flooding in Hereford

TllRWY4.jpg

I work in Hereford a lot, the AirBNB a few of us stay in in Greyfriars Road has been flooded and shown on the BBC news.
We where only not in it this week as it was booked to someone else.
Not good at all for the owners and residents.

Yes I saw the report on 5 news yesterday. Showed the rowing club sign where you turn off the main road covered in flood water. They then showed the local shops which you walk past on the way into town seriously flooded out.
No wonder the club house is on stilts. Wonder if anyone got caught out on the field below where we normally park?

It will only get worse.

They are still building thousands of houses on flood plains everywhere.

Got a letter last week saying that to the left of the Penwortham Bypass ( as going towards Leyland ) they are building 1,000 + houses on Green Belt land.

The land owner must have known someone that knows someone that knows someone because the fields there are that wet they don`t even put livestock on them.

Got a letter last week saying that to the left of the Penwortham Bypass ( as going towards Leyland ) they are building 1,000 + houses on Green Belt land.

The land owner must have known someone that knows someone that knows someone because the fields there are that wet they don`t even put livestock on them.

You don't reckon somebody is getting a bung somewhere do you Graham.

No, silly me!

so 3 Problems
1 Corruption
2 Building on what seems like a flood plain therefore increasing the height of waters whn flooding occurs
3 Insurance for the homeowners
Only solution to 3 is more land filling to raise the level of the whole plot(s) and roadways sewerage..Which of course exacerbates no 2 !
A "lose lose" situation

There is a sign inside the rowing club at the bottom of the stairs, showing a previous flood level. It has exceeded that. The whole area has been really bad.

We now live about 20 miles South in a cottage that has neen flooded twice before, less than 100m from the Monnow.
Luckily we were OK this time. It's not the river that floods the cottage it's surface water. We were worse last October. Every time we get a storm warning Phill goes out & checks/clears all the drains & culverts. He is quicker & more efficient than the council & Balfour Beatty.

Traditionally, towns and cities being built on rivers have of course grown into the modern conurbations we see today, obviously the rivers back then were the arteries of the country. Also land reclamation has put humans where they were never meant to be. That with the rapidly expanding population is a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately, people want/have to live where industry is thriving, so no easy answers I'm afraid. :(

Traditionally, towns and cities being built on rivers have of course grown into the modern conurbations we see today, obviously the rivers back then were the arteries of the country. Also land reclamation has put humans where they were never meant to be. That with the rapidly expanding population is a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately, people want/have to live where industry is thriving, so no easy answers I'm afraid. :(
I agree Rob more and more houses are planned earmarked for flood plains and green belt which feeds us .

It’s daft we are not listening to Mother Nature who ultimately holds the answers to most things ....it will bite us on the arse convinced of that

No, we need to reduce the size of human population.

I guess if the flooding gets really, really bad it might do some of the job for us.
I genuinely believe in Mother Nature holds all the answers she has been around far longer than humans as a species and be around afterwards, she has beaten every threat so far and can’t see that changing man and human interference is akin to a parasite...she has never lost....it might all sound a bit bizarre bordering like a religious view but I am convinced she holds all the key answers

Just went to the Coop for some bread and the wee back roads closed due to flooding🤷‍♂️ There’s an old railway bridge and the road dips under it and the drain must be blocked. Some mallet in a wee Corsa has got flooded and stuck under the bridge and is being rescued by the fire brigade. I hope they get the bill for the rescue😡

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back