Folding solar panal.

byron

mornings.
Can anyone tell me if I can connect a folding solar panal to my leisure batteries,even though I have solar on roof.thanks in advance.

mornings.
Can anyone tell me if I can connect a folding solar panal to my leisure batteries,even though I have solar on roof.thanks in advance.
Simple answer...Yes, but if you don't use a solar controller between the panel and battery then..
1, you lose about 20% efficiency by not using an MPPT controller.
2, You'll overcharge your battery if you leave it connected after the battery has become fully charged, you need to remove it when the battery voltage reaches say 14.6V. Probably best to buy a cheap solar controller and use that too, a plain old PWM controller won't give you any additional efficiency but it'll save you battery if you accidentally leave it connected.

If you dont have a sep controler then wire a cigy socket to the input of the one you have, then fitt a cigy plug on the solar output wires and plug in, do mark this cigy socket as solar input only.

Simple answer...Yes, but if you don't use a solar controller between the panel and battery then..
2, You'll overcharge your battery if you leave it connected after the battery has become fully charged, you need to remove it when the battery voltage reaches say 14.6V. Probably best to buy a cheap solar controller and use that too, a plain old PWM controller won't give you any additional efficiency but it'll save you battery if you accidentally leave it connected.
1 Cup.. It's got solar controller built in.so,ok then.thanks
Our posts crossed 🤣

If you dont have a sep controler then wire a cigy socket to the input of the one you have, then fitt a cigy plug on the solar output wires and plug in, do mark this cigy socket as solar input only.

As he has a built in controller on the panels Trev, I wonder if it would be worth making a permanent external connection to the batteries so windows or doors don't need to be left open with wires trailing to the outside. Something like this waterproof Anderson connector;

Those who know more than I can probably advise on the wisdom of this though!

It comes with a 30a pwm controller.is this ok.thanks

Are you getting low on power in mornings ? Summer / winter or is it a store under bed thing .? Free be. Your personal useage should be ! Overnight Night amps + mornings. Replenishing at what time of that 24 hours / day . When van inuse.

I just got a adjustable 2000w 30ltr water heater for £130 from Germany / China as my 500w of panels stop charging / go's dormant. In the summer. So got this biggest one
And extra 260w pannel for winter ! What sizes pannels are on your roof ? Mite just need a clean.
wildebus points this out in other posts !

20240714_110912.jpg

mornings.
Absolutely, you can connect a folding solar panel to your leisure batteries even if you already have solar on the roof. Just make sure to use a compatible charge controller that can handle inputs from both sources to prevent overcharging. It’s a great way to maximize your power, especially when parked in the shade or needing extra energy.

Back