Fiat 2.3 Timing belt bolts

colinm

I'm after info of anyone with actual knowledge or experience of the following.

Engine is Fiat (Iveco) 2.3 2011, AFAIK the timing belt and parts are the same across all ages of this engine, as I've checked several years and they all use same kit.

AFAIK the tensioner pulley bolt needs replacing as it's a stretch bolt, I have one on order and that will be done.

The problem I have is with the idler pulley bolts, the kit I brought (and AFAIK all kits) have new bolts for the idler pulley, but my kit from SKF has what I consider to be a bodge, in place of the original Fiat zinc plated large flanged bolt it has a sheradised small flanged bolt and washer, I'm not happy using this bolt and would prefer to use the original style bolt. As I brought the kit over 60 days ago Euro Car Parts have refused a refund, and Fiat want nearly £300 IIRC for a new kit which includes bolt for idler pulley (and second one for aux belt pulley which was also removed.

So my question is, does anyone know why the idler pulley bolts are supplied, or has anyone replaced the belt without replacing the idler pulley bolts.

Why don't you just search for a more suitable bolt to the spec you require. There are stockholders for all kinds of fasteners and fixings.

Why don't you just search for a more suitable bolt to the spec you require. There are stockholders for all kinds of fasteners and fixings.
I forgot to mention due to the nature of my (previous) employment I have extensive knowledge of fixings, both modern and historical, these bolts appear to be specific Fiat parts which is why I believe SKF came up with their 'bodge'.

I would just use the original bolts torqued up and a bit loctite.
That is my preferred option at the moment, but it puzzles me as to why Fiat and aftermarket suppliers include new bolts, and then the bolt which defintly needs replacing is not included in kits and needs ordering separately.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back