Ferry Prices

John H

When we came over the Channel in September last year, it cost us £38 for our 7 metre motorhome (Dover - Dunkirque). I've just booked the return journey with DFDS (Calais to Dover) for mid-April @ £24.50! I looked up the P&O price for the same route on the same day and it was £52. Can anyone make any sense of this? How on earth do ferry companies fix their prices? Not that I'm complaining about £24.50!

Bloody h*ll John that is cheap :boat: what do you drive a romahome ? :lol-049:

No, McLouis Glen - 7 metres long. All prices via the Caravan Club - its one of the few reasons to be a member of that bloody organisation!

Re; Ferry prices

I live on the Isle of Wight and the ferry over here is much more than that!
As I'm a resident though I do get a slight concession and if you are prepared to travel in anti-social hours you can get a much better deal.
We normally get a late sailing (11.45ish) for 15 quid, then park up in the New Forest (again we've found a quiet spot!), then carry on in the morning.
By the way anyone visiting the Island can fill up with water at my house anytime!!

Hello
We usually travel DFDS to Dunkirk but the last trip we went DFDS Dover Calias
Can't remember the name of the vessel but it was an absolute shed. Threadbare carpet, broken windows,curtains hanging off, tiles lifting in the cafeteria area,and it was difficult to find a seat that was not stained and ripped. I shudder to think what the kitchens were like but I would not have bought any food.
P & O was £5 dearer and if I had known what the DFDS vessel was like I would have paid the extra £5.

Blue Skies

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello
We usually travel DFDS to Dunkirk but the last trip we went DFDS Dover Calias
Can't remember the name of the vessel but it was an absolute shed. Threadbare carpet, broken windows tiles lifting in the cafeteria area,and it was difficult to find a seat that was not stained and ripped.
P & O was £5 dearer and if I had known what the DFDS vessel was like I would have paid the extra £5.

Blue Skies

You seem to have been very unlucky. We have travelled most ferry routes from the UK and have always had a very well-appointed ship - hope we don't get your one this April! :)

How long ago was that? We went Dover Dunkirk in December and the ferry was very clean. Apparently all the boats have been refurbished according to a crew member. We were quite happy to have meals both ways.

Travel to Dunkerque is usually cheaper than Calais since Dunkerque is more off the main tourist route and looks more like a haulage port. I just head for the cheapest port. Dunkerque is quieter with less ferries so less choice of sailing times but that doesn't bother me.

Travel to Dunkerque is usually cheaper than Calais since Dunkerque is more off the main tourist route and looks more like a haulage port. I just head for the cheapest port. Dunkerque is quieter with less ferries so less choice of sailing times but that doesn't bother me.

Hi

When we sailed out in September, the DFDS price for Dover - Dunkirque was cheaper than for Dover - Calais so, being cheapskates, we booked that one at £38. However, when I looked up the return price for mid-April, both routes were the same price and considerably cheaper than on the way out! The only lesson I can learn from all this is that you can never tell what its going to cost you and to make sure that you examine all options every time you sail. Who knows, next year it might be cheaper to go via Denmark :lol-053:

Hi

When we sailed out in September, the DFDS price for Dover - Dunkirque was cheaper than for Dover - Calais so, being cheapskates, we booked that one at £38. However, when I looked up the return price for mid-April, both routes were the same price and considerably cheaper than on the way out! The only lesson I can learn from all this is that you can never tell what its going to cost you and to make sure that you examine all options every time you sail. Who knows, next year it might be cheaper to go via Denmark :lol-053:

Via Denmark would be a great route. Would be able to stock up on bacon and lego :raofl:

How long ago was that? We went Dover Dunkirk in December and the ferry was very clean. Apparently all the boats have been refurbished according to a crew member. We were quite happy to have meals both ways.
Hello

October
Like I said we usually go DFDS Dover /Dunkirk and the vessels were always fine. Just this one occasion we went DFDS Dover /Calais.
The vessel was way overdue a refurbishment.

Blue Skies

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back