Fly to Uk and self-isolate in Motorhome ?

jagmanx

We hope to Fly to Uk and self-isolate in our vehicle (self-contained).
1 has anyone done this ?
2 anyone think it will be allowable

New regs next week.
I suspect Thailand will be amber rather than green.
Finland probably also amber.
So flights via Finland both cheaper and more convenient than Thai Airways.
Both these use LHR ...a nightmare.
We could also fly via Frankfurt to Birmingham.
This only works if we can isolate in the vehicle...If not it will be LHR and isolate in A friends house.
They have both had covid and been vaccinated(2)

EDIT
After May 17....., Early June

Last edited:
Presume you will need to use a campsite address to self isolate in motorhome? Both options would seem sensible to me but I'm no expert!

As far as i read its 10 days in a selected hotel at a cost of £1.700, no exceptions, unless you land in N Ireland and sneak in through the back door, folk from the irish republic are doing this on coming home. :(

As far as i read its 10 days in a selected hotel at a cost of £1.700, no exceptions, unless you land in N Ireland and sneak in through the back door, folk from the irish republic are doing this on coming home. :(
Not after 17th May Trev..
Sorry did not make that clear. OP edited
Early June is our "plan"

Last edited:
We returned in late March from Spain and self-isolated on our daughter's drive. The significant things for you are that the Passenger Locator Form that you have to fill in before arrival allows you to self-isolate at an address that is not your own but that you do have to provide an address of some kind. I assume that this address could be a campsite but, presumably, you would need to find one willing to let you do so.

We returned in late March from Spain and self-isolated on our daughter's drive. The significant things for you are that the Passenger Locator Form that you have to fill in before arrival allows you to self-isolate at an address that is not your own but that you do have to provide an address of some kind. I assume that this address could be a campsite but, presumably, you would need to find one willing to let you do so.
Thanks John,
I have 3 options which are all viable !
A friends house (Maidenhead) Already agreed.
A campsite near Slimbridge Gloucester
A campsite near Maidenhead.
A tad early to be asking the campsites just yet.
But I agree all (that is any one not all 3) should be allowed !

How can you travel to your van of friends house to isolate. When you arrive at the airport your transported by special bus to isolation hotel. What I've read isolation at campsite etc is if you arrive into UK in your van. But all could be changed by June but you need official instructions could be expensive if you got it wrong

How can you travel to your van of friends house to isolate. When you arrive at the airport your transported by special bus to isolation hotel. What I've read isolation at campsite etc is if you arrive into UK in your van. But all could be changed by June but you need official instructions could be expensive if you got it wrong

Thats from a country on the Red list, where you will need to do managed hotel quarantine.

From Amber you are allowed to use public transport (if no other options) to where you are isolating.

As you say, could all change by June.

I Appreciate your comments.
It does seem that travel to your address of isolation is allowed. (As it must be if self-isolation is allowed)
As you post I need to read the edicts due to be published next week.
The idea of being forced to quarantine is unsatisfactory if we comply with all the testing and self-isolation requirements !
I fear an enquiry would not get a quick or valid response !
Ps if 2 weeks quarantine is needed....We simply will not fly. !
But the powers that be seem to want to allow international travel with care !

Thanks John,
A friends house (Maidenhead) Already agreed.
A campsite near Maidenhead.
A tad early to be asking the campsites just yet.
But I agree all (that is any one not all 3) should be allowed !
Good luck, whatever you decide but as far as it being too early to book campsites is concerned, I would disagree. Campsites are filling up because more people are staying in the UK, so I would enquire as early as you can. Mind you, they may not be willing to give you an answer until after May 17th and the next revision of the rules because things might not proceed as expected if the pandemic picks up again.

Good luck, whatever you decide but as far as it being too early to book campsites is concerned, I would disagree. Campsites are filling up because more people are staying in the UK, so I would enquire as early as you can. Mind you, they may not be willing to give you an answer until after May 15th and the next revision of the rules because things might not proceed as expected if the pandemic picks up again.
Thanks again.
Yes I will look to book soon but will await next week's announcement

Lots of ifs and buts and need to wait.
We could get our vehicle delivered to a campsite.
And get a taxi to said campsite.
Jus exploring..as Meg posts need to wait and see !
Looks like a feasible plan though. France is dropping its lockdown rules from 3/5 and fewer certificates will be needed. Hoping BJ announces the traffic light status of countries soon...he said early May. We have delayed our return to UK for a further week as it seems likely to be easier, and in no rush. Lockdown here is in the final phase from tonight. No cases in our area last month. So might get out and do a couple of trips to beauty spots which we have been unable to visit this time.

Yes Ruth, I thought you would be waiting ntil things are clearer/more settled.Maybe mid-May for you.
I have a campsite in mind and first contact was good.
If this is confirmed as a viable isolation location..We will fly tl===o Birmingham (via Germany) and taxi direct to Campsite.
I am pretty sure our strage team will be able to deliver the vehicle to th campsire (5 miles).
I expect you are aware of the rising cases in Thailaand.
Also vaccination very slow and lack of supplies.
Hving been better off here up until now..things are changng ! We are keen to get to UK and get our jabs there
Have to see what next week brings !#too Paraphrase Old Mr Grace "Good luck everybody"

Thanks John,

Is that the Tudor Arms?

We used to go there as one of our 'local' sites when we lived in Cirencester. Very pleasant too: decent pub and lovely canal walks when you are able to.

Is that the Tudor Arms?

We used to go there as one of our 'local' sites when we lived in Cirencester. Very pleasant too: decent pub and lovely canal walks when you are able to.
No We have used Elm Farm near Cambridge.
I have contacted a campsite near Newent.
They seem ok to isolate and easier to get the Vehicle moved to there.
So plans in mind but nothing booked !

Last edited:
Reactions: REC
Well at least Thailand is ok even though it is amber.
Self-isolation on a decent campsite....even though their showers will not be used !
we are fully self-contained so care with emptying and fresh water.
A Few details to tease out before booking flights and tests !
As has been written on various platforms .....The "Green list" is woefully over-conservative (IMO) with over 50% being of no benefit or too small !

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back