Fly to Uk and self-isolate in Motorhome ?

Just booked our day 2&8 tests for £116 each. Such profiteering going on...a couple were priced at £575 each! Worth working your way through the lists and price checking. Lowest price was £99 but have to book well in advance for that. Worth checking their cancellation fees too, some were free if product not been dispatched and others were £35 . Just in case they change the traffic light status before you leave. Being reassessed three weekly.

Thanks Ruth,
Yes noticed the price variations.
Will checkout cancellation as well...will send pm

Reactions: REC
Well that is a big YIPPEE.
  • Campsite booked in the knowledge we will be self isolating
  • A return email from NHS test and trace confirming we can indeed use the campsite
  • A day 2 and 8 test provider confirms that if we could not fly they would refund the fees (about £400 for both of us)
  • Passenger locator web registration in progress
So
Flights to be booked (via Frankfurt) to Birmingham.
Bangkok hotel to be booked. (3 nights)
PCR tests to be booked in Bangkok.
Taxi needed from Birmingham to Newent

Locksmith needed to open the wallet

Thanks to all for the inherent and direct support
Whilst we are quite comfortable here in Thailand but a return to uk is important to us
  • Motorhome issues and usage
  • Vaccine available to us in UK
We can wear the extra costs without a problem. (he posts very quietly)
We hope to have a pleasant summer in UK
A mini-tour on Scotland (Kintyre) and then the Scottish meets followed by the New Forest Hereford and Stratford.
Just hope the vaccinations do not impinge ..but no matter
The last week or so has been a bit stressful, waiting for the rules and then checking our plans are ok

Last edited:
All going well !followed uo on
Flights Booked ( a bit of hassle and (as yet) an unknown extra charge..to be queried)
Lufthansa we-site ..rubbish ..difficult to read even on a 16in screen ..and more (restricted payment options)
Hotel BKK booked
PCR tests BKK booked
UK Camp booked
UK PCR tests booked
UK Taxi booked
Have to wait until just before flight for UK passenger locator completion
Motorhome tax on 1st June
Thailand items next week ( 3 month check-in & re-entry permit)
Minor change in that our usual tran from Uttaradit to BKK is nor running
This was an express train leaving at 13;30 and arriving 19:30. (or later)
No matter the normal train is at 10am and arrives about 6pm slower but timings better
Useful news from UK in that they will be able to document our vaccines on the "MyGP" app
Our BKK hotel is in a different area . It is very near the "Travel Clinic" which should be easier
We have to visit to get tested and then again the next daay for documentation)
Looks good @£30 a night..We have to pay for 3 nights even though we will leave about 7pm on the 3rd evening as the flight is at 11pm

Hope you are not too bored with the detail !

Looking good for your visit....after all that planning and scheming you will be so glad to get into your motorhome in UK!

Looking good for your visit....after all that planning and scheming you will be so glad to get into your motorhome in UK!
Very much so.Thanks
NOW hassle with flights
Lufthansa emailed me alerting to a change meaning a 10 hour plus stopover in Frankfurt (from 2 hours)
No good too late in Birmingham
Full refund offered and accepted AFTER re-booking with KLM !
KLM arrives in Birmingham at 10 am which is fine.
Airlines are now verging on scammers I chose seats and was charged £200 extra.
Very careful on the KLM site but still minor fee even for a basic seat ! How does that work ?
I am content to pay extra for hold baggage as I realise that costs them extra.

Last edited:
Are they the same as others in that if you don't pay to book seats, they will allocate on arrival? It is always the same...base price just escalates!

Rebooking with KLM we paid a minimal amout but they also "Allow you to pay even more" for certain seats
With Thai Eva and BA we never had this and with Thai we did sometimes book sests ahead

I cannot remenber paying extra before
With kLM we again paid a bit more for hold baggage

For 2 single tickets it was £660 compared with £860 with lufthansa !

as I posted before "Scammers"

Why would you? The rules say you must not leave the premises, not even to walk a dog. All exercise must be taken inside the place you're stopping. They're saying you can't even go outside. I presume you can stop in your motothome as you propose but you're not allowed to step outside it, not even to buy food.
Check out the section "

What you can and cannot do in quarantine"​

Last edited:
Why would you? The rules say you must not leave the premises, not even to walk a dog. All exercise must be taken inside the place you're stopping. They're saying you can't even go outside. I presume you can stop in your as you propose but you're not allowed to step outside it, not even to buy food.
Check out the section "

What you can and cannot do in quarantine"​

Why would he what, Pete? :unsure: 🤷‍♀️

There are folk getting round this by landing in Belfast before getting a lift down south.

Fly to the UK and self-isolate in a motorhome

Because he needs to and wants to?
No need to justify anything to anyone, especially when the folk asking know nothing about someone's personal circumstances.
It is not yours, or my, decision to make on whether he should or not, or to judge, imo.

Self isolating in a motorhome has been discussed several times in here over the last year or more.
If all sensible precautions are taken - and I'm sure Phil is an eminently sensible person - then there is very little risk to anyone.

Certainly no more a risk than hugging each other, or getting p*ssed down the pub with your mates (Indian variant hotspots included in that mandate).

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back