Fire hydrant/wash out.

Anyone know the law on washouts? (Marked WO). Looks like a service valve (marked SV), or fire hydrant (marked FH).
I think it a big fine, but can’t find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max fine £1000 for each offence.

Why can you buy them brand new if you can’t use them? You can get them everywhere with no meter attached. Who uses these things? That’s why I asked. and I can still find no law on the washout part of the question. Any ideas welcome.

Hydrant misuse | Water quality | My Supply | Severn Trent Water

I'm not sure criminal/civil is really the point.....
its still pretty much theft and ends up painting the motorhome/campervan community with a fairly dirty brush.

Or perhaps you aren't too bothered at that....

My original question was pretty simple!!
I have never once said I would do it!!!
I was asking questions....

I’d like to reply more, but It wouldn’t be nice.

In reply to the original question... No and never will.
They are clearly marked as Fire Hydrants/Washouts and that is their sole purpose in life and tested regurlarly to make sure they will perform as such.
Never challenged anyone filling from a FH/WO because I've never seen it.
I don't park in disabled bays either.

Just found this on water act 2003......

Rights to abstract small quantities

(1)The restriction on abstraction shall not apply to any abstraction of a quantity of water not exceeding twenty cubic metres in any period of twenty-four hours, if the abstraction does not form part of a continuous operation, or of a series of operations, by which a quantity of water which, in aggregate, is more than twenty cubic metres is abstracted during the period.

Just found this on water act 2003......

Rights to abstract small quantities

(1)The restriction on abstraction shall not apply to any abstraction of a quantity of water not exceeding twenty cubic metres in any period of twenty-four hours, if the abstraction does not form part of a continuous operation, or of a series of operations, by which a quantity of water which, in aggregate, is more than twenty cubic metres is abstracted during the period.

It is no good cherry picking one paragraph from a whole act. I think you will find that relates to such as farmers and landowners abstracting from wells, rivers, lakes and boreholes etc. not tapping into the mains in the street.

Ring your local water authority and ask them.

It is no good cherry picking one paragraph from a whole act. I think you will find that relates to such as farmers and landowners abstracting from wells, rivers, lakes and boreholes etc. not tapping into the mains in the street.

Ring your local water authority and ask them.

Did you have a read? I got halfway and thought it’s not worth it. So after all that the answer is no one uses hydrants.

Seems to me this Lemon Squeezer is a Bengal Lancer regarding his Ten Furlongs.

Alf

Did you have a read? I got halfway and thought it’s not worth it. So after all that the answer is no one uses hydrants.

Radio 4 did a piece on this in the last few days - it is illegal to use unauthorised hydrants to extract water. Prosecutions are being increased fairly quickly as in some parts of the country many large companies are now stealing water. Unauthorised hydrants stir up silt and sediment which causes discoloration of the water and the water companies may have to provide bottled water for its legitimate customers. It is possible to legally use a hydrant but only with permission, and a bill, from the local water company.

so i suggest that from a WC point of view its a non starter to get water in this way.

I never really thought of that one , I have a triangle utility key as well as a set of jumper leads, with clamps.

It's been done before,

but I don't know what size fuse they put in the lighting pillar ?

:rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

It's been done before,

but I don't know what size fuse they put in the lighting pillar ?

:rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Back in a past life....
Working for a firm that emptied the cash boxes from BT telephone boxes....
Rocked up to a payphone in 'little Pakistan' (Ashton on ribble in Preston)
To find an extension lead plugged into the engineers power supply (behind lower panel in the phone box) running into the nearby house........

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back