First problem with the new build.

noarlunga

Hi Folks.

The newly purchased 2014 Movano (Master or Interstar) MWB base van is parked outside and the conversion project is commencing.

The first problem is the old one of the driver's seat swivel clunking the handbrake. There is a solution from Renault in the form of a folding handbrake, but before I fork out £264 for that plus £100+ for the swivel I want to be assured that it will work.

The present hand brake lowers to 29cm high and the seat box (where the swivel will go) is 18cm high - a discrepancy of 11cm. That's obviously not good enough.

Is there anybody with recent-ish Master/Movano/Interstar based van with a driver's seat swivel fitted? Does it have the folding hand brake fitted? How well does it work?

master seat box.jpg

Ratchet Handbrake

Hi Folks.

The newly purchased 2014 Movano (Master or Interstar) MWB base van is parked outside and the conversion project is commencing.

The first problem is the old one of the driver's seat swivel clunking the handbrake. There is a solution from Renault in the form of a folding handbrake, but before I fork out £264 for that plus £100+ for the swivel I want to be assured that it will work.

The present hand brake lowers to 29cm high and the seat box (where the swivel will go) is 18cm high - a discrepancy of 11cm. That's obviously not good enough.

Is there anybody with recent-ish Master/Movano/Interstar based van with a driver's seat swivel fitted? Does it have the folding hand brake fitted? How well does it work?

View attachment 56070

We have a Renault master based van.
The handbrake has a ratchet mechanism
You (obviously) pull it up to apply.
The ratchet keeps it on and then the handle goes down again !
A push button on the end is pushed one you raise the handbrake again..this releases the ratchet and thus handbrke is off

We've got a Master. We have to take the handbrake off to turn the seat. If we're on a slope we leave it in gear first. Well, I think that's what we do, but to be honest it's a job left to him indoors!

Lesley

Checked with the handbrake meister and I have the theory of the seat turning correct. It's never been a problem to us and we wouldn't think of changing it. We do have to move the chair forwards or backwards a bit to get it past the steering wheel, and that's more annoying than the handbrake.

Last edited:
We've got a Master. We have to take the handbrake off to turn the seat. If we're on a slope we leave it in gear first. Well, I think that's what we do, but to be honest it's a job left to him indoors!

Lesley

Checked with the handbrake meister and I have the theory of the seat turning correct. It's never been a problem to us and we wouldn't think of changing it. We do have to move the chair forwards or backwards a bit to get it past the steering wheel, and that's more annoying than the handbrake.

Thanks. Sadly that wouldn't work with mine as the handbrake is still 11cm too high when it's down and I don't think the swivel assembly thickness will be enough for the top plate to clear it.

We have a Renault master based van.
The handbrake has a ratchet mechanism
You (obviously) pull it up to apply.
The ratchet keeps it on and then the handle goes down again !
A push button on the end is pushed one you raise the handbrake again..this releases the ratchet and thus handbrke is off

Thanks for that. There is a video of it in operation on YouTube. Renault Master "Folding" Handbrake - YouTube

I think I'll have to go for it and if there's still a height problem I can shim the swivel up to clear the lever. I think there's a FASP swivel supplier who offers shims in with the package. I just don't want to make an expensive mistake and a hole in the budget.

I converted a 2006 Movano Mark 2. I added a swivel drivers seat.

Swivelling it over the hand brake is tight but I didn't need a folding hand brake. It just needs the right combination of seat back/forward, tilt back, and up/down to clear the steering wheel and brake lever. You may have to do one and then adjust another midway through. Once you get the hang of what needs doing, it's quick. If swivel is fraction low, put some spacers/washers in.

Edit: Just read you have a Mark 3, so may be a problem on that van. I think Ems&Beau is converting a Mark 3 - check with her.

Last edited by a moderator:
had similar in my transit when converted, the guy who did the conversion re worked the handbrake to lower it the required amount by shortening the bracket and re welding it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back