european budget??

In 1962 I flew my car over to France by Silver City Aireways.
We flew from Lydd to Le Touquet & if I remember correctly that cost in the region of £25!.

dog passport

See your based in Brittany David. Spent quite a bit of time in Argenton. Its a fab location and I'm hoping now that I have a camper van to be able to spend greater lengths of time out there in the future. We do have a dog which I'm uncertain as to what needs to be done to get him a passport. I was going to start a thread along these lines but I'll do a few searches first to see if this info has already been covered.

Its no big deal taking your dog,It needs to be microchipped and have an up todate Rabies jab.On return you need to visit a vet and dog requires a worm and flea/tick treatment no less than24 hours before you intend to cross back into England and no more than 7 days,and that is all there is to it. We are taking 4 dogs down in feb to the Algarve its the only holiday to have. Your vet will explain it all but do go in plenty of time as the rabies jab has to have a booster before it is legal.

Mrs D keeps fanatically detailed budget and expenditure records about all our trips (she was, still is kind of an accountant).

Right down to how many litres of gas we use, money spent on sight seeing, food, fuel for both the van and bike, detailed mileage etc. All on an Excel spreadsheet year in year out. Im going to ask her to work out the figures for our last Euro trip in 2015 and then see how it would stack up cost wise now. I think it was four months and cost around £3000 (not sure). Off the top of my head looking at the huge drop in the exchange rate and the fact that diesel seems to have gone up in France i bet you can add £1000 to a similar trip now. :(

The other expenditure to take into consideration on a long trip of course is if you run a home back in the UK its still costing you money. Our house I think with council tax an other stuff sucks up around £500-600 a month empty. So if a six month trip like we did in 2012 costs you say £6000 the real expenditure for that trip is over £9000.

Likewise

Mrs D keeps fanatically detailed budget and expenditure records about all our trips (she was, still is kind of an accountant).

Right down to how many litres of gas we use, money spent on sight seeing, food, fuel for both the van and bike, detailed mileage etc. All on an Excel spreadsheet year in year out. Im going to ask her to work out the figures for our last Euro trip in 2015 and then see how it would stack up cost wise now. I think it was four months and cost around £3000 (not sure). Off the top of my head looking at the huge drop in the exchange rate and the fact that diesel seems to have gone up in France i bet you can add £1000 to a similar trip now. :(

The other expenditure to take into consideration on a long trip of course is if you run a home back in the UK its still costing you money. Our house I think with council tax an other stuff sucks up around £500-600 a month empty. So if a six month trip like we did in 2012 costs you say £6000 the real expenditure for that trip is over £9000.

Yep,
I am a Mathematician with significant Excel Skills having worked in ICT from aged 41 to 62
Thus I do likewise...... some would say all very sad ........but not us !
Does not stop us spending but we know what it is spent on !

I dunno David but its not just council tax, water rates, a bit of electric, BT Bills. etc. Mrs D could tell you, I dont get involved but she reckoned it was about that figure.

Budget

Yiu could of course, if you were an accountant, add maintenance, insurances, road tax, depreciation of your motorhome and assuming your motorhome is not your only vehicle, your other vehicle is still costing those things standing at home.
I assume wildcamping in a motorhome would still be a bargain, if you do it enough.

Yiu could of course, if you were an accountant, add maintenance, insurances, road tax, depreciation of your motorhome and assuming your motorhome is not your only vehicle, your other vehicle is still costing those things standing at home.
I assume wildcamping in a motorhome would still be a bargain, if you do it enough.

Yep, if you add up the full cost of motorhoming long term it would make you cry. :D

Its a good point about your other vehicle(s). I only figured this out recently but now that its so easy to sorn a car if your away for a few months its worth doing. Ive always left mine taxed but had I sorned it each time over the years it would have amounted to several hundred pounds saved.

not really paying to sort my car at the moment only £40 a year but it's diesel so if some of the threatened measures are bought in may have to look into it,

Ww are exceptionally lucky at the moment as my son, daughter in law and his son are living with us and pay for the full costs of the house when we are away. They also use and pay for the car so it actually costs us nowt to go. When we are home we split the costs. Previous to this we just saved on heating electric and water (metered) but it still worked out a good saving towards the cost of travel.

Depends where and what you drink. Best thing to to do in a French bar is firstly find one off the tourist trail, sit at the bar rather than some far flung table outside with waiter service and just order a litre carafe of house white or red which will almost certainly be spot on. Will probably be less than ten euros. When you think a large glass of wine here is about six or seven quid and a pint about four quid its suddenly not that expensive.

Drinking beer in bars in France as Wint says if you drink like a boozy Brit downing ten pints can be pricey. Wines the way to go.

If you turf up at a beach or harbour side bar in St Tropez though expect to be ripped off.

Sorry barry there is , disgracefully , some awful wine served in bars in France . Doesn't , generally , happen in good wine areas but does occasionally . Fortunately this doesn't happen too often , just very disappointing when it does .

AntiqueSam...you ought to know better...

Than to dispute anything "Uncle David" posts !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back