Fiat radio time out after 20min

barryd

Last night we had a late night Glastonbury catch up watching on a laptop with the audio playing full chat through the motorhome sound system. Bloody brilliant! Except there is a 20min cut off time out on the 2015 fiat Ducato radio so I kept having to leap to the front and put it back on again.

Anyone found a way around this? Found various threads but no real solution.

On the plus side I reckon my solar panel is charging my vehicle battery as well as the leisure battery as it was down a prong last night and showing full this morning

Is there not a programme to reset the radio, should be, i detest modern cr-p these days, prefair a hand tuned old sharp anyday.
You can then fit a remote on off unit which meens no more hopping in and out of bed. :)

I found a thread just now that suggests on some there is a way to adjust the time out but not all radios. I doubt we will use it that much.

Last night we had a late night Glastonbury catch up watching on a laptop with the audio playing full chat through the motorhome sound system. Bloody brilliant! Except there is a 20min cut off time out on the 2015 fiat Ducato radio so I kept having to leap to the front and put it back on again.

On the plus side I reckon my solar panel is charging my vehicle battery as well as the leisure battery as it was down a prong last night and showing full this morning
Move the ign live to permanent live at the back of the radio.

Move the ign live to permanent live at the back of the radio.
I'm not sure that will work as it does come on without the keys in the ignition so it's live. It just decides itself after 20 minutes that you have had enough fun and shuts itself off. :(

It is not unusual for car radios to time out when the engine is not running. It is to stop people from flattening the engine battery and being unable to start the engine.

Nah! You should have heard it in here last night late on. 😁 System is quad 120 watts. Doesn't half pack some punch. Usb speakers wont cut it.
Don’t be so sure Barry, my MiniRigs are superb. Less watts than yours but they certainly fill a room. Son in law was at a family do last month when the dj’s kit packed up, he nipped home for his two speakers and sun and they reckon it was better than what the dj had lol

Don’t be so sure Barry, my MiniRigs are superb. Less watts than yours but they certainly fill a room. Son in law was at a family do last month when the dj’s kit packed up, he nipped home for his two speakers and sun and they reckon it was better than what the dj had lol
They sound really good them reading the reviews and 100 hours battery time! Might get though half my back catalogue! ☺️

The radio is probably a canbus connected unit if it is turning off after 20 minutes. It will not matter where the power comes from, if there is no engine running signal, it will turn off in order to preserve the battery, same as just about any OEM car radio nowadays.
There is very unlikely to be any way to get round that without changing the radio for a non-canbus unit

My Malibu Van is the same as my Carthago was. The radio can be switched over to be powered by the leisure battery instead of the engine one and then it can stay on as long as you want. Perhaps the switch over also includes a simulated D+ signal to stop it shutting down?

I have a similar set up, with amp and sub this draws 3.6A on tick over so I wired the radio from the leisure battery, that did solve the problem.... Except I wasn't keen on the sound so swapped in a Kenwood DAB head unit. Sorted.

I have a similar set up, with amp and sub this draws 3.6A on tick over so I wired the radio from the leisure battery, that did solve the problem.... Except I wasn't keen on the sound so swapped in a Kenwood DAB head unit. Sorted.
That's quite a draw! I don't think we will be repeating the drunken Glastonbury boom boom night though for a bit anyway as we have an elderly couple in a Tugger in the field now about 100 yards away. 😁

You can see why it cuts out then.

I ran a wire from the leisure battery to the cab, fitted a switch and continued to the radio, after cutting through the 12v radio feed from the main battery. So far this seems to be fine, though I do have to turn the thing off at night as I had bypassed the leisure battery control panel. If anyone can see a problem with that please don't hesitate, it will prevent others following and I'll have to find another solution.

Back