Fife Update from Robbie Blythe.

Fisherman

Got this update from Robbie this morning.

Hi William

Thanks for your email and positive feedback.

I’ve attached the report (pages 18 – 20) that was taken to Fife Councils Environment, Transportation and Climate Change Scrutiny Committee which took place on the 23rd Jan 24. The additional locations are not on our website yet as much work is needed prior to providing operational overnight parking at all the locations. The report did say over the period 24 / 25 and the news article (YouTube) though very positive is slight inaccurate.

However the good news is that Leven Promenade (10 overnight parking areas) should be officially up and running in about 2 weeks, Burntisland 1 (10 overnight bays) in about 3 weeks and Burntisland 2 (2 overnight bays) in about 4 week. Information will go up onto our website. I am not to sure on the timelines for St Andrews, Tayport and Kinghorn as I need to get over a few hurdles such as consultation, legals and finding, once we have all the signage etc at each site.

Sorry for the lack of action on the taps as we have fitted drinking points and sinks to the external of the building but conscious, we need to act on the Chemical Waste Disposal Point.

Hope this helps and don’t hesitate to get back to me.

Kind Regards

Robbie Blyth

Head of Operations
Fife Coast and Countryside Trust
Pitcairn Centre
Moidart Drive
Glenrothes
Fife
KY7 6ET

Tel. 03451 55 55 55 ext. 444981
Mob. 07940774065

image001.png

I have extracted the section relating to us from the meeting mentioned in Robbie’s letter, and highlighted the conclusion and section 2.1 which I reckon makes for good reading for a change. They hope to go from the current 51 spaces to 150 spaces by 2025.

Environment, Transportation and Climate Change Scrutiny Committee
23 January 2024 Agenda Item No. 6
Fife Coast & Countryside Trust – Motorhomes and Campervans Provision
Report by: Jeremy Harris, CEO Fife Coast & Countryside Trust (FCCT) Wards Affected: Fife Wide
Purpose
The purpose of this report is to advise the committee on the progress made in relation to sustainable overnight motorhome parking since the publication of the Fife Coast & Countryside Trust (FCCT) option paper Freedom Camping - Options Paper on Motorhome Use in Fife - Consultation Draft
Recommendation(s)
The Committee is asked to –
(1) Note the positive progress that has been made since the publication of Freedom Camping Options Paper in 2020.
(2) Note the work that’s proposed to be carried out by Fife Coast and Countryside Trust (FCCT) at the listed locations for 2024.
Resource Implications
None to note.
Legal & Risk Implications
None to note
Impact Assessment
An EqIA, EIA, or DPIA have not been completed for this report specifically and are not necessary because the report does not propose a change or constitute a revision to existing policies and practices,
Consultation
Members will be aware that there have been a range of consultation events relating to the introduction of overnight parking with Elected Members, Community Councils, Private Landowners, Fife Council Departments, the Motorhome Community, and other relevant stakeholders.

This report has been compiled with input from Fife Coast and Countryside Trust’s Head of Operations.
1.0 Background
1.1 Controlled overnight parking has been introduced at the following locations: Craigmead, East Lomond, Birnie Loch, Wormit Bay, Glenvale, Limekilns, Kingsbarns, Elie Ruby Bay, Pittenweem and Aberdour Silver Sands car parks.
1.2 FCCT intends to introduce overnight parking in 2024/25 at the following locations: Leven Promenade, Kinghorn Pettycur Bay, St Andrews (East Sands), Burntisland and Tayport.
1.3 It is proposed that carpark management will be undertaken by FCCT staff by way of the Parking Charge Notification Scheme (PCNS).
1.4 The primary outcome from the introduction of the PCN scheme will be to reduce environmental and Health & Safety risk through established management practices that are more robust than those currently in place.
1.5 A secondary outcome shall be a modest income stream that will be reinvested into the supervision / upgrade of the associated facilities within the affected localities.
1.6 Prior to the introduction of the overnight parking scheme the increase in motorhome usage had introduced significant environmental challenges and increase associated user risk.
2.0 Issues and Options
2.1 Current Provision / Future Provision: The current overnight parking scheme provides a total of 51 overnight parking bays. The proposed introduction of further sites (listed under ) brings the overall total overnight parking bays to 88 (Fife wide). We hope to achieve a total of 150 bays available to motorhome users year-round by 2025.
2.2 Parking Pricing Structure: The introduction of the PCN scheme corresponds with the introduction of pricing structures for car parks. The standard structure is as follows:
• Disabled day time parking: Free
• Day time parking under 2 hours: Free
• All day parking: £1.00
• Overnight parking: £10:00
Through careful stakeholder consultation prior to the introduction of a PCN scheme in any location, FCCT is able to amend and tailor the approach based on community feedback. Examples currently implemented range from ‘Suggested Donation’ models to the standard pricing structure outlined above.

2.3 Education & Engagement: Mobile FCCT Car Park Operatives patrol the listed car parks to facilitate safe / sustainable parking, monitor vehicle numbers, encourage best practice, and when required redirect service users to alternative locations at peak periods.
2.4 Revenue Funding (Mobile FCCT Car Park Operatives): Extra revenue funding will not be required from Fife Council to allow FCCT staff to undertake the additional work for the proposed additional 5 car parks.
3.0 Conclusion
3.1 The application of this model across more sites managed by FCCT fits well with the Council’s tourism strategy and not only facilitates safe and sustainable tourism but will complement the recently introduced Fife 191 Scheme.
3.2 It is important to note that all car parks listed here do not fall under the Council’s consolidation orders scheme (Transportation Services). Should the proposed locations not become managed under the PCN Scheme they will remain Unregulated Public Car Parks.
Report Contact
Robbie Blyth
Head of Operations (FCCT)
Pitcairn Centre, Glenrothes, KY76ET Telephone: 08451 55 55 55 ext. 444981 Email – robbie.blyth@fifecountryside.co.uk

Last edited:
So currently there are 51 places in Fife to park up, but by 2025, they plan to increase this to 150. Fife is one of these places that for some reason European and others from the U.K. seem to avoid in their journeys further north. They head up the west coast missing one of our most iconic regions, with stunning small villages and cracking coastal walks, we refer to as the East Neuk. Fife see us as an integral part of their overall tourism policy, not as a nuisance that needs to be dealt with. They have proven conclusively that the myth about invite motorhomes and you will only encourage travellers, is indeed just that, a myth. Places such an East Lothian use this myth repeatedly to justify draconian measures towards us. I find it strange that Fife with its welcoming policies towards us, are not inundated with travellers in all of their carparks. ;)

I once asked Robbie what would you do if some of us dumped our waste inappropriately. Robbie’s reply was simple, provide the means for you all never to have to do so, there are not enough chemical waste points, we want to instal many more, and they have, and they will be installing even more.

Last edited:
So currently there are 51 places in Fife to park up, but by 2025, they plan to increase this to 150. Fife is one of these places that for some reason European and others from the U.K. seem to avoid in their journeys further north. They head up the west coast missing one of our most iconic regions, with stunning small villages and cracking coastal walks, we refer to as the East Neuk. Fife see us as an integral part of their overall tourism policy, not as a nuisance that needs to be dealt with. They have proven conclusively that the myth about invite motorhomes and you will only encourage travellers, is indeed just that, a myth. Places such an East Lothian use this myth repeatedly to justify draconian measures towards us. I find it strange that Fife with its welcoming policies towards us, are not inundated with travellers in all of their carparks. ;)

I once asked Robbie what would you do if some of us dumped our waste inappropriately. Robbie’s reply was simple, provide the means for you all never to have to do so, there are not enough chemical waste points, we want to instal many more, and they have, and they will be installing even more.
Suspect East Lothian sees itself as more elite/exclusive.
Cafe/pub owners (as NC500) would still welcome our business

Suspect East Lothian sees itself as more elite/exclusive.
Cafe/pub owners (as NC500) would still welcome our business
How can it be when it’s got problems with travellers, well that’s what they tell me when I question them about barriers. ;)

We spent 2 weeks in Fife last year fabulous place easy to find overnight stops. Well done Fife we'll be back

East neuk are cracking little motorhome converters too, you cann’t get used ones for love nor money. (Just saying)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back