Fire Grill

Robmac

Following a recent thread by @st3v3 I have been looking at stuff for outside cooking. This is mainly for when I'm camping with my motorcycle but can also be used when out in the van.

It arrived yesterday and I am really pleased with it. I will use it over a firepit, but I can also use it with a gas cannister stove or my woodgas stove. It is very compact and so ideal for on the bike and the build quality is very good. At it's highest level it is a little unstable but I don't see it as a problem and will mainly use it on the middle level anyway. Plenty of room for a frying pan, saucepan and kettle all at the same time.

I paid £24.95 from Amazon + delivery. Free delivery was available but I wanted it now! (It will pay for itself anyway when using the woodgas stove) It also comes with a decent quality bag and scraper/cleaning tool.

Thats a decent price for 316 stainless, Rob, and a simple yet clever design.

Yes I think that's marine grade Terry.

I will also use it with my cast iron griddle and Dutch Oven when I go away in the van or boat.

Yes I think that's marine grade Terry.

I will also use it with my cast iron griddle and Dutch Oven when I go away in the van or boat.
316 SS will be fine for grill application, 316L has a lower carbon content to 316, with 316L usually the norm for marine component use.

Rothiemurcus going to see the grill christened this winter, Rob.

316 SS will be fine for grill application, 316L has a lower carbon content to 316, with 316L usually the norm for marine component use.

Rothiemurcus going to see the grill christened this winter, Rob.

Definitely going up there Terry. I can't remember if they allow fires though?

Thats a shame about no fires Rob. Unfortunately, not everyone are responsible with fires as you are.

Yes, I wouldn't use a campfire in a place like that Terry but thought I may get away with my Woodgas stove. I use a 20cm cake tin to catch the ashes with stones underneath it to raise it and leave no trace, I suppose the risk of sparks is still there though.

They do allow BBQ's but only charcoal. Unfortunately I have seen evidence of some fairly large campfires not far from the campsite in the Lairig Grhu so I can see their concerns.

...I also see that Loch an Eilein has a pop up campsite now. Worth a night there I reckon.

You’ve always been allowed to tent camp and overnight in the van there. They started charging you about 10years ago. It’s one of our fav places in the world and has been the start point of many an adventure.

You’ve always been allowed to tent camp and overnight in the van there. They started charging you about 10years ago. It’s one of our fav places in the world and has been the start point of many an adventure.

I've walked there from Rothiemurchus many times but never realised you could stay there in vans or tents. I do recall (I think) seeing a Bothy in the area?

Yeah, I love it there too Cal.

There is a wee Bothy next to the carpark but it’s private. There’s a Bothy between Loch an Eilein and Loch Gamma open to the public.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back