Fiat Ducato 244 Cruise control

ChrisInNotts

I had to recently do a fair bit of dismantling in our Fiat 244 Ducato based Hymer in order to fix a jammed heater distribution control (a real bugger of a job). While I was in there I thought I would investigate adding cruise control. It turned out to be fairly straightforward if you can handle a soldering iron and read a wiring diagram. There is lots of help on the "net" but some of it can be a little confusing to interpret at times so my experience is briefly detail below;

The first important point is that vehicles shipped without cruise control have the basic wiring in place for this to be easily added. Originally, the controls were mounted on the steering wheel but second hand items are near impossible to find. Thus, people either make up a "box" with suitable switches or use alternative stalk controls. Most use the stalk off an Alfa 147 (p/n 735365522) which are easily obtained second hand or new. These slot reasonably well into place under the steering wheel - one of the two mounting holes line up and I used some hot melt glue as added security on the upper mount. Careful trimming of the lower cowl is then needed to produce a result that looks near to "factory". A small loom is needed to connect the switch to the ECU connector block which was on the LHS of the cab and just to the right of our fuse box on our right hand drive vehicle. This is the hardest bit as the colours don't match so care is needed. The other main job is to swap the 2 pole brake light switch for a 4 pole one so the cruise disconnects when you brake. Like most, our van had 4 wires to the switch so a cheap (£10) swap for the appropriate switch ticked that box. Swapping the switch was not easy even with most of my dash panels out as its all very tight under there.

The final issue is then how to power everything. Ideally a supply should be brought from the appropriately labelled fuse so that future trouble shooting is easier. Many (like me) went for the easy option and power things from the brake light switch by linking two wires at the brake light switch (ie taking the 12v feed from the brake light circuit) and taking a power feed from the link.

Once its all sorted then initially nothing! The ECU takes time to "learn" that cruise control is fitted. I kept trying the switch but it was only on our third trip that the green "cruise" light came on and it all worked as it should. I probably could have plugged the diagnostics in and sorted it sooner but my laptop needed attention. One of those jobs that I wished I had done years ago!

The PDF wiring diagram attached is from "Communicator" on the Fiat Forum posted. His? posting was extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Keith

Attachments

• 20211207_135129.jpg
    20211207_135129.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 383
  • Cruise Control 5060 Mod.pdf
    418.7 KB · Views: 441
Hello ChrisInNotts,
This is a very good post.
Can you give us some more pictures of the wiring? So all the part you need is : Alfa 147 (p/n 735365522) and brake light switch?
BR, Dule

Yes, that's all you need apart from some wires and a bit of soldering Sorry thats far too long ago for me to remember what I did now. I do recall its straightforward once its all in front of you. Lots of guides on the internet if you Google.

Keith

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back