Fixed bed vs no fixed bed?

Morning MSG,
Yeah A Lay in, A Cafeteria of Coffee, A Giant Fruit n Nut Cookie from Tesco, Snug as a Zombie in a Rug Ahhh Yep it’s One of the life of the Dammed Luxuries !.

Definitely............

......a fixed bed for me. The slight reduction in daytime living space hasn't been an issue since I get out of the Moho at every opportunity. My Auto Sleeper Palermo is about 7 metres long.

Colin 😊😊😊

Morning MSG,
Yeah A Lay in, A Cafeteria of Coffee, A Giant Fruit n Nut Cookie from Tesco, Snug as a Zombie in a Rug Ahhh Yep it’s One of the life of the Dammed Luxuries !.

That’ll all change a bit later, don’t get too settled....!

Currently in the final stages of building our camper. Not only a fixed bed, but it needs to be an island bed, accessible from both sides. We went this route a couple of years ago in our touring caravan, and having now decided on four wheels rather than tow, this was the number 1 priority in our build.
Like the snowgoose, be interested in what the base vehicle is. I would imagine you'd need to be at least 7' wide internally to allow that?

Something that is equally important as the question on Fixed Vs a highly make-it-up bed is the SIZE of the bed.
On many Campers the size of a Tranporter, people seem to opt for storage space along one size and install a 3/4 width seat-cum-bed. A 3/4 width bed is only 3' wide (i.e. standard Single) and is mighty cramped for 2 people.

And as an aside.. I wonder how many folks who say they wouldn't have a fixed bed as it takes up too much room have a dedicated shower/WC room?
That takes up near enough space as half a double-bed and is use for probably less than 20-30 minutes a day compared to 7-9 hours for a bed.

Like the snowgoose, be interested in what the base vehicle is. I would imagine you'd need to be at least 7' wide internally to allow that?

Something that is equally important as the question on Fixed Vs a highly make-it-up bed is the SIZE of the bed.
On many Campers the size of a Tranporter, people seem to opt for storage space along one size and install a 3/4 width seat-cum-bed. A 3/4 width bed is only 3' wide (i.e. standard Single) and is mighty cramped for 2 people.

And as an aside.. I wonder how many folks who say they wouldn't have a fixed bed as it takes up too much room have a dedicated shower/WC room?
That takes up near enough space as half a double-bed and is use for probably less than 20-30 minutes a day compared to 7-9 hours for a bed.
Some very good points, wildebus.

I'm off to do a Google and see if I can find anybody in the world who has a better bed solution than the ones already on offer in your standard motorhome.

Got to admit the Hymer-type drop downs seem to work well, as do the over the cab beds, except the latter involves some gymnastics, and whilst I'm still fairly fit climbing up and down a ladder etc. to squeeze myself into a small space every night doesn't really appeal.

It's all about compromise, compromise, compromise.

The headache with the bed issue for me is the overall length/width of the rig needed to achieve permanent made-up bed status!

Just some thing on making up a bed, On the T5 the layout I did was a pair of side benches and then pull out a slat section and then cushions on top - pretty classic motorhome style I think? End result was a comfy bed around 5' wide so that part was good :)
Didn't take long to do but I found I had a REALLY painful hip each morning after building the bed due to the clambering around (turns out got some bursitis and that clambering inflamed it significantly), so not onlt was making the bed up a PITA, it was also literally a pain in the hip :(

Those electric over-cab beds look to be the ideal solution if a rig allows for one. Leave bed fully made up and drop it when you want to use it.

Hi Marie, my bed is a semi-permanent bed, and I mostly leave it in bed mode, but I can very simply push it into a couch with a sloping back. The space underneath is divided into two parts, one accessible through the back doors and the other from inside, and this works very well for me. So you have to find what will work for you, good luck and hope you find your answer.

We had a fixed bed in our Autosleeper Palermo but we found it took too much room up, it left a lounge space with a pullman dinette hitch wasn't comfortable for us to sprawl out on.

We have a drop down bed in a 6.0m Hymer now and it is the best of both worlds for us, the bed is made up ready and we have a comfortable lounge area with all the seats swivelled.

Just some thing on making up a bed, On the T5 the layout I did was a pair of side benches and then pull out a slat section and then cushions on top - pretty classic motorhome style I think? End result was a comfy bed around 5' wide so that part was good :)
Didn't take long to do but I found I had a REALLY painful hip each morning after building the bed due to the clambering around (turns out got some bursitis and that clambering inflamed it significantly), so not onlt was making the bed up a PITA, it was also literally a pain in the hip :(

Those electric over-cab beds look to be the ideal solution if a rig allows for one. Leave bed fully made up and drop it when you want to use it.

Something buried in the back of my brain tells me I've been unconsciously thinking about a solution just like that....

D'you know, I think a self-build might be the answer? or not - I'm cr*p at DIY and will probably be dead before it gets finished. heh heh

Alternative is doing what everybody else has done before me, i.e. studying endless layouts of the already constructed coach builds/vans out there to find one that fits personal requirements and then the irritating task of finding the 'solution' available and up for sale at a price we're prepared to pay. I don't really enjoy this process. I hate normal shopping never mind something like this. I just want to get in, out and on with it.

I am new to this game only started 18 months ago, but what I realised from the start was that Motorhoming is all about compromising and preference. There are no rights and wrongs on this matter but simply opinions which are based on preference and experience.

Now I have a chausson 510 which is just under 6m great for the ferries we love Arran and plan to make visits to other islands. Although our van is only 5.97m we have a separate shower room, toilet, kitchen and a lounge that can sit 6 comfortably and 8 at a push.

The bed is already made up, so no storage of bedding or having to make the bed required. It rises and drops electrically but in emergency it can be done manually. All we have to do is remove two seat rear cushions and place the pillows which we do have to store on the bed. It takes about a minute to do this.
And the bed is as comfortable as the one we have at home.

Our biggest compromise is the bed is a traverse bed and if I need to get to the toilet at night I have to ask my wife to get out to give me access. This happens rarely, and I would suggest that if one of you is more likely to need the toilet through the night that they sleep nearest the toilet.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both set ups, it’s all about what suits you both.
We love the overhead bed affording a large lounge in a small home, but others would differ.

We had a list of things we would like and certain that we had to have. The had to’s included fixed bed and a bathroom/shower big enough for us to use. After much browsing around we thought it would be an A class, had our eye on an old Rapido but then we found Casper.

It isn’t just not having to make a bed up it is also storage (if you have payload) so for me the fixed was a better option than a drop down, neither of us would be much good with those little ladders for overcab beds.

Our van is a bit over 7 metres and just us two and two small dogs, we are anti-social after living in the sticks for 30 years so don’t need space for anyone else :)

Think carefully about what will fit you and what you want to do then see if it can be bought at a price you can pay, if not can it be built (by you or others) at an affordable price. If you can find a yes in there you have it cracked 👍

if you're living in a van , a fixed bed doesn't leave a lot of room for living . i've only had fixed beds in vans of 9m or more
imagine a 7m van with a fixed bed and it's been raining for 2 weeks and you can only take 2 steps .
anyway you can always leave it up if you're feeling lazy

I don't have to imagine, ours is 6.9m, but plenty of room to move.
One double over the garage and the other (rarely used) over the cab seating/lounge where 5 can seat comfortable or six if you know them. :)

Why do some people assume that overhead beds require bedding to be stored and made up, ours doesn’t.
We have a chausson 510 and our bed is raised made up and ready for use, all we have to do is remove two rear cushions from the lounge seating, lower the bed and hey presto. Another assumption that fixed bedders bring up is the need for ladders, well our bed lowers down to a low level, no ladders required.

The only bedding we have to store are the two cushions, and the process of getting the bed ready takes about a minute.

The bed in our first van was the sofas which had to be built every evening. The initial problem of one up both up was acceptable on short breaks but after 6 weeks away quite annoying. Then Lee's back became very painful while in France. First thing we did when we got home was look for a fixed bed.

After seeing a pilote lee decided that was what we needed. It's 6m long, has a separate shower and drop down double bed in the front. So I can have a lie in and the bed is very comfortable for us both. We usually make the bed then push It up but can happily leave it down. We only have to fold the front seats

When the bed is pushed up we have a spacious living area where we can entertain 8 for dinner or about 10 for drinks....

Last edited:
I think Swift did a great job by the sound of it when they made the Kontiki 640 with front dinette and rear lounge which is what I have had for over ten years now. Ive seen loads of threads like this over the years and nothing so far will convince me any other layout or a fixed bed is better and ive been in loads of vans now as well. Takes me no time at all to make up the rear lounge bed and the front dinette bed and the rear one is massive and its one of the most comfortable beds ive ever slept on and trust me ive slept in thousands.

What I like is the space, I like to lounge at the back of the van, away from the front kitchen and if needed I have a table in the front dinette if I Want to go and do some work or if Mrs D Wants to go up there and read etc and your away from all the smells and noise of the kitchen if someone is preparing food. There is more available space in our 7m van than there is a 9m tag with a fixed bed. Trouble is I love the layout so much finding a modern replacement with the same spec and payload is almost impossible.

These threads are always the same though. It comes down to personal preference and everyone thinks they are right including me. I wouldnt change though.

I mentioned in an earlier post a Burstner C class I was looking at a few weeks ago that had 2 electric beds. The available living space with the beds raised was huge.

if you're living in a van , a fixed bed doesn't leave a lot of room for living . i've only had fixed beds in vans of 9m or more
imagine a 7m van with a fixed bed and it's been raining for 2 weeks and you can only take 2 steps .
anyway you can always leave it up if you're feeling lazy

I’m 1.85m tall
My van isn’t 4.6m long bulk head to rear doors
My bed is 2m long
I have more than Enough room and I’ve been full time for 17 months

Oh, All this talk of Beds is making me sleepy,,,

I only got a Longer Vehicle because I wanted to learn the Trombone. Now it’s been ok when I’m sat on the end of the bed Facing towards the Cab, But if sat in the Saloon I can only play it on Fine or Sunny Days as I need the Opposite window open !

Last edited by a moderator:
If we were to get a smaller motorhome, I am pretty certain, we would go for a drop down bed as the main sleeping option. We currently have the 7.5m Elegance, with a fixed island bed in the rear and drop down bed in the front, and loving everything about it. We have had the Silver Machine now for 18 months now and stayed in it for more than half that time. Our daughter has just flown out to join us in Italy for 9 nights and the layout works really well. We have slept in the drop down bed ourselves quite a bit and it’s great and therefore would have no reservations choosing that as a main option to create maximum living space though the day.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back