fitting a 2nd solar panel

thanks bev....but i cant pm you at the mo till i become a full member i dnt think :( can i just put it on here, or isnt it advisable?

Hi trikerman,

Slightly off topic but maybe you can help.

My brother-in-law (a tugger) has bought a used solar panel and regulator. The problem is that the panel is 24 volts and 64 watts (its a huge American made one). The regulator is similar to the one in your diagram except it is the Sunlight 20 (amps). There are 2 diodes fixed between terminal 1 (on the left hand side) and terminal 3. These connections are solar + and battery + terminals. When this is done, does it make a 12 volt regulator work with a 24 volt solar panel?

If anyone else can help with this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Hi trikerman,

My brother-in-law (a tugger) has bought a used solar panel and regulator. The problem is that the panel is 24 volts and 64 watts (its a huge American made one). The regulator is similar to the one in your diagram except it is the Sunlight 20 (amps). There are 2 diodes fixed between terminal 1 (on the left hand side) and terminal 3. These connections are solar + and battery + terminals. When this is done, does it make a 12 volt regulator work with a 24 volt solar panel?

Thanks.
I can't imagine why diodes would be fitted between solar+ and battery+ on the regulator. Does it have a 12v output?

What is the actual voltage quoted on the back of the panel? If it really is for a 24v system I would expect it to be somewhere around 40v, a panel made for 12v would be around 20v.

AndyC

Hi trikerman,

Thanks.

Sorry maingate i can't help you, as I got the diagram of the net, and I fitted a 12 volt 100amp to my van. with 10amp controller.

John.

Hi Andy,

I believe the output on the back of the panel says 24 volts, so you could be right. I have only had a quick glance at it as he was on his way to a rally this afternoon.

He bought it off a bloke at the Dorset Steam Fair and got no details from him. I have already sourced an Operators Manual off tinternet for him.

When I get a chance, I will set up the panel and check the DC volts for him. I have some electrical knowledge but not in this department.

Thanks for the info.

hi ,its something to do with the connectors on the back i think .wire it one way it gives 24 wire it another it gives 12. a mate bought a panel in maroc that was 12 or 24 a few years ago . does get confusing . cant really help more will try andfind out for you. but he may not remember what he did. cheers alan.

Good man Alan,

I pm`ed you about it but I forgot that you live so far south that you have a siesta in the afternoon.:D

sorry never looked at the top. must be old age.
rang my mate bob. he said his had two connector boxes on the back of the panel one for 24 one for 12v. cant tell you more . i bet when you look at it and do a bit of testing it all comes right. have a play with a multi meter thats the way.
i went shopping earlier .off to the south west bongo bash this weekend. all bongonauts should be there. may even sing a song or do a few harmonica tunes . helps pull the birds . just have to mind their white sticks later on . . could be missed on here .ha has. cheers alan.

thanks for the diagram, trikerman....should be able to sort it now with all your help guys x

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back