Fisherrow harbour Musselburgh now "Dead as a dodo"

jagmanx

1 I believe there are now height barriers to the beach car park
The overnighting has been stopped by the local council.
With NO realistic way it could be re-instated.

I emailed one of the 4 councillors..see his reply

Hi,
Thanks for your email.
For future reference you spell Musselburgh in this way.

The reason why motorhomes etc cannot use these facilities is because it is unlawful in relation to use of common good land which must not frustrate unfettered use both this who live in the Town. I’m afraid you are poorly informed about why this should never have started in the first place.

East Lothian Council were asked and said no as the roads authority but one or two individuals continued despite it being made clear why they could not.

Might I suggest that the next time you are in Musseburgh you drive a few minutes to Drummhor Caravan park who accept tourers and who I’m sure would welcome your investment in their business and jobs that will be supported, you can even stop at the same stores in the Town to buy your weekly shop.

On the issue of a height barrier I am sure you have been told why this was put in place?

The frankly disgraceful abuse of parking bays, only designed for cars, which were taken over by those not willing to pay to go to an accredited site literally three minutes away. Many of my constituents were horrified that, at times, more than 50% of the spaces designed for many elderly and families to enjoy their beach and harbour were being used as a free or cheap camp site, with grey water being released on the tarmac that children had to walk through. So the effect of the height barrier has been to ensure that local residents and tourists with cars could enjoy our excellent town.

You are, of course, entitled to your views but your not entitled to your own facts. Common good land must be for the enjoyment of those within the Town and as a local councillor democratically elected I will do everything I can to ensure that remains the case and that legislation designed to protect those rights is respected and not ignored.

Regards, Stuart Currie

Last edited:
I have sent a reply. !
He also failed to provide with info re the use of land.
and did not react to a question as to how we might park during the day.
He also promoted an expensive camp site.
i suspect he has never managed a sentence including the worls real and world.
I did alert him to the other iniatives in Scotland but his attitude is typical of too many !
Wonder what he will do if/when too many motorhomes parkup in the immediate vicinity on narmal roads !
I note one his benefits is goping to the races at Musselburgh.
He no doubt bets on the GiGis wearing blinkers !

I have only found a couple of "Jollies"
Musselburgh races and Scottish golf open !
Probably OK

Sad, but I had to chuckle at the way you were corrected for your spelling of Musselburgh and yet the rest of the rant was littered with grammatical and punctuation errors.
I have rarely read something that is presumably meant to be official but is crafted so badly and so hard to follow.

I do love that he also spelt Musselburgh incorrectly himself within the reply :D

But of course ! shame but I agree.

Strangely my fist emal got an auto-response to indicate it had been received
Not so so far with my follow-up..Have I been "spammed"

I have rarely read something that is presumably meant to be official but is crafted so badly and so hard to follow.

I do love that he also spelt Musselburgh incorrectly himself within the reply :D
yes My followup email pointed out his mis-spelling !

And he mentioned the grey waste, he just had to say it, and I just have to say this, some motorhomers are guilty of emptying grey waste in places where people have to trudge through it and often in plain view, just another nail in the coffin for wild camping. Oh and while we're on the subject of Musselburgh I wouldn't park up there if I was paid to.

The Area to the Right of the Harbour is ok, it is on the Prom and a dead end so no through traffic last time I was there 6 weeks ago one other Motorhome

I had a strange experience here earlier this year. If you go on search for sites it diverts you to an official looking website where they charged £15 for parking on harbour supposedly a donation. Turns out it’s a public car park and I had a feeling there was a bit of a scam going on because when I arrived the carpark was full of cars with no spaces that were even suitable for the smallest motorhome. When I questioned the person running the web site and pay pal payment system he was very quick to refund me and wasn’t too happy when I started asking where the money was going. Turns out it was going into his personal bank account.

certainly a bit "Fishy"
This seems OK
https://www.fhsa.org.uk/campers
But now stopped by East Lothian Council
All a bit Strange !
Maybe a badly thought idea!
ELC seem totally opposed citing "freedom of land use" But this may be just a smokescreen
However it does seem. the original idea has annoyed local councillors certainly (Stuart Currie) and thus will get no further !!!

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back