first time abroad

grahamandjayne

hi everyone
We finally replaced our 30 year old transit with a more modern MH. we are thinking of our first trip abroad but are concerned about the different legislation etc involved. Is there a book that goes through it all that is available.
Any help would be appreciated as we are seriously considering a couple of months in portugal over winter.
Graham and Jayne from Derbyshire

hi everyone
We finally replaced our 30 year old transit with a more modern MH. we are thinking of our first trip abroad but are concerned about the different legislation etc involved. Is there a book that goes through it all that is available.
Any help would be appreciated as we are seriously considering a couple of months in portugal over winter.
Graham and Jayne from Derbyshire

Hi,

To go with hairydogs advice.

The AA do a couple of good publications about driving in mainland Europe and the obligatory equipment needed.

Dezi

Until Brexit buggers things up, there are no issues at all. Just get your free E111 and passport, and go.
Everything is mostly the same. National borders are not much different from going over the Scottish border.
Still free healthcare, your mobile phone works the same (and costs the same).

Well almost but not all healthcare is free. The E111 provides reciprocal treatment to that which a local would receive. If you need treatment then go to a public hospital not a private clinic and consider health insurance.

Camper vanning is so much nicer in France and Spain as they actively encourage you.
I would advise getting the Aires book that you can use exclusively or interspaced with private and municipal campsites. There are often aires near to places you want to visit. ( clever idea eh? Wake up England, rant, rant)
Do check your gas, I don't use much but I've heard mention about the differences.
It is worth checking the AA or similar driving instructions as some countries insist on a florescent jacket, two triangles and accident report papers ect.
Do socialize as you go, other travelers will give you lots of useful information and locals are generally very helpful. A few words of local language such as thankyou is greatly appreciated.
Do make sure you have fun!!

oh and STEERING WHEEL KERB mantra helps.

With 30 years experience in moho ing,you probably know more than many of us. We have found that pure common sense is generally the way to go. A continental spares kit, plenty of info via Google, if you have a refillable gas system make sure that you have a set of adaptors. Other than that, go forth and show Johnny foreigner who knows how to have a good time. Sue and I hope to be over there Feb, March time, health permitting

I would go over first for a few weeks to Normandy and Britanny. Get a feel for it. Driving on right, getting fuel/gas as you will need extra bits, 230v adapeters if on ehu, gas adapters for lpg or for bottles. Do not think portugal is wall to wall sunshine in winter and you will be sunning it every day. Going over long terms - you need to consider think like UK tea and some things that cost the earth abroad, whilst some thing are dirt cheap....but normally liquid excluding fuel. Nasty prices now.

thanks for all the advice, I will get the publications, cross my fingers and go !!!!
thanks again

Apart from the Aires Book. Have a look at the POIs
Loads of information there, you'll never be far away from somewhere safe and legal to stop.
There's a useful thread on this forum, " Spain /Portugal, Where are you now ? " full of tips.
Any doubts? Just ask here.

Abroad

Hi, I see you live in Derbyshire, whereabouts? If you are not far from us (we live in Hope Valley) you are welcome to drop by for a chat. We’ve spent more of our time abroad than in UK in the last 15 years and hopefully could answer some of your questions. If you want to you can PM us.

Trailer Number plates and Motorway junctions.

I do hope you are never involved in an accident but if you are then DO NOT RELY on the rear number plate of any lorry trailer.
Red ones are NOT the same as the tractor ( driving part of an arctic) .
If you only have the rear number then mysteriously the driver / owner etc can be traced. " I wasn't pulling that trailer " .
Some countries sensibly insist on a MOT for the trailer and so each one has its own registration.

Spain has a sensible way of numbering motorway junctions. The number refers to the distance in Km from the start of the motorway.

France has a truly amazing system of road numbering designed to confuse. 437 can be followed by A, B, C or D and even Bis. I found one roundabout with five roads, four had the same number but different letters!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back