Exmoor wild camping

Daniel

Free Member
Hi all. I just posted about wild camping in Dartmoor then realised where we’re going is actually closer to e moor than Dartmoor 🤦‍♂️ so the same question but in exmoor.
Can anyone recommend a nice wooded spot to wild camp on the southern or eastern side of exmoor please? Thanks.

Hi Daniel.

The folks here are normally friendly and helpful, but it does sort of help things along if you maybe introduce yourself first? We're kinda old-fashioned that way. ;)

Also, wildcamping spots aren't necessarily shared up front on a public forum like ours (where full membership gives access to all areas of the site), and there is a reluctance to share any recommendations with new 'free' members (for fairly obvious reasons). Even more so recently as the concept of "wildcamping" in a moho/camper in the UK has come under increased pressure around the UK since the pandemic (and other travel limiting events).

Just in case you were wondering why no one has responded to any of your posts/questions to date (y) 🙏

Hi Daniel,

Hope your Auto Sleeper is all you wanted it to be.

Somewhere on here is a thread about someone being put out when he went to spot he always had to himself only to find it full of vans.

He didn’t want to be spending a night in what used to be a quite place which had become over used and in his opinion would therefore end up with “stay away” signs and a height barrier, it’s a sad fact that the number of Motorhomes / van conversions gas exploded in recent years and this has lead to over crowding in many places.

This website has a members only access area that gives you access to a resource that helps you find the sort of place your looking for, but the members on here have not only built that resource up over time they have also paid for access to that resource, and feel quite rightly that allowing such a resource into the public domain would I’ll effect the membership’s enjoyment when wild camping.

Finding a spot that suits your needs is only a few clicks away for full members and more than that people will help you with anything else Motorhome related.

Just be aware there’s a Ginger, Northern Lass needs a wide birth mate 😉

Hi Daniel,

Hope your Auto Sleeper is all you wanted it to be.

Somewhere on here is a thread about someone being put out when he went to spot he always had to himself only to find it full of vans.

He didn’t want to be spending a night in what used to be a quite place which had become over used and in his opinion would therefore end up with “stay away” signs and a height barrier, it’s a sad fact that the number of Motorhomes / van conversions gas exploded in recent years and this has lead to over crowding in many places.

This website has a members only access area that gives you access to a resource that helps you find the sort of place your looking for, but the members on here have not only built that resource up over time they have also paid for access to that resource, and feel quite rightly that allowing such a resource into the public domain would I’ll effect the membership’s enjoyment when wild camping.

Finding a spot that suits your needs is only a few clicks away for full members and more than that people will help you with anything else Motorhome related.

Just be aware there’s a Ginger, Northern Lass needs a wide birth mate 😉

Ginger? GINGER?!!! How very dare you! 😳 😜 🤣

So I’m not always as diplomatic as I could be, but I’ve definitely never been described as ginger 😎

Hi all. I just posted about wild camping in Dartmoor then realised where we’re going is actually closer to e moor than Dartmoor 🤦‍♂️ so the same question but in exmoor.
Can anyone recommend a nice wooded spot to wild camp on the southern or eastern side of exmoor please? Thanks.
Hi, we live on exmoor. Wild camping does happen, obviously, but its frowned upon. The park rangers tour the area in the evenings (its part of their normal routine checking the ponies, sheep etc) and if they find anyone parked up they will knock loudly and move you on. There are slso some grumpy farmers, which if out and about at night, arent so polite in getying you to move. There are some fantastic spots all over, but you take your chance!

"Somewhere on here is a thread about someone being put out when he went to spot he always had to himself only to find it full of vans"

I omitted to say, in that post, that the trip that was spoilt by over occupancy was supposed to be a rather special trip being a replacement for a 55th (emerald) wedding anniversary celebration a month ealier, that went wrong. That one went wrong too as a bus broke down and an hour in a draughty bus shelter for the next one causing us to miss our meal and a supposed lovely paddle steamer on the Dart which turned out to be a smelly deisel screw boat, I could go on.

Looks ginger in the picture, Marie but I don't doubt you are lovely really, not that there is much wrong with ginger.

"Somewhere on here is a thread about someone being put out when he went to spot he always had to himself only to find it full of vans"

I omitted to say, in that post, that the trip that was spoilt by over occupancy was supposed to be a rather special trip being a replacement for a 55th (emerald) wedding anniversary celebration a month ealier, that went wrong. That one went wrong too as a bus broke down and an hour in a draughty bus shelter for the next one causing us to miss our meal and a supposed lovely paddle steamer on the Dart which turned out to be a smelly deisel screw boat, I could go on.

Looks ginger in the picture, Marie but I don't doubt you are lovely really, not that there is much wrong with ginger.

Sorry you had a rotten anniversary for you and your wife, hope you've managed to make up for it since the event(s) 😢 (y)

I wish I had been a ginger, actually, I quite like red hair - the proper "ginger" sort that is, not the cherry red of modern artificial hair dyes! :oops:😂

Brownie was a ginger, and his ginger sister was a Brownie.

Not a lot of people know that.

Looks strawberry blonde to me!

People often make mistakes like that with me Ruth. Can you believe it that in a certain light they can mistake my Platinum Blonde hair for Grey or Even White??

(I think they call that 'certain light' daylight but I find it highly offensive - and yes, I'm looking in your direction Ral!)

People often make mistakes like that with me Ruth. Can you believe it that in a certain light they can mistake my Platinum Blonde hair for Grey or Even White??

(I think they call that 'certain light' daylight but I find it highly offensive - and yes, I'm looking in your direction Ral!)
Looks chestnut brown with a black snout to me Rob

Now look yer, this yer wildcampin' baint allowing anywer on exmur be it, tidn allowed zee

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back