Expenses whilst full timing

Yes we did look at this possibility before deciding what to do . I think I found that if they are not Schengen countries you need a visa and that will be limited to 90 days anyway . So it will probably be possible but a bit of extra work plus mileage and what happens to the timescales if there are unavoidable delays?. Might be wrong so happy to be corrected ? Whilst weather probably better than Britain ,decided we would plump for sunny spain
Perhaps for me , who hates dark winters it would be worth getting a 90 day visa for half the winter say just north of Greece and then 90 days in Greece or Italy or Spain then a return to the uk for say 4 months.
The travel may be more than Spain for the winter, the Uk for the longer half of the year, but less travel than Morocco or Turkey
I just looked it up you do not need a visa for Northern Macedonia, used as an example, unless you stay longer than 90 days. You do need to register with the police within 24 hour of arrival. I do not know if that restricts touring. I should have looked up Albania as that being coastal may be warmer.

Last edited:
Thank you for your experience. I suggested all the close non schengen countries . I was hoping to find experience of the best? I would have thought that being close to the Adriatic coast and as far south as northern macedonia might give you a near Greek winter climate? That is a bit further away than The Croatian coast but still after 3 months you could follow the coast up and cross Italy and follow the med down to the preferred Spain before a return to the Uk? We have been to Provence in November/December so I would think the road to Spain would be mostly possible . I do not have much experience so would be interested in what can go wrong.
I have cycle wild camped in Croatia. At the time it seemed like a cheap Italy, but I think it was May it was not any part of october to march.
If snow did catch you out maybe there is a ferry from Northern macedonia or Greece to Italy that runs throughout the year? It would seem to be worth a bit of expense to have a winter alternative to The Uk for the first part of winter, the 2nd being spent in southern Italy or Spain, then back to the Uk as it starts getting lighter? I really dislike short winter days.
We have tried North Africa but my wife did not like it despite being sedately dressed and hair covered she was hassled too much by men.

It all depends on what you want from your trip but the winters in mainland Greece and Turkey are not warm. It can regularly snow in Athens. Over the past 3 or 4 years, I have done a lot of research into what might replace our extended winters in southern Spain and have come to the conclusion that, for us, the only possibilities to extend the 90 days you can spend in Schengen are to either spend part of the winter in Morocco (which we have done on a couple of occasions and enjoyed) or to bring the motorhome back to the UK after 3 months and then fly out to somewhere warm and cheap - eg Egypt or Thailand - for the rest of the winter. The problem is that in all the non-Schengen European countries you have mentioned, the weather can be as cold or colder than the UK from October through to March, so you could end up shivering for the 3 months that you have to be out of Schengen. Some people wouldn't mind that at all but if you do then the options are limited.

I have been to Cyprus mid winter. It snowed there too inland at altitude but it was warm enough. The main thing for me was it was bright and long daylight. I aģree all winter in Spain Portugal is better, but out of reach due to Brexit.

I have been to Cyprus mid winter. It snowed there too inland at altitude but it was warm enough. The main thing for me was it was bright and long daylight. I aģree all winter in Spain Portugal is better, but out of reach due to Brexit.
Indeed as you post it is all 3
The long dark nights
The cold
The rain
Spain & Portugal yes BUT not anymore
Except that just dong the maximun 3 months is better than nothing !
An extra month in Morocco thus giving 4 months would help..But not in 2020/21

Thailand is warm & cheap but at the moment No non-Thais allowed in and no Flights !

Cyprus, further south than mainland Greece, isn't yet in Schengen but formally started the process to join last year so, presumably, it won't be long before it is. There is no getting away from it - if you want more than 90 days winter sun in post-Brexit Britain you will have to think beyond Europe.

Indeed as you post it is all 3
The long dark nights
The cold
The rain
Spain & Portugal yes BUT not anymore
Except that just dong the maximun 3 months is better than nothing !
An extra month in Morocco thus giving 4 months would help..But not in 2020/21

Thailand is warm & cheap but at the moment No non-Thais allowed in and no Flights !

True - I think we can take it as read that we are talking about some future post-virus world. This winter, it is looking more and more likely that we will just have to freeze. :)

Cyprus, further south than mainland Greece, isn't yet in Schengen but formally started the process to join last year so, presumably, it won't be long before it is. There is no getting away from it - if you want more than 90 days winter sun in post-Brexit Britain you will have to think beyond Europe.
Or residancy ?

Or residancy ?

True but it is not simple. First you have to acquire an address, the process is time consuming and there could be many financial and other implications. I'm not saying that it is impossible but that anyone considering it should investigate it very carefully. Some friends have decided it is right for them and have done it; we have looked into it and decided against it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back