Fire drill

She would be out long before me. Off like a racing snake.
Reminds me of a fishing trip a few years back.

Me and 2 mates were surveying the river from the end of a rickety jetty when it started to collapse. I went down first and instead of helping me, the other 2 scrambled over me, their boots pressing my head further and further underwater as they panicked to stay dry.

Oh yes, camaraderie went straight out of the window that day!

To be serious though, I would as much do this as have a fire drill.

If the van's on fire, get the **** out of Dodge! Don't pick anything up, sod women and children - ME first!
Rob, that is a plan, it’s that simple, apart from the bit about women and children. You weren’t the captain of the Italian cruise liner that sunk a few years back by any chance :)

Reminds me of a fishing trip a few years back.

Me and 2 mates were surveying the river from the end of a rickety jetty when it started to collapse. I went down first and instead of helping me, the other 2 scrambled over me, their boots pressing my head further and further underwater as they panicked to stay dry.

Oh yes, camaraderie went straight out of the window that day!
We were on London Bridge when the police shot the nutter, our lass would have tampled Flo Jo down. Who knew she could run so fast. I guess she didn't realise she only needed to be able to run faster than me. 🤣

We were on London Bridge when the police shot the nutter, our lass would have tampled Flo Jo down. Who knew she could run so fast. I guess she didn't realise she only needed to be able run faster than me. 🤣

I don't blame her!

Did she stamp on your foot before she took off?

I would have expected you to respond exactly that way. But i do think its about worrying to start with that then causes the planning to happen. It all stars with "What if". If others want to do it and live their lives that way fine. I did say in my post personally not for me.
What if I am parked in a wood and a tree falls on me, must we plan for it. What if, what if, etc, etc, When does the risk of something happening become so little we don't have to bother planning for it. I know vans do set fire. I know vans do set on fire and set others on fire on aires but it happens so seldom to ME its not even worth a consideration. If it was I simply would not go on such a aire.

As for people keeping everything in a bag nice and handy I am sure the next time they are gassed the thieves will be very appreciative. 🤣
Things that rarely happen can still happen tomorrow. And someone who has been a fireman has seen on a daily basis the painful results of people not bothering to even take the simple common sense precautions that cost little or no effort to take.

As for trees I always give them a once over, having once had a very near miss that could have sunk our barge if it has landed on us.

It’s not a case of paranoia or going out of our way to take excessive precautions, it’s just a case of being aware of risks.

But then someone who has had a professional duty of care to third parties, needed indemnity insurance, and spent a lot of time doing risk assessments would say that wouldn’t he.

Things that rarely happen can still happen tomorrow. And someone who has been a fireman has seen on a daily basis the painful results of people not bothering to even take the simple common sense precautions that cost little or no effort to take.

As for trees I always give them a once over, having once had a very near miss that could have sunk our barge if it has landed on us.

It’s not a case of paranoia or going out of our way to take excessive precautions, it’s just a case of being aware of risks.

But then someone who has had a professional duty of care to third parties, needed indemnity insurance, and spent a lot of time doing risk assessments would say that wouldn’t he.

I'm really not knocking your idea - and if it saves your life or somebody else's then all power to you. I put forward my views somewhat frivolously, because that is my general outlook on life.

When I was delivering for my own business (garden furniture), I refused to do risk assessments or sit through H&S videos. Mainly because I would never have got my deliveries done, but also because I thought they were a waste of time anyway. If they then refused to let me on site, then I drove away. Invariably they then rang me and begged me to make the delivery without all the H&S procedure.

Just the way I am I guess!

As I had to do the above most of my working life. I guess not all of us. Just because something was my professional duty does not mean I have to carry it over into my private life.
Ever wonder how a Safety Officer gets their kicks.

I remember delivering 20 picnic tables to Butterfly World in Hertfordshire a couple of days before they opened.

On site I was immediately approached by a bloke with a clip board in Hi-Viz.

"Right" he said, "I want to see you in Hi-Viz, Hard Hat, Goggles, Gloves and protective boots before you even think about starting work".

It was the hottest day of the year. I explained to him that if I put all that on and then assembled the 20 benches I would probably collapse from heat exhaustion.

"Not my problem" He said.

"Not mine either" I said and drove off.

10 minutes later I got a 'phone call from a young lady in tears, she was the owner. I then agreed to go back and do the work providing that I didn't see any trace of him whilst I was there.

I reckon it’s up to each individual what they do. We are all different.

Great idea to put essentials into a grab bag but don’t leave it on the table or out. Put it under your mattress, under your pillow or even under the covers. Some eight years ago parked by the Midi Canal over night with some 20 other vans we were broken into. The wardrobe rummaged through, the clothes that we leave out every night on the bench seat in case the dogs want to go out missing. Spectacle glasses and sun glasses taken off the table. Those two dogs who lovingly slept on the bed and were meant to be the burglar alarm didn’t make a peep so don’t make it too easy just in case

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back