Fixed bed or pull out poll

As mentioned often earlier, it's a matter of personal preference. I've been into motorhoming on and off since 1975 and I've always tried to avoid having to work each night before going to bed.
The ultimate was my 3 year ownership of a US queen island bed model, and then few will agrue about what's better. No doubt that with it came tons of inconviences, mostly the 10 mpg fuel consumption, but that was during the 90s in the USA with prices not nearly what they are today.

fixed or pull out

hi
we have a fixed bed, who says you can't use yhe bed through the day.
i very often go up and relax watching the telly (top gear or f1) or reading.
the bed is very comfortable and it gives us a bit of space between us if needed,
also had a pull out on a sundance, got fed up with that,and kept falling between the cushions at night.
the fixed bed and dinnete means relaxing with a beer and retiring straight to bed.
good luck each to their own.;):)

Hi there,

I've had a Kontiki 640-6 with the rear lounge and being quite tall it was great, plus at least you could use the space for entertaining in the evening. I now have a Hymer 544 with a modified lay-out with the pull down bed and again at least we have a larger lounge area to use during the day. We did look out a fixed bed van, but felt that it lost space that unless there were only two of you. Then you'd be faced with a smaller lounge area, unless you bought a longer van. I suppose it all come down to want your requirements are, do you buy a longer Motorhome to create more living space if you have a fixed bed, or could you use that space better??? However there is a huge locker under the bed, great storage without the need to have a Top Box!

My Dad has a fixed bed in his and it great for him, because he likes to drive for a while then stop and have an hours nap... I feel that the hymer is great for me as, we have a large lounge area during the day, the bed goes up & down out of the way and it alot better to park then my old Kontiki.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people out there that think the fixed bed is great, just depends what you want from your camper.... Good Luck!!

Andy

When I converted an Iveco Daily panel van into a campervan one of the main criteria (from SWMBO) was a rear lounge. This, in addition to a separate w/c cubicle, full cooker, fridge and sink ect meant that with only 12ft from the back of the cab seats to the rear doors there would have to be compromise.
The bed was therefore made up of two facing 4ft bench seats, (the rear lounge) with a slatted centre, which needed to be made up each night. That meant we couldn't stretch out for but a quick nap in the afternoon without making the bed up.

Now I'm building a replacement van and have gone for the longest wheelbase panel van I could find mainly so I could fit in two 6ft benches. Now we have the option of 'crashing out' on separate single beds or making it up into a 6ft 2in by 5ft 10in double. Possibly the best of both worlds.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back