Filling a gas it system

gypo

Morning all,
We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome that has a two bottle gas it system on it.
My question is with regards to filling it.
It doesn’t have the auto switch over facility.
Am I right in thinking that prior to filling it I just open both bottles then fill it up at the garage.
It know it might be a stupid question but I thought I better check :)
Thanks gang
D

I fill with bottles closed Gypo, but have forgotten so maybe it doesn't matter, the main thing is FRIDGE OFF GAS

Thinking about it, if you have a tank under the van I don't think you can turn it off easily, never had one so not sure.

Thanks but If you fill with the bottles closed how can the gas get in them?

It fills through a different filling point, you are supposed to close them before filling, although I always forgot to do this,
Now we have a underslung tank so closing before filling isn’t really practical

closing the valve only stops the gas going into the van not the bottle.

Assuming of course that this is a proper Gaslow or Gasit system and not some DIY lash up, I ask as this is the system you bought it with.

We always fill our Gaslow set up with valves open. The issue is if you start opening gas storage compartment doors at service stations, attendants start getting nervous and may prevent you from filling. We just remove the external filler cap, screw on the adaptor for whichever country we are in, fit the pump and fill. We do travel with valves open. We want to stop for a break, put the kettle on and allow the fridge to switch to gas from DC, without having to turn gas on and off each time.

The only time it is turned off is on a ferry or in storage.

Never had an problem at any service station or with the motorhome gas system.

I am assuming all lpg systems from Gaslow, Gasit, etc. function basically the same way.

Just found on the Gaslow site...

Always ensure that you Gaslow Cylinders are turned off before filling commences. This applies to all LPG systems not just Gaslow cylinders.

Check the date on the orange pipes too.

Bet you're glad you asked, it's all simple really, just a little learning curve.

We always fill our Gaslow set up with valves open. The issue is if you start opening gas storage compartment doors at service stations, attendants start getting nervous and may prevent you from filling. We just remove the external filler cap, screw on the adaptor for whichever country we are in, fit the pump and fill. We do travel with valves open. We want to stop for a break, put the kettle on and allow the fridge to switch to gas from DC, without having to turn gas on and off each time.

We always fill our Gaslow set up with the valves closed. We travel with the valve closed, so no issue opening storage doors
To me the risk of travelling with valves open outweighs the benefits, but I recognise that this is a personal choice. The religion on my passport is "Coward - Othodox".

I've not seen a reason online for why you should have the valve closed, but I would assume having thunk a bit about it, it might be that there is a much higher pressure coming into the tank/cylinder whilst filling it than the tank itself would normally have, which could overload the gas regulator, this would then possible cause the appliance taps to fail, but then I would think the brains that make the regulators would have put a failsafe in them to prevent that.

But not found any useful info.

I've not seen a reason online for why you should have the valve closed, but I would assume having thunk a bit about it, it might be that there is a much higher pressure coming into the tank/cylinder whilst filling it than the tank itself would normally have, which could overload the gas regulator, this would then possible cause the appliance taps to fail, but then I would think the brains that make the regulators would have put a failsafe in them to prevent that.

But not found any useful info.
The reason is the 80% full control valve might fail with the implications this would have if overfilling the bottles.

You'd think that info would be easy to find.

Although I did find this just now but no such instructions came with the cylinder or filling kit.

the document you linked to includes the following
valveclose.jpg

Back