Fiat maxi Chassis

Fisherman

Does anyone know exactly what a fiat maxi chassis is. I have taken a look online and struggle to find much info. Just wondering.
Thanks.

grath

Does anyone know exactly what a fiat maxi chassis is. I have taken a look online and struggle to find much info. Just wondering.
Thanks.
Heavier with heavier payload and always 16 inch wheels.
Different stud holes than the 16 inch wheels on the light chassis.
The Light chassis in standard trim has 15 inch wheels
We have had two Maxi's
Our last was 4500kg

grath

To add

It is pointless to run a Maxi at 3500kg or below as the extra chassis weight will eat into your payload, but a Maxi is well worth having if you have the C1 Licence and want a good payload.
Our Hymer Tramp was also up weighted from 3500kg to 4100kg
I think a light chassis can only be up weighted to around 3850kg Max
Also consider AiRide on the rear suspension. This can give an extra 100kg on the back axle

wildebus

To add

It is pointless to run a Maxi at 3500kg or below as the extra chassis weight will eat into your payload, but a Maxi is well worth having if you have the C1 Licence and want a good payload.
Our Hymer Tramp was also up weighted from 3500kg to 4100kg
I think a light chassis can only be up weighted to around 3850kg Max
Also consider AiRide on the rear suspension. This can give an extra 100kg on the back axle
I looked into this and you can take the light chassis to 4000Kg as far as SVTech are concerned.
The basic uprating rules for the light chassis seem to be:
3700kg if tyres have suitable load rating; then ...​
3850kg if fitting Air Assist; then ...​
4000kg if fitting uprated front springs​
(I was going to fit the Air Assist this week but it has turned bitterly cold so that is postponed!)

grath

SV Teck pushed our Maxi up and they could only get it to 4100kg and that was with air on the back and the highest rated Mich tyres
That was about 10 years ago. Things could have changed as the fiat model has had a few upgrades
So the 3850kg I mentioned is about right as not many would replace the front springs

Bigshug

I have a 2011 maxi and it seems that the two axle weights add up to 4500kg, what baffles me is that the first number is only 3500kg!!

Attachments

• 049E96BB-0333-48FC-B836-332BF6C68798.jpeg
    049E96BB-0333-48FC-B836-332BF6C68798.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 17

Mobilvetta

I have the Fiat light weight Chassis and had the air suspension put on the back, it was already came as standard with 16" wheels and John Ruffles uplifted it to 4050kg, didn't have to have the front suspension altered.Cant understand why Svtech don't give the same allowances. I think now that I have become a bit better educated, I would go for the heavy Chassis to give me a better pay load.

wildebus

I have the Fiat light weight Chassis and had the air suspension put on the back, it was already came as standard with 16" wheels and John Ruffles uplifted it to 4050kg, didn't have to have the front suspension altered.Cant understand why Svtech don't give the same allowances. I think now that I have become a bit better educated, I would go for the heavy Chassis to give me a better pay load.
I thought the lightweight chassis came with 15" as standard? did you buy it new or did a previous owner maybe specify a wheel upgrade?

r4dent

I have a 2011 maxi and it seems that the two axle weights add up to 4500kg, what baffles me is that the first number is only 3500kg!!
It is usual for the individual axle limits to total more than the overall max.

In manycases the MGW is reduced to 3500kg for marketing purposes, and can be upgraded to over 3500 without any mechanical change.

Nabsim

That’s because your maximum weight is 3500kgs. You have to keep the overall weight to that and also make sure you don’t overload each axle.

mark61

Would have thought it unusual for the combined axle weights to be 1000KG over the GVW.

wildebus

As far as the difference between the allowances John Ruffles used to give compared to SVTech, I think looking at the numbers I have on my van, it is really down to the point Nabsim makes below in the second sentence.
That’s because your maximum weight is 3500kgs. You have to keep the overall weight to that and also make sure you don’t overload each axle.
With Mr Ruffles approach, the user had to be very careful on the weight distribution to ensure it was not overloaded on an axle. SVTech seemed to be a lot more cautious in that respect and required you to effectively uprate the axle allowances to gain payload rather then get you to put stuff in the right place (easier said than done usually). Not saying his method was wrong at all, but it did (IMO) put an big onus on the driver and too many people have, to be frank, not a clue.
A bit academic now of course, now that SVTech seems to be the only player in the game when it comes to providing uprated plates.

TeamRienza

Someone on a forum posted a link to this firm,

However I have not heard any reports or prices.

Davy

colinm

Would have thought it unusual for the combined axle weights to be 1000KG over the GVW.
Not really, there must be thousands of Maxi chassis vans with 3500kg, the reason being at first with X250 all XLWB vans where built as a preference on Maxi chassis even if you only wanted 3500kg, our van is one. However I believe now with the XLWB X290 it is more common for them to be built with light weight chassis, this has become a problem for those people who have specified a light chassis on a long van, the rear axle often becomes overloaded before getting near max weight.

yeoblade

I have a 2012 X250 Maxi plated at 4005 kg from factory XLWB. I have not changed it as it has a good payload , not overloaded on the back axle even with a scooter in the garage. (Yes I weighed it!) with air assist rear.
All Maxis have (had) 16" wheels with larger discs etc. which also have a different PCD (Stud dimensions) than the 15" wheels, however there are also 16" wheels made to fit the 15" PCD wheel set up too!
So as normal it is all confusing as ever!

Last edited:

grath

Yea be very carful, we have owned two Maxi Chassis and always had a spare wheel, but these do NOT fit the 16 inch wheels on the Light Chassis. The stud hole locations are different.

QFour

Maxi chassis have double leaf springs and larger wheels to take the weight.