Fan wiring 240v

Hi
A bit off topic but can someone help?
I am trying to install a fan in a bathroom connecting directly to the ceiling rose so that the light and fan operate together.
The fan has Live, Neutral and switched live.
I have connected the live and neutral wires but the fan does not operate.
I am wondering whether I need to join another cable to the live wire and connect to the switched terminal?
Otherwise the fan is faulty.
I would really appreciate a technical response.
Thanks
Alshymer
I'll probably be trolled for saying so but if you have to ask the question you shouldn't be doing the job.

Colin could well be right if any of the circuit is close to shower or bath.

It will be safe as long as out of reach, lighting will be fused or a trip at 5amps at the mainboard.

If you are in England then I think this work will be notifiable under part P of the building regulations. In any case I would get your Inspection engineer to cast his eye over the work you have done on your next periodic wiring inspection.

If you are in England then I think this work will be notifiable under part P of the building regulations. In any case I would get your Inspection engineer to cast his eye over the work you have done on your next periodic wiring inspection.
I like the concept of "your next periodic wiring inspection" :)

Would this be in Narnia? or some other imaginary place?

I like the concept of "your next periodic wiring inspection" :)

Would this be in Narnia? or some other imaginary place?
It is a requirement of the wiring regulations to have domestic property inspected every 10 years (5 years if rented) . Insurance companies are increasingly asking for this to be carried out at renewal.

Are you sure that's not just a recommendation?
Are you sure that's not just a recommendation?
The firm I used to work for in England before I retired did a lot of these periodic inspections on domestic property every year, though to be fair a lot of them were prompted by Surveyors picking up on the lack of wiring certification/relevant part P building regulations compliance at the point where the property was being marketed. Lack of certification at this stage often led to delay whilst an inspection was done or a reduced sale price.

Be useful to see the regulation that states a building must be inspected every 10 years (and not caveated by because it is rented or is for sale - what about houses that are occupied by the owners and not up for sale?)

So from June this year landlords have to do it every 5 years and individuals should every 10 - but that doesn't seem to be a legal requirement.

My son sold his house this year and was asked for the date of the last inspection by purchasers - which wasn't very recent.
He had one done which did reveal an earthing problem from a dodgy lighting alteration (ring any bells?) so he had to get that fixed and then got a new 'certificate'.
This actually involved some extra work because the testing electrician insisted on using latest Regs rather than certifying safe to Regs at time of installation.
He had to get a couple of RCBOs to upgrade some circuits which was an Ebay job to match the 20 yr old consumer unit.

So as suggested they will become more common being driven by ownership changes and it will pay to check whether the electrician will certify to appropriate Regs.

I've still got wire fuses in my board - so that'll be a fun discussion when our kids sell the place!

Many years ago my father was asked for a certificate on his house by his insurance company after he completely rewired it. He got the local undertaker (second job!) to check it over and sign it off.
It'll be interesting to see what insurance companies do in the future.

Last edited:
The key word being "should" I guess? It is good to have clarity over the difference between recommendations and requirements.

BTW, for anyone in Scotland, there has been a change in regulations regarding Smoke Alarms and there is a requirement to fit interlinked Smoke Alarms from potentially Feb 2021 (got a note about that in the post from gov.scot)

Wifes parents got a wired smoke alarm sys and a fan vent fitted to bathroom free, first thing they did was duck tape the fan and get the smoke alarms master switch turned of, frys and toast set it of, also her dad having a sneaky puff in the bathroom also did, he is not ment to be doing so after a hart attack. :(

Be useful to see the regulation that states a building must be inspected every 10 years (and not caveated by because it is rented or is for sale - what about houses that are occupied by the owners and not up for sale?)
It is in Appendix 6 of BS7671 and applies to all domestic property!

So from June this year landlords have to do it every 5 years and individuals should every 10 - but that doesn't seem to be a legal requirement.

My son sold his house this year and was asked for the date of the last inspection by purchasers - which wasn't very recent.
He had one done which did reveal an earthing problem from a dodgy lighting alteration (ring any bells?) so he had to get that fixed and then got a new 'certificate'.
This actually involved some extra work because the testing electrician insisted on using latest Regs rather than certifying safe to Regs at time of installation.
He had to get a couple of RCBOs to upgrade some circuits which was an Ebay job to match the 20 yr old consumer unit.

So as suggested they will become more common being driven by ownership changes and it will pay to check whether the electrician will certify to appropriate Regs.

I've still got wire fuses in my board - so that'll be a fun discussion when our kids sell the place!

Many years ago my father was asked for a certificate on his house by his insurance company after he completely rewired it. He got the local undertaker (second job!) to check it over and sign it off.
It'll be interesting to see what insurance companies do in the future.
Inspection is always done to the latest edition of the Regs, then the deviations are categorized in order of their seriousness. Some deviations which are not of a hazardous nature do not have to be rectified to get a 'Satisfactory' certificate.

The key word being "should" I guess? It is good to have clarity over the difference between recommendations and requirements.

BTW, for anyone in Scotland, there has been a change in regulations regarding Smoke Alarms and there is a requirement to fit interlinked Smoke Alarms from potentially Feb 2021 (got a note about that in the post from gov.scot)
I believe it has been delayed for 1 year owing to Covid

I believe it has been delayed for 1 year owing to Covid
Think it is just a request which has not been confirmed yet (hence the 'potentially' in my post)

(as it happens, I've got that type and just replaced them all a couple of months ago - and the new ones have rechargable Lithium Batteries so no stupid battery beeping every 4 months at random on random alarms)

Not wanting to spend the money on my own personal copy of the BS I googled it and found this comment on IET website and lo and behold they make it quite clear that these are merely recommendations.

Screenshot_20201214-120149_Samsung capture.jpg

We know that rental properties were formalised in June thus year in England & Wales (2015 Scotland)
Businesses of course had been following the recommendations for some time as their duties of care under several Acts and Regulations.

I'm going to take a chance and suggest a degree of enthusiasm for periodic domestic inspections as a natural instinct of those who might now or in the past have a financial incentive 😀

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back