Fogstar Lithium Batteries

I've watched many lifepo4 teardowns on YouTube over the years and up until recently all of the internals are much the same and certainly not different enough to justify some of the super high prices. A slight worry with build quality recently with some of the cheap batteries is a move to pouch cells. One budget brand(can't recall) has built up a good following on the net over the past year or so but a recent review and tear down of a current supply shows that they've now stopped using prismatic cells (like virtually everyone uses) and gone to pouch cells. The battery still performs ok but longevity is a big unknown and probably will be for several years until they've proved themselves. Pouch cells are used in phones, from my personal experience 3 years seems to be end of life which will be bad news in a MH.

Battery's prove the point. Its all over priced ! My first lithium 100ah cost 400ish no heat no Bluetooth no temp. 2020 second hand . Still in a box somewhere now. So paid for its self from 3 years use . .Evan at 400 plus solar controller so £600 includes £200 for 100/30 . Never run out of power . But run out of gas once a year ! Thankfully all the times was near to stockists 7.5kg

yesterday Jackson in L1, 500w solar controller now £162 = 100/ 50 = 25% less for 2024

To buy and get warranty here in the UK is all I ever wanted

Fogstar has the best prices I've seen 2024.

I've watched many lifepo4 teardowns on YouTube over the years and up until recently all of the internals are much the same and certainly not different enough to justify some of the super high prices. A slight worry with build quality recently with some of the cheap batteries is a move to pouch cells. One budget brand(can't recall) has built up a good following on the net over the past year or so but a recent review and tear down of a current supply shows that they've now stopped using prismatic cells (like virtually everyone uses) and gone to pouch cells. The battery still performs ok but longevity is a big unknown and probably will be for several years until they've proved themselves. Pouch cells are used in phones, from my personal experience 3 years seems to be end of life which will be bad news in a MH.
You shouldn't mix up the LiFePO4 pouch cells used in earlier (and some current) Lithium Leisure batteries with the LiPo Pouch cells used in Mobile Phones, Laptops, etc.
They are very different and the only similarity is the superficially similar appearance.

I reckon I BMS is essential, victron controllers avoid charging below 5c, but this can be removed if you have heaters.

I reckon Alpha batteries would not sell anything unless they reckoned they were up to the job. I bought two Xplorer polarmax 100ah batteries with Bluetooth, and heaters. They come with a ten year guarantee and you can now get them for £360 each after the 7.5% discount. Lithium batteries are a game changer, double usable capacity and half the weight, they should be standard by now. As for those who say they are more expensive, well a good lead battery may get you 300 recycles, my lithium should give 5000.
300 you say, standard yes lead carbon better.
lead loach.png

I replaced the 95Ah AGM in my camper with the Fogstar Drift 105 a few weeks ago, and the difference is incredible. Not only does it provide twice the run time, but also charges significantly quicker, and the voltage doesn't sag much under load.

I am that impressed that just yesterday I called into their office and bought a 280Ah 24V monster to replace the 8 x FLA batteries on my home solar system.

That's my Easter weekend sorted! And.. another Bluetooth app to play with 🙂

300 you say, standard yes lead carbon better.View attachment 129429
Trev my van came with two lead batteries, and I sold them on here. Honestly Trev, I would not pay £50 for a lead carbon battery. Ok they’re better than AGM and technically you can take 70% of capacity, but not without lowering significantly the life of the battery. I would say that you really only effectively have half of the capacity. With lithium you can use the whole lot, but if you use 50% you will get 5000 recharges, whereas your lead carbon may manage 4- 500 Therefore lithium are actually cheaper than lead carbon in the long term. They charge quicker, they are half the weight. If treated properly, my lithium batteries may actually be usable when the van is finished. Take my advice make lithium your next choice, you won’t regret it. I doubt if anyone now using lithium would ever go back to lead batteries of any type.

Last edited:
300 you say, standard yes lead carbon better.View attachment 129429
I always advocated Carbon previously Trev but carbon has been going up and lithium has come down in price. Those carbons above now cost new nearly £2 per Ah that's only marginally cheaper than lithium now the prices have come down. Bang for your buck I feel that lithium has crossed the line. My carbons are still going strong but unless carbon prices reduce I reckon it's lithium next time around.

Trev no doubt has a shed load of spare carrying capacity in his van so can have a huge bank of lead or lead carbon batteries. At 3500KG and even those whose GVW has bee uprated to 3800KG, lithium does make a lot more sense.
I dumped my 3 x 95ah lead batteries for 1 300ah lithium, then decided to get another 300ah and still have a bit of spare space to fill with, I don't know, extra undies I suppose.

Trev no doubt has a shed load of spare carrying capacity in his van so can have a huge bank of lead or lead carbon batteries.
Well I now have 8 Rolls S290 6v batteries for sale if anyone is interested, and has a spare 1/2 tonne of payload to carry them!

Perfect for a 24v or 48v home ESS though 👍

Trev my van came with two lead batteries, and I sold them on here. Honestly Trev, I would not pay £50 for a lead carbon battery. Ok they’re better than AGM and technically you can take 70% of capacity, but not without lowering significantly the life of the battery. I would say that you really only effectively have half of the capacity. With lithium you can use the whole lot, but if you use 50% you will get 5000 recharges, whereas your lead carbon may manage 4- 500 Therefore lithium are actually cheaper than lead carbon in the long term. They charge quicker, they are half the weight. If treated properly, my lithium batteries may actually be usable when the van is finished. Take my advice make lithium your next choice, you won’t regret it. I doubt if anyone now using lithium would ever go back to lead batteries of any type.
ive use lithium for over 5 years now and wouldnt think of using anything else now

I replaced the 95Ah AGM in my camper with the Fogstar Drift 105 a few weeks ago, and the difference is incredible. Not only does it provide twice the run time, but also charges significantly quicker, and the voltage doesn't sag much under load.

I am that impressed that just yesterday I called into their office and bought a 280Ah 24V monster to replace the 8 x FLA batteries on my home solar system.

That's my Easter weekend sorted! And.. another Bluetooth app to play with 🙂
If anyone's interested, here's the before and after pictures following fitting my new toy today. The Fogstar weighs a little less than just two of the Rolls, and is half the footprint for the same usuable capacity.

Astonishing how quickly it is sucking up charge compared to the FLA as well.

So far so good 🙂

Before
PXL_20240329_100814087.jpg

After
PXL_20240329_112038014.jpg

If anyone's interested, here's the before and after pictures following fitting my new toy today. The Fogstar weighs a little less than just two of the Rolls, and is half the footprint for the same usuable capacity.
Nice Setup (y)

Astonishing how quickly it is sucking up charge compared to the FLA as well.
This is why it is so important to consider this aspect of Lithium and how it may affect an existing setup, not just think about 'Oh, less weight, less space' etc.
If someone had a standard motorhome/campervan setup and just 'dropped in' a Lithium Battery in its place - even ignoring the question of there being a suitable charging profile aspect for Lithum - the extra strain on the chargers that were spec'ed to deal with maybe 80-150 worth of Lead Acid battery and their 10%-15% rate of charge (which is why the power ratings tend to be pretty low) having to charge 200Ah of Lithium at a potential 50%-100% charge rate can be terminal when they are running at full capacity for hour after hour after hour.
For example, I would never use the chargers within the Sargent electrical system in my Motorhome with a Lithium Battery. It would be a virtual guarantee of failure in the near future and result in the need to replace an fairly expensive bit of kit.

The kit shown in the photos on the quoted post is a perfect example of how it IS possible to "drop in" a Lithium Battery to replace the Lead Battery Bank as they will all work with both Lead and Lithium types of battery AND will work flat out for hours without complaint.

Maybe go lith next time round, what worries me is i have electric drills on lith and phones, both suffered battey swell and died, lead acids tend to give you a slow warning on death, then the fact that im never away more than one overnight in my van so may not get the full use out of liths, last set of batteries cost me £40 each times 2.

Maybe go lith next time round, what worries me is i have electric drills on lith and phones, both suffered battey swell and died, lead acids tend to give you a slow warning on death, then the fact that im never away more than one overnight in my van so may not get the full use out of liths, last set of batteries cost me £40 each times 2.
Entirely different chemistry is used in LiFePO4 batteries...

Very safe and very long lasting.

Not worth it for your usage by the sounds of that Trev. Not unless prices similar when you come to change them

My batteries have a ten year warranty Trev. Manufacturers don’t hand out warranties like that unless they are sure of what they are selling. As I said Trev, I doubt if anyone using lithium would ever consider going back to lead batteries.
My batteries have a Bluetooth BMS, and heaters. If you feel you don’t need these things, then you could buy lithium for around the same as your lead carbon batteries. I reckon soon lithium will become a standard for all new vans, and not before time.

My batteries have a ten year warranty Trev. Manufacturers don’t hand out warranties like that unless they are sure of what they are selling. As I said Trev, I doubt if anyone using lithium would ever consider going back to lead batteries.
My batteries have a Bluetooth BMS, and heaters. If you feel you don’t need these things, then you could buy lithium for around the same as your lead carbon batteries. I reckon soon lithium will become a standard for all new vans, and not before

. We're see on the warranty ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:150)

jacquigem, wildebus, Fisherman, jeffmossy, exwindsurfer, mark61, mistericeman, Nabsim, Canalsman, saxonborg, clarkpeacock, alwaysared, Tim120, merl, molly 2, Charlynch, DTF, Steve and Julie, guerdeval, TeamRienza, Calianbay, 1807truckman, Dowel, SimonM, trevskoda, Bigshug, Admin, winks, davep10000, st3v3, Obanboy666, AllanD, Boris7, bnb080, hamsterberg27, robert webber, Red Kev, Andys, CuckooChaser, Pudsey Bear, rugbyken, Heppy, Benylin, Ian1968, 1 Cup, britcoms, bmc, bdastu, chrishunter, VandA, DesSWFC, Fazerloz, yeoblade, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Alberto, Okta, Daz Newcastle, kevlakes, mikejay, Bouydog, Lee, Ukkiwi, Neckender, alan1958, Dezi, peejay, katv, Redcallaway1, disco257, alanandchrissy, kingfisher1, Bat21, Grim the Viking, Tarmacapache, BigAldo, Twithooks, Old Man Down, Mick67, GeoffL, Quiddle, mralan2, Big G, Livotlout, MartinFife, campnomad, Trotter, ironman, iampatman, AndyJL, Lizzie, Makzine, jimmybanks41, smg, linkshouse, glekay, Rosehip, Faith shields, ajb70, spigot, NSY, Tartarus, The black dug, Glandwr, Snuffkin, Brad, Harrytherid, cooperman, Harrers, adriandp, Yorkshirehead, tommi, hellofriend, number14, Greengrass, Rapido9, BarryNo1, Silew, davef, Rong, BKCharles, fab Rab, Debs, prioryi, teckguy, jennyp19, funkyronster, Adriafan, Forcesixwindy, rambrose, Dreamcatchers, V1nny, veggiehouse, Owlsnest56, Patandtubs, Daz65, sonic650, IanJ, ChrisCross, Wardy73, barrypat, 2Coops, paulhelenwilko, polo99, RegnVal, Sean, Texastom, Canonball, Mikecoo, gripseven, LesleyC,
Back