Fixed bed or pull out poll

bigboack

Hy guys, was just wondering what you all think, We have a 1992 swift kontiki it has a big lounge area which makes up to a double bed within seconds, We have been looking around at newer models and was wondering why most new models have fixed beds,We have had 12 people all seated in our MH and think this would be impossible in a newer model with a fixed bed.What do you all prefer out of interest?

fixed bed!!!

Hi we have a fixed bed and all I can say about it is, dead space that you cannot use durring the day.

Regards Alan and Sue

Ditto the post above really....
I would have to have a van that would be too large if it had a fixed bed in it. Motorhomes are a lot more versatile without a fixed bed.

fixed bed for me every time. making up a bed every day is an avoidable chore.

the fixed bed is so much more comfortable than the shaped seat/beds.

the idea of having my van full of people sounds like hell. the van is my way of getting away from it all with just the dog ( sometimes the wife insists on tagging along ) for company.

it just depends on what you use your van for. as a village hall you need all the seats you can get. as a retreat go for the comfort.

well dont know if you can call over cab beds as fixed, but if you do a fixed bed any time so much more convenient. had a make up one in the pop top talbot pain making and un making it.

Fixed Bed

Fixed bed for us - I can leave my wife in bed whilst I have my breakfast and then disapeer for a bike ride . Plus we have enormous storage area underneath the bed - Adria Twin .

We have had this before but I cannot find thread in search however I think fixed bed was the most popular.We have fixed bed on a LP type van, there is no best answer because it is preference of cause:eek:

You could say that about showers which had a lengthy debate ,all good fun:D

we would prefer fixed bed but at the mo dont have it,nx van will have one along with a proper mattress the older i get the more comfy i want to be

Fixed bed every time, I could not bear the thought of having to make up a bed after a day on holiday or out for a weekend.
This thing (M/Hing ) is about the good life, not, "Right dear its time for bed, you get out the bedding I'll pull out the bed basses, right now ill just climb back over and pull the seat backs down,right now lets make up the bed, right thats it........... Oh i'm not that tired anymore.....".
I just clean me teeth pull back the Duvet and climb into a PROPER interior sprung bed ...... and sleep like a baby.
Anyone that says a fixed bed is a waste of space might as well say a bedroom is a waste of a room.
My van is just 20 ft long and I love it.

beds

I think that the choice is entirely a personal one. Our last van had a large overcab bed, great in winter as heat rises, bad in summer as it got too hot even with a window at each end. But overall I think we miss it although not the wind resistance.

This van has 2 long benches, both long enough to sleep on, very comfortable. They can be pulled together which we do 99% of the time to make a very large bed. It has the added benefit that we can seat about 9 people in there should we want company when the weather turns.

Personnally our layout works for us at this time. I found dinettes although a good idea are usually uncomfortable (upright seats) and therefore we did not use them during the day to read/relax. The 2 long bench seats allow either or both of us to have an afternoon sleep and/or the other can relax/read or have the table out. Yes a fixed bed may be desirable in the future, but I have seen many of these with bottom or top or both corners cut off.

Jon

I have a over cab bed, couldnt be doing with having to keep putting bed away and then getting out again later,:D

We have the Hymer Pull down bed, and it is great - you can leave it made up and just pull it down put the ladder up and climb in! The mhome is 18ft long. We looked for a fixed bed when we bought the Hymer but all the models we saw were 23ft or more, so wouldnt fit on the drive.

fixed bed over garage.This setup is perfect for us at the moment.Later on when the kids have left,and if we`re able enough,I would like a pulldown bed and a rear lounge if possible.:D

steve

We have a front lounge which takes 2 minutes at most to make up into a bed - really not a problem, and there are large lockers over the cab for bedding. In principle we'd have preferred a fixed bed (and we agreed to differ over a garage - I wanted one!) but we also wanted a large lounge and found we couldn't have all of
-large comfortable lounge (we don't like dinette seating)
-fixed bed
-length under 22'
so we compromised. (Enormous end bathroom helped in choice as well!)

An A-class drop down bed would have been brilliant - and I agree with Chigman that an A-class with rear lounge would be perfect. (Although not sure there are many such models out there except the Rapido 9090 (??) - at least not that we could conceivably afford.

Surely it's all about how you weigh up the inevitable compromises - inevitable that is unless you have enough space and money?

A room with a view !

i have an auto trail scout with the same layout as the kon-tiki,a large rear lounge. when you are wilding up in Scotland backed up to the sea then you realise that the view with a glass of wine far exceeds the need for a fixed bed.if it is too much effort to make a bed up in 2 or 3 minutes perhaps you should stay at home ! :D

i have an auto trail scout with the same layout as the kon-tiki,a large rear lounge. when you are wilding up in Scotland backed up to the sea then you realise that the view with a glass of wine far exceeds the need for a fixed bed.if it is too much effort to make a bed up in 2 or 3 minutes perhaps you should stay at home ! :D

When we were wilding in the outer hebrides this summer we had the same, we pulled in facing the view, cos our lounge is at the front, with superb isri 1000 captains seats, infinetely adjustable, on swivels with double arm rest, inflatable lumber support............. bliss....... it was a hard decision to go to the already made up bed......... which has a half ratchet mechanism that turns it into a chaise longe, the mattress is also split so you dont form a dip in the middle............ I feel like nipping out to the van now for a kip:D

Last edited:
U shaped lounge made up as permanant bed, then lounging around on the bed with a glass of Cassis enjoying the view out the window, Great, welcome to the site. Hee Hee

fixed bed over the cab , no waste of space at all. lounge at the back that can be made into a bed if so desired, but why prat about when you have no need to

All the fun of the fair

All the little tasks we do when motorhoming is part of the holiday, whether
we are.............

bed making
bbq setting up
toilet duty:eek::D
tv set up
changing gas bottles

the lists go on but I class it as part of my holiday even route finding, like the title says ALL THE FUN OF THE FAIR happy camping:D:D:D:D

hia
My lounge seats are just a little too small to sleep on so bed as to be made up.
Sorted though make up after tea or before I go out so I can just fall into it.:D:D
Grandson wants my next one to have a garage for his bike I've told him on your bike I'm not made of money I have heard a wisper something about a credit crounch :confused::confused:
I say I will try my over bed cab but I will have to stay sober for that. The over cab keeps bringing nightmares back of when I use to go on top bunk on ferries.:eek::eek::eek:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back