Flurescent tube v's LED?

hairytoes

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking on here for a while, reading & digesting as much as poss.

I've just bought my self a van (FFB Talber 2.5td 1991, 60k) & I'm fairly happy with it.

It has a 80 watt solar panel & a 115 amp leisure battery, which I'm hoping will be enough to see us by, as I don't really plan to use much power - maybe run the laptop & the pumps (taps/shower) & lights.

Here's the question (always is one, from us newbies:D), I have flurescent tube lighting & I understand LCD is the way to go in terms of power savings.

Although, I reckon there may (?) not really be much in it - but perhaps it could save me up to 2/3rds in power?

If it does save on power, do I need to replace all the units, or can you guys (& gals) maybe reccommend a surce of 2 pin flurescent LCD tubes that are about 300mm in length.

Each lighting unit takes 2 tubes.

I can only find the large LCD tubes, as would be used in an office.

Great site & I'm glad to be posting at last instead of lurking - cos, now I'm a Camperman!!:p

Go for LED

Those 30cm flouriscent tubes are almost history. 3 years ago I had to change one; could find any. There was only 1 brand left (Sylvania) to make these. I changed everyting to 12v halogens and last year I changed those for LED's (same socket). LED's are really the future: very low energy consumption, no heat. And they are now available in warmer white too instead of that blueish white. Go for LED :)
OK, it's a lot of DIY to change the sockets but it is worth it :cool:

Those 30cm flouriscent tubes are almost history. 3 years ago I had to change one; could find any. There was only 1 brand left (Sylvania) to make these. I changed everyting to 12v halogens and last year I changed those for LED's (same socket). LED's are really the future: very low energy consumption, no heat. And they are now available in warmer white too instead of that blueish white. Go for LED :)
OK, it's a lot of DIY to change the sockets but it is worth it :cool:

Thanks for reply Belgian (love the chocolate by the way!)

Are LED, really MUCH more energy efficient than what I have, as unless they will really saveon my power usage, compared to the flurescent tubes - I don't NEED to change them.

I'm want to wild camp a lot of the time, in fact most of the time & TBH I'd rather not change all the lighting in the van - but if it is essential, then I'll have to bite the bucket.

Any pointers on how to go about this, I suppose there may be a kinda tutorial somewhere on a self build webpage, or maybe the new light kit comes with kickass instructions.

I can see why a major majority of campers are retired, there is a lot of work/money involved in keeping a good wee van in good condition.

Hi!

Are LED, really MUCH more energy efficient than what I have, as unless they will really saveon my power usage, compared to the flurescent tubes - I don't NEED to change them.
Sorry to disappoint you, but NO! Practically all white LEDs which are currently on the market are still less efficient than the bog-standard fluorescent tube. Most are even significantly less efficient.

The "efficiency" of light sources used for illumination is expressed in terms of "luminous efficacy", a quantity measured in the units "lumen per watt" [lm/W]. Some figures: Ordinary light bulbs have about 10-15 lm/W, halogen lamps 25-35 lm/W, and fluorescent tubes between 80 an 110 lm/W.

Widely available white LEDs range from about 20 lm/W (cheap ones) up to about 35-40 lm/W (top-range models), so it takes the best to even compete with halogen lamps. The very latest models which have just recently entered the market can reach up to 90 lm/W, so come close to FL tubes, but are still extremely expensive and have a rather short lifespan. And require special fittings and electronic control circuits.

However, prototype LEDs meanwhile reach up to 150 lm/W, so I would guess that in about 1-2 years from now LEDs will become a reasonable alternative even for FL tubes.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

Like I said I replaced 4 two-pin halogens (20W each) for LED's (same size, a bundle of 18 LED's in each one). The LED's only have 3W consumption; instead of 80W I have now only 12W. So, I have more than 6x lower consumption, or lighting time if you like. They are factory-guaranteed for 20,000 hours working time. They cost about 10€ a piece (not cheap; but certainly prices will go down in the future). Of course I didn't have to replace the sockets, for the LED's are the same 2-pin as the halogens.
But I have to admid, the light production seems slighly lower for the light is more dispersed than the halogens.
(I know, I made it difficult for you to decide :eek::p)
Regards
Leo

Hi!

halogen lamps 25-35 lm/W,

Widely available white LEDs range from about 20 lm/W (cheap ones) up to about 35-40 lm/W (top-range models), so it takes the best to even compete with halogen lamps. And require special fittings and electronic control circuits.

Hi. Just bought 3.6w 180 lm LED. So that is 50 lm/w. It has replaced a 20w halogen with equal lm. I dont know what happend to my halogen= 9 lm/w pretty poor. For the same light I am saving 16.4 watts on 1 bulb. No BS just pull the halogen and push the LED. Thats what I know for sure and all the BS will not convince me otherwise. All the 12v fluro fittings and lamps do not last in my experience. At least with LED / halogen lights I can have quality fittings. What I am saying is use your fluros untill they go bung then replace them or it will be never ending.
Just my 2p worth.
Cheers.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I have fitted led's and also left on the old flurescent's Just did a quick test and the tube is drawing 9.8w and 3 low power led's are running at 1.3w

The overall lighting is simila, the led's are a little dimmer but there's not a lot in it.

Mark

http://led_lamp.china-direct-buy.com/v/4/product_detail/5042662/LED_Tube.html

The above link seems to show a direct replacement LED tube, with a 2 prong T5 standard fitting.

After much net browsing, I think I've found that these exist in China & are able to work from a standard Flurescent fitting - however they are only available in large quanties for export (that I can find, anyway).

They seem to be 2w & my flurescents are 8w - so not a massive difference, but it all adds up.

I think I'll keep my standard flurescents & wait until the LED bulbs come over here in a few months (you know that they will).

That way, I'll save on replacing the fittings & in the mean time, it ain't a massive loss in power from 8w-2w.

Just chucking in my bit - Tubes give a good spread of light and my van is also fitted with one of those new 'W' shaped tubes in a square light, it is so good it's almost too bright!! Older style tubes ALWAYS caused some sort of interference... a buzz on the radio, sparkles or lines on the TV etc. LED's use a bit less power and with no start up draw and NO interference.

It's the new trend for halogen downlighters stuck under cupboards etc where you really gain, most of your tubes are only 8 or 13w and halogens (in my case) start at 20w, so to replace with LED's and run at 1.3w and no heat is a real gain.

If you're happy with the tubes and don't suffer from any interference why change them? Now if like my van there's two or three halogens drawing 20w each in every area then yes replace at least one in each are like I have.

Hi!

Hi. Just bought 3.6w 180 lm LED. So that is 50 lm/w.
Could you give me a link to the specs resp. the dealer? Because I am still looking for LED replacements for some halogen lamps, but I require not only significant improvement in efficiency, but also reliability.

The previous ones I had tested have failed miserably in both categories.

And: 9 lm/W is pretty poor for a halogen lamp, even an ordinary bulb should achieve this. How did you determine this value?

Best Regards,
Gerhard

LED the WAY!

I have a N+B with the "Airplane Lights" at the ceiling above the cabinets. They were really nifty except 12 fluorescents pulled down over 170 Watts!!! at 12v that's a whopping 12 Amps/Hr. bringing down the average battery bank in less than 10 hours. Useless for wild-ing. So this year I have found LED strip lights from SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home (USA)(yes, I'm a yank!) that each have 6 SMD 1/2 Watt LEDS that produce over 90 L/W each. Each strip can be cut in half (3 LEDS) and that puts their real world brightness equal to that of a 12" Fluorescent Bulb yet consumes less than 1.5 Watts each! They are 3200K so they are considered cool white and appear quite natural at night. So I have replaced all of these Fluorescents(12), and all of the reading lamps (MR-16)(6) with LEDS and now run the lot for only 1.8 Ampere consumption total. Its really cool to be the brightest spot on any wild site and besides it really pisses off the Krauts that we can be so well lit without running the genny!

LEDS have come a long way. My research yielded this advice. Look for SMD (Surface Mounted Device) LED's they are the brightest. Avoid those tiny little clear plastic bulbs that are often arrayed into clusters - they don't put out anything! Also look to the devices that have a wide angle of output 120 degrees or better, it really makes a difference in the dispersion of the light. Be very careful of the voltage tolerances - 12v doesn't always work out, If you are on charge and your reaching 14.4v that can do in some very expensive LEDs. Look for LEDs tolerant from 5-30v. there are many that operate in this range, even on A/C or DC current too!

OK that's it... Class dismissed.

I recommend the lamps that Ultra LED are selling, a fabulous improvement all-round and yes, I can see. Just beware the current description, "Mood-lighting".

It means you have to fumble-about amongst dim lighting that is fine for romancing though very poor for even pouring your wine.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back