First week in France it's an adventure

Andys

Free Member
Set off from sunny scarborough last Tuesday, stopped at Grantham for some pre prepared tea van would not turnover when we wanted to continue sat there click click click 5 mins click brum it started ???? Arrived at dover early but no space on earlier ferry so had to drive onto marine parade an wait.

Getting on ferry - do you know you have a headlight out - no bug*er. Got to first stop with only one light working on dip. Following morning thought simple job take out old put in new. My van is a hymer B774 2 hours to change a bloody bulb it was the near side, Hymer in their wisdom have routed 2 air intakes which press on to the light fitting grrr. Had to disconnect one and remove. On we go next stop Stennay a place we love.
Now our shower has had a repaire previously, I think some one with a high heel had stood in the track where the cubicle runs. It leaked once before and I fixed with glass fibre and gelcoat. Now 3 years later it's leaking again. bug*er forgot to bring my fibre glass kit. Managed to find a shop selling a resin glue with a hardener. Spread some where I thought the leak was it worked!!

Sat down in the sun with a John Smiths half drunk - Andy the tap on the kitchen sink is not working !! Checked all the others are, has to be the micro switch. Took tap to bits and there was a broken wire, no soldering kit with me so bared the wires twisted together, black tape hey it worked.

So when I get home I have the shower to fix properly and a new micro switch to fit. Oh! may need a tetinus jab if the gouges in my arm from fitting the bulb do not heal soon.

Ps its pis*ing down here.

Look at it this way Andy, in the words of the Labour politicians (remember them?):-

'Things can only get better'

Seriously, hope all goes well from now on in!

Try getting a bulb in to a cit/reno and others these days,you would think they built them like that for badness.
The problem is we keep buying them ,if we stoped because of bad build they would soon sort it,though most folk have not got a clue when buying as when i worked in the trade a bunch of flowers in the pas/seat for wiffy clinched the deal never mind if the car was a pile of s--t.

Well at least you don't run to the Dealer every time a screw comes out like some on the Caravan Club Site. They always seem to be moaning about small bits that need fixing. Like you I just fix it and get on with life. Enjoy the rest of your holiday ;)

Hey, you're having an adventure!

Crossing continents, slaying dragons.

Some people go through life and their only adventure is whether they forgot to set the TV recorder, and might miss Corrie.
Enjoy every experience.

If things didn't happen it would only be boring. As soon as we got to France the waste water alarm was going off every time the Hab electrics were turned on and going into alarm every 5 mins. Put up with that for 2 days, ended up reversing back of van up a banking getting underneath and the float switch had fallen out of the tank. Put it back and all is well. It keeps it interesting.

Yes us on top of the hill lot came up the hard way starting with a old car & fixing it every weekend,the young ones of today cry like a baby if they get a puncture or the m/ph battery dies,what future for them.

And you've still got the starter motor problem to look forward to.

I remember sitting in a roadside aire having a snack on a dry winters day in France, I got out to bin the rubbish and noticed a large pool of water comming from the van and running to a drain. I hadn't closed the frost valve and opening the kitchen tap started the water syphoning out of the tank which - was now empty. Being unable to find an aire with water, as all taps were turned off, we ended up buying 50L from Aldi and tipping it in the tank.
Bd..

with regard to the starter motor, I'd clean and check the connections before you get stuck some place. Enjoy your trip.

Very uneventful for us this time :dance: Just a couple of the LEDs in the extra side lights i fitted 5 years back packed up :sad:

I`ve already got a complete spare set so i`ll replace both sides at the same time but i do need some dry weather to fit them :hammer:

I remember sitting in a roadside aire having a snack on a dry winters day in France, I got out to bin the rubbish and noticed a large pool of water comming from the van and running to a drain. I hadn't closed the frost valve and opening the kitchen tap started the water syphoning out of the tank which - was now empty. Being unable to find an aire with water, as all taps were turned off, we ended up buying 50L from Aldi and tipping it in the tank.
Bd..

Were there any churches near-usually have a tap (for grave flowers etc )?

We often park up near cemeteries .
Always loads of parking, often water, as well.
The neighbours are quiet and never complain.
If you have a dog, there's always a chance that it will find a bone :lol-053:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back