Exterior gas connection not working

V1nny

We are currently in Spain and it is VERY hot so the last thing we want to do is cook inside. The exterior barbecue point stopped working tonight which means I can’t use the Cadac bbq for cooking.

I tried changing over to a full bottle of gas but that made no difference. I connected the regulator and hose to the van without connecting to the bbq but no gas is coming through. I’m guessing I might need a new regulator but I don’t know how I can check it The one I’m using has only been used about a dozen times from new.

I would just connect directly to the gas bottle but the regulator and hose I need for that are back home in Scotland! I won’t make that mistake again.

Could it be anything other than the regulator that connects to the gas point on the side of the van? Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Vinny

We are currently in Spain and it is VERY hot so the last thing we want to do is cook inside. The exterior barbecue point stopped working tonight which means I can’t use the Cadac bbq for cooking.

I tried changing over to a full bottle of gas but that made no difference. I connected the regulator and hose to the van without connecting to the bbq but no gas is coming through. I’m guessing I might need a new regulator but I don’t know how I can check it The one I’m using has only been used about a dozen times from new.

I would just connect directly to the gas bottle but the regulator and hose I need for that are back home in Scotland! I won’t make that mistake again.

Could it be anything other than the regulator that connects to the gas point on the side of the van? Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Vinny
Do you have a crash sensor which needs reset.
I sometimes have to reset mine by pushing in the blue button.
To test the regulator attach it to the input with the output connection disconnected.
Turn on the cylinder and see if gas comes from the regulator.
Obviously if it does quickly turn the gas of.

sounds like the regulator ,if so ,a cheap fix , whatever , it needs eliminating

I d
Do you have a crash sensor which needs reset.
I sometimes have to reset mine by pushing in the blue button.
To test the regulator attach it to the input with the output connection disconnected.
Turn on the cylinder and see if gas comes from the regulator.
Obviously if it does quickly turn the gas of.
I don’t have a crash sensor.

And I connected the regulator to the output connection bur no gas was coming though.

I am assuming the regulator is faulty, but now I’m also wondering if the external bbq point on the van could be faulty? Is that a possibility too?

I d

I don’t have a crash sensor.

And I connected the regulator to the output connection bur no gas was coming though.

I am assuming the regulator is faulty, but now I’m also wondering if the external bbq point on the van could be faulty? Is that a possibility too?
No it’s your regulator then.
Make sure you get one with the same pipe size most are 10mm but some vans have the smaller 8mm pipe. If you can get one of the Truma or Gok regulars they are very reliable and cost around £40-50
I would consider fitting a filter also when you get home.
When using refillable gas cylinders in particular they are recommended.

Last edited:
This is what I’m having trouble with. It’s the external bbq connection.

I have a standard gas set up in the van. I have a gas locker that holds 2 x13kg Calor bottles with a pigtail to connect one at a time. This gas supplies my hob and boiler, and the external gas bbq point. Everything was working fine until last night when the external bbq IMG_4465.jpegIMG_4464.jpegIMG_4463.jpeg point stopped working. Everything else is ok.

Attachments

• IMG_4463.jpeg
    IMG_4463.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4464.jpeg
    IMG_4464.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4465.jpeg
    IMG_4465.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 17

Thanks
Vinny
Somewhat off piste, but our emergency backup single burner which runs from an aerosol type of gas cannister stopped working even with a new cannister. I guessed a gunked up regulator so much tapping with the burner tap open freed it in a couple of minutes.

The femaile bbq connection is basically a ball valve, sounds like the ball is stuck in the closed position preventing gas flow, especially as the other appliances are working.

Sorry but I thought nothing was working from gas, but if everything else is working it’s not your regulator.
The fault has to be in the bbq connection.
I would leave it until you get home.
It seems as Val says the ball valve is jammed in the closed position.
If you attempt a DIY repair you could make matters worse by leaving it in the open position, this could mean having to shut of the gas manifold leaving you with no gas appliances connected to that tap.

Or head of to a Spanish workshop and get if fixed there, I don't think it will cost to much just to replace the connector.

Last edited:
When the regulator went on mine it still allowed a low flow of gas, so fridge was Ok but water heater not. Picked, one up locally in France no problem. They do often fail.

The femaile bbq connection is basically a ball valve, sounds like the ball is stuck in the closed position preventing gas flow, especially as the other appliances are working.
That makes sense

Sorry but I thought nothing was working from gas, but if everything else is working it’s not your regulator.
The fault has to be in the bbq connection.
I would leave it until you get home.
It seems as Val says the ball valve is jammed in the closed position.
If you attempt a DIY repair you could make matters worse by leaving it in the open position, this could mean having to shut of the gas manifold leaving you with no gas appliances connected to that tap.

Or head of to a Spanish workshop and get if fixed there, I don't think it will cost to much just to replace the connector.
That’s very good advice, especially for someone as ham fisted at DIY as me. The last think I want is to kill the gas!

I have to go to Murcia next week to collect a replacement door for my freezer compartment so I will ask about it there.

I think I might have confused matters when I referred to the regulator when I meant the male connection to the exterior bbq point.

Thanks
I agree, I reckon Val is correct.
Hope you get this sorted and enjoy your trip
Thanks to you and all the others for your advice.

The main reason I want it sorted is to avoid cooking inside because it is so hot over here.

I know it seems obvious now, but we are learning the hard way why so many people avoid the height of summer in Spain. We have Endless Breeze fans I bought from America a few years ago, but on our worst night the overnight temperature never got below 90 degrees and 80% humidity.

Thanks

The main reason I want it sorted is to avoid cooking inside because it is so hot over here.

I know it seems obvious now, but we are learning the hard way why so many people avoid the height of summer in Spain. We have Endless Breeze fans I bought from America a few years ago, but on our worst night the overnight temperature never got below 90 degrees and 80% humidity.
Sounds awful, I always book hotels with air con when going to warmer countries, I don’t cope to well with heat.

If you don’t mind me saying I was surprised to see you did not know were your gas manifold is. I would locate it, along with your 12v and mains fuse boxes.
You never know when you may need to shut one of, replace fuses, or reset a mains switch. I carry all different types of fuses for both the habitation side and the vehicle side. I also carry tools just in case. And I have had to use these things. Must be the Boy Scout within me, always be prepared. :)

Thanks

Whereabouts in Spain are you , not too bad ,under 30 in far North West ?

Back