Fisherrow harbour Musselburgh now "Dead as a dodo"

I was informed by a friendly local that one of the complaint residents has turned his garage illegaly into a bedroom for his son
He's also put illegal no overnighting signs up and notices on parked up campervans Motorhomes
The friendly resident also told me it was not illegal to park there i guess it's not the case now

Height barriers for one car-park. Do not see why you cannot use the other carpark or the road..
Given the situation and the reply I got..I will avoid Musselburgh unless things change.
Anyway At the moment many places will be probably be hostile !

I was informed by a friendly local that one of the complaint residents has turned his garage illegaly into a bedroom for his son
He's also put illegal no overnighting signs up and notices on parked up campervans Motorhomes
The friendly resident also told me it was not illegal to park there i guess it's not the case now

Are you sure that this 'friendly local' isn't just a spiteful local with a grudge against another resident? It's usually perfectly legal to convert a garage to a bedroom without planning permission.

I would take that with a pinch of salt, not that it matters now.

Height barriers for one car-park. Do not see why you cannot use the other carpark or the road..
Given the situation and the reply I got..I will avoid Musselburgh unless things change.
Anyway At the moment many places will be probably be hostile !

I didn't want to give that a 'like' as such, but I agree with what you say.

1 I believe there are now height barriers to the beach car park
The overnighting has been stopped by the local council.
With NO realistic way it could be re-instated.

I emailed one of the 4 councillors..see his reply

Hi,
Thanks for your email.
For future reference you spell Musselburgh in this way.

The reason why motorhomes etc cannot use these facilities is because it is unlawful in relation to use of common good land which must not frustrate unfettered use both this who live in the Town. I’m afraid you are poorly informed about why this should never have started in the first place.

East Lothian Council were asked and said no as the roads authority but one or two individuals continued despite it being made clear why they could not.

Might I suggest that the next time you are in Musseburgh you drive a few minutes to Drummhor Caravan park who accept tourers and who I’m sure would welcome your investment in their business and jobs that will be supported, you can even stop at the same stores in the Town to buy your weekly shop.

On the issue of a height barrier I am sure you have been told why this was put in place?

The frankly disgraceful abuse of parking bays, only designed for cars, which were taken over by those not willing to pay to go to an accredited site literally three minutes away. Many of my constituents were horrified that, at times, more than 50% of the spaces designed for many elderly and families to enjoy their beach and harbour were being used as a free or cheap camp site, with grey water being released on the tarmac that children had to walk through. So the effect of the height barrier has been to ensure that local residents and tourists with cars could enjoy our excellent town.

You are, of course, entitled to your views but your not entitled to your own facts. Common good land must be for the enjoyment of those within the Town and as a local councillor democratically elected I will do everything I can to ensure that remains the case and that legislation designed to protect those rights is respected and not ignored.

Regards, Stuart Currie
you have got to shop around, they kick you move on, not happy do not buy, buy from places that want your money. ok.pj. p.s. do you have a boot ?

Are you sure that this 'friendly local' isn't just a spiteful local with a grudge against another resident? It's usually perfectly legal to convert a garage to a bedroom without planning permission.

I would take that with a pinch of salt, not that it matters now.

They may have meant building regs and relevant inspections I suppose.

Couple of things Musselburgh has, by the harbour Clarks is a fantastic fresh fish shop and just along the road with a massive carpark next to the Brunton hall is Staggs which has a fantastic array of ales into double figures, used to be my local for many years. Golf was first played on the links if you are a twicher head to the lagoons at the far end fantastic bird watching or you could always stay in the town and wait for the pubs to close as there are a few Hoolits about( Scots word for a woman with questionable morals ) not the bird Howlit .😂

Last edited:
Couple of things Musselburgh has, by the harbour Clarks is a fantastic fresh fish shop and just along the road with a massive carpark next to the Brunton hall is Staggs which has a fantastic array of ales into double figures, used to be my local for many years. Golf was first played on the links if you are a twicher head to the lagoons at the far end fantastic bird watching or you could always stay in the town and wait for the pubs to close as there are a few Hoolits about( Scots word for a woman with questionable morals ) not the bird Howlit .😂
So is Musselburgh now twinned with Bangkok ?

I live in East Lothian (Further East) and TBH cant see the attraction of Musselburgh unless a late night stop over. Having said that i used to get my bus MOT'd along the road at Joppa and would walk back to the cafe at the Harbour for a fill English while i waited.

Most of the employees/drivers live in huge RVs..
Where are you SNP councillor ?

I think the wee local councillor would be brushed aside if this ever did gather any pace, Jackie Stewart tried at Ingliston race circuit to bring into GP.status and was involved along with Nial Mckenzie to do similar at East Fortune. Jock Taylor was involved with setting up a TT style race around East Lothian and there is a similar pure road race around the borders which keeps on showing its head every couple of years. The only thing in favour is the re-instatement of the Jim Clark rally on closed public roads which brings in much needed revenue to local business.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back