First timer - off to scotland

Laudea

Hi. We’ve hired a motorhome for a week and are off to Scotland. I’ve booked a couple of nights in official campsites but am wondering whether it’s feasible to find enough ‘free’ pitches where we can just drive up and park for the night or whether I need to book actual sites for every night. Trying to a) save money and b) not be tied down to having to get to a specific site etc and to just be able to stop where we end up. I’m aware I need access to water/toilet emptying facilities etc and also that it being August when we go and with the current situation that it’s probably going to be busier than usual! Any advice would be great!

Please book sites in advance. Sites which are open are extremely busy in much of Scotland, many have not re-opened yet, and lots of people are using "free" pitches so you may find it very hard to find anywhere "free" to stop. In addition, there are horrendous problems in some areas this year with litter and human waste at "free" sites and many local people are getting very upset about this. In addition, local communities, especially in remote areas, are very concerned about Covid19 being introduced into their areas by visitors, and people using "free" pitches are a particular worry because there is no mechanism for testing and tracing people not booking into sites. Booking in advance is the best thing all round.

Please book sites in advance. Sites which are open are extremely busy in much of Scotland, many have not re-opened yet, and lots of people are using "free" pitches so you may find it very hard to find anywhere "free" to stop. In addition, there are horrendous problems in some areas this year with litter and human waste at "free" sites and many local people are getting very upset about this. In addition, local communities, especially in remote areas, are very concerned about Covid19 being introduced into their areas by visitors, and people using "free" pitches are a particular worry because there is no mechanism for testing and tracing people not booking into sites. Booking in advance is the best thing all round.
This is a 'wildcamping' forum, its presence is to discuss and advise on how to not use campsites all the time but still travel responsibly. I do agree with you in regards to being extra sensitive in the present climate.

Hi. We’ve hired a motorhome for a week and are off to Scotland. I’ve booked a couple of nights in official campsites but am wondering whether it’s feasible to find enough ‘free’ pitches where we can just drive up and park for the night or whether I need to book actual sites for every night. Trying to a) save money and b) not be tied down to having to get to a specific site etc and to just be able to stop where we end up. I’m aware I need access to water/toilet emptying facilities etc and also that it being August when we go and with the current situation that it’s probably going to be busier than usual! Any advice would be great!
Become a full member and use the location app, camp responsibly and your aim when 'wilding' is to be low profile meaning not having your awning out, no chairs/tables, washing line etc and ideally only spend one night at a location. A litter pick at your chosen site is a good way to 'pay' for your night. Imagine Hyacinth Bucket lives near by, don't give her anything to moan about!

Hope you have a great time

Mind your waterproof coats and wellies! It's rained awe week, due our last day of summer up here this Friday, then more rain. Warm enough though. Bob

Have an amazing trip, I'm sure you'll enjoy exploring Scotland no matter the weather! There are plenty of rural places you can stay for free that are away from people, just do some research so you have a few back up options to choose from nearby if it's already taken. And you can check on google maps for public toilets, most of them are open now along with pubs and cafes you can support. You'll be totally fine as long as you are considerate as others have mentioned and wear a mask in shops etc. Just avoid Skye and other big tourist spots! Enjoy :)

Just done a 2 week tour of Scotland and it’s absolutely heaving. Usually holiday on the Outer Hebrideas, but had ferry booked for 1st of July when nothing was open so didn’t go. Many sites in the North are not opening this year, so those that are open are full. We did wild camp on a few occasions, but never alone. Too many people looking for spots. Also be aware that Scottish Laws are different than England (ie We Still Observe The 2 Metre Distance Rule. )

Just done a 2 week tour of Scotland and it’s absolutely heaving. Usually holiday on the Outer Hebrideas, but had ferry booked for 1st of July when nothing was open so didn’t go. Many sites in the North are not opening this year, so those that are open are full. We did wild camp on a few occasions, but never alone. Too many people looking for spots. Also be aware that Scottish Laws are different than England (ie We Still Observe The 2 Metre Distance Rule. )
Also just had 2weeks away in the SW of Scotland (Argyll) and very surprised how quiet it has been, and plenty of lonely places to wild camp, although after 40 years of touring here, I know the best bits! (Kilmartin glen and loch Creran to name a couple).
However Oban and Glencoe were a different story, with far too many folk - so retreated hastily...
Avoid any of the headline places and you will be fine.
Dave

Also just had 2weeks away in the SW of Scotland (Argyll) and very surprised how quiet it has been, and plenty of lonely places to wild camp, although after 40 years of touring here, I know the best bits! (Kilmartin glen and loch Creran to name a couple).
However Oban and Glencoe were a different story, with far too many folk - so retreated hastily...
Dave
Shh... Let them all go north, the midges need fed. 😊

Still plenty of quiet places if you are prepared to get an OS map out, and find some small roads.
The 2 different lochs are only 15m from Oban taken last week (and yes, we removed all traces of the fire).
No animosity from the few people we met (1 lady even apologised for the weather!).

20200720_192452.jpg
20200723_215037.jpg
20200726_084252.jpg

So people booking into sites become Covid free, now that’s an interesting take on things.
People in self contained motorhomes pose far less risk than car drivers, or hotel dwellers. That’s why motorhome sales are going through the roof right now. Because you are safer in your mobile home, and you pose less risk to others.
Quite frankly you don’t know my country, if you are smart there are thousands of places to stop, if you apply common sense.

My advice avoid towns and villages at night and head for remote locations. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Still plenty of quiet places if you are prepared to get an OS map out, and find some small roads.
The 2 different lochs are only 15m from Oban taken last week (and yes, we removed all traces of the fire).
No animosity from the few people we met (1 lady even apologised for the weather!).

View attachment 84873View attachment 84876View attachment 84877

Lovely looking spot, and I’ve stayed in plenty like that within 15 miles of Oban. However I’ve often been saddened to see the remains of fires. If only people could just park there would be far less objections and loss of locations.

Dave
Many midges?

Many midges?
Midgie presence depends on conditions: light, humidity, wind strength. So in midgie season you have to be aware of where you are.
But as to numbers - if there's one, there are thousands. A pregnant female bites, and having found food sends out a pheromone signal that brings in the massed hordes.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back