ferry from Oban to Loch Boisdale

nellie

have just heard that the ferry can be a bit rough from Oban to Loch Boisdale, South Uist - can anyone advise please

It just depends on the weather Nellie.
I've been on the ferry when it has been like a millpond (1st trip) and I've been on it in the winter when even I (quite a good sailor) had doubts about holding my supper down.
In the summer I should think you will be fine.

Depends on the luck of the day, crossed to Lochmaddy on the 7th. May in a howling gale and running 40 minutes late. Came back on the 21st. to Uig on a millpond.
Cheerup! Calmac has a superb safety record....

Hi Sagart.
I remember one trip when we drove like mad from RAF Benbecula to catch the 6am ferry at Lochmaddy (stores Sgt slept in) we got there as they were pulling up the ramp.
They let us on but as it was storm force 10 we didn't sail until 10am (couldn't get away from terminal) BUT, they opened the bar at 06:05, fatal man fatal.
Not only that but when we got to the Kyle we went into a pub and met some Navy personnel. Well, I'll leave the rest to your imagination.
We eventually got to Raf Lossiemouth after a 19 hour journey.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Nellie, but I'm sure you will have a great trip.
Don't forget to take the binoculars with you.

Hi Sagart

sounds as though it wouldnt have mattered what the weather was like! you obviously had a lot of fun:) and probably a sore head :(

Nellie

sorry Sagart - new to this computer lark - meant this for NEW ROVER

Depends on the luck of the day, crossed to Lochmaddy on the 7th. May in a howling gale and running 40 minutes late. Came back on the 21st. to Uig on a millpond.
Cheerup! Calmac has a superb safety record....

i traveled on that one, it was a bit scary i have to say,

Hi Sagart

trying to plan our trip in July but want to find a campsite near ferry at Armadale - any suggestions please?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back