External speaker for laptop when in the MH

Tidy

How much more oomph do these things pack than the standard speakers, roughly...say, in % terms?

I realise its not an exact science as all the laptops would be different but some idea would be good.
Oh a fair bit. More than enough for a lounge in any motorhome. We dont have ours on full volume. Maybe choose something 3-5w. Should be ample.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
JBL Flip are very good if a little expensive but if you get an older model, Flip 4 for example, you may be able to save a few bob. USB charge and a good battery life. Our son is a professional sound engineer and uses these both at work and at home.

Cheers.

H

• Thank You
I've gone for a different kind of route which could be interesting ....
I use a an Amazon Echo Dot, which I use for streaming Music, listening to Audio Books, etc, via internet, but you can also connect another device such as a laptop via Bluetooth. I find the sound quality remarkably good considering the small size.
Mounted on a holder under the top cupboard run.
IMG_20210704_190936_6.jpg

Bit of a dual-purpose option there maybe :)

Oh a fair bit. More than enough for a lounge in any motorhome. We dont have ours on full volume. Maybe choose something 3-5w. Should be ample.

Thanks for that. 3-5 doesn't sound a lot but in a small space with us sat fairly close as you say, ample

I use a an Amazon Echo Dot, which I use for streaming Music, listening to Audio Books, etc, via internet, but you can also connect another device such as a laptop via Bluetooth. I find the sound quality remarkably good considering the small size.
View attachment 106906
just noticed ours has "Google assistant" does that work like the Amazon dot? Bit embarrassing not to know....had it two years!

Thanks for that. 3-5 doesn't sound a lot but in a small space with us sat fairly close as you say, ample

It is. No batteries, wifi or bluetooth to worry about. Just plug them in old school and they work and cost next to nothing.

• Thank You
I have one of these which I find great considering the size. there are dozens on the market now, just read the reviews and pick your budget and size.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GTBRSCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thank You
No HDMI on my Avtex in the front of the MH despite it only being a 2017 model MH. I expected it to have one, but no.
I have an Avtex in my shed which doesn't have HDMI but it does have a component input, I bought one of these adapters so that I could use a firestick on it

LG rechargeable Bluetooth speakers from Currys. Different sizes and prices, they have bass/sound boost.
Can also be used in conjunction with mobile phone or satnav. Can be connected via cable or Bluetooth ideal for smaller flatscreen TV’s with tinny speakers.

• Thank You
View attachment 106906

Same here, have two in stereo mode - sounds amazing.

Anker Soundcore 2 Bluetooth speaker £39.99 on Amazon.

12w power. Usb rechargeable lasts for up to 24 hours on a charge depending on volume. Has a decent bass.

We use it in the MH when travelling as my phone won’t link media to the radio. Also use on the beach when we are unlikely to disturb others as it is waterproof and sand proof with volume turned up and also when we have garden gatherings.

Also use it when cycling around local French resorts to annoy the French with Quo, the Stranglers, Queen, the Stones, the Who etc.

The case which is well worth having is an extra cost though at around £12 but it keeps leads and speaker together and you have no worries when chucking it in your back pack.

Basically it is bomb proof and perfect for outdoor use unlike some of the fragile cheaper offerings you might be considering. Long term you won’t regret it.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Same here, have two in stereo mode - sounds amazing.
Yup. And two together with a Firestick ... "Home Cinema" :D

There is one totally silly downside to doing the Stereo or Home Cinema setup but .... can't use Audible any more. Very annoying :(

Reactions: DnK
I use Bose Soundlink Mini 2 Bluetooth speakers. I bought two of them secondhand on eBay. They don't hold value well, like most consumer electronics, and can be picked up quite cheaply.

They can also be connected using a 3.5mm jack.

Excellent sound quality, including using Bluetooth. Recent implementations are very good quality.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back