European breakdown cover

yorkieowl

Hi, does anybody know where I can get European breakdown cover for a Merc Sprinter luton van, the height is 3.3metres, have tried AA, RAC, ADAC, Green flag, but they only do policies upto 3metres.:rolleyes2::sad:

Hi, does anybody know where I can get European breakdown cover for a Merc Sprinter luton van, the height is 3.3metres, have tried AA, RAC, ADAC, Green flag, but they only do policies upto 3metres.:rolleyes2::sad:

Try checking any credit/debit cards you have. Mine carries automatic European breakdown cover up to 3.5 tonnes on any vehicle (Nat West Black Account).

I have a Hymer S700 which is 3.22m high and 4.66 tonnes and it has European breakdown cover with ADAC. Because my vehicle is now over 15 years old, none of the UK companies would give me European Breakdown cover, but ADAC had no problems with the age.

According to ADAC, in the UK cover is supplied by the AA on behalf of ADAC, even though the AA would not cover me directly.

I have a 2004 30' 7.5 tonne RV - it has EU breakdown cover with RAC via caravan and camping club. Not cheap though - I think £<200.

The problems are:

1. Commercial vehicle, (Mercedes sprinter luton van 311, weight and width and age ok). Not ours.
2. Over the height in the terms and conditions, - I would advise you all to check your dimensions in the small print as they may refuse to recover your vehicle if outside their limits. They wont check with you when you order/take the policy out, it's up to you to check it's suitable.

Have tried:
Green flag, ADAC, RAC, AA, and a couple of smaller companies. Also rang our Bank as Robmac suggested, AA cover, but again only for vehicles under 3 metres high, and non commercial.

Will ring the owner and see if he can get commercial cover, but dreading what the cost will be.

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions, keep them coming!

European Breakdown Cover

Hi
I had the same problem trying to get cover for France this year for my CI Riviera which is also 3.3m high. In the end I went with Brittannia Rescue.
£130 for full cover including European however if you or any of your family are currently/past civil servants its worth joining the CSMA for about £18 per year then the cover is only £73.50 which is an absolute bargain. They have discounts with other organisations as well - check the website.

Brittania Customer service were very good and they have a good reputaion.
Cheers
John

Hi John,
Just looked at the policy wording (below), for Britannia, again it states for vehicles up to 3 metres, Do you have it in writing from them that it covers the extra height? You might get away with it, as its a motorhome.

Section B – Vehicles
• Vehicles should not be more than 7.0 metres in length, 2.3 metres wide, 3 metres
in height, or a weight when fully loaded not exceeding 3.5 tonnes. If appropriate
you must always carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or a manufacturer
supplied or approved emergency tyre inflation kit or equipment and keys for any tyre
security devices
• Motorhomes – must not be more than 8 metres in length or a weight when fully loaded
not exceeding 7.5 tonnes and must be a recognised make and model which has been
coach–built for that precise purpose.

It does not give height dimensions for MH's. The ordinary vehicles are so they can get them on transporters so they can get them home again if need be.

Brittania Breakdown - Height restriction

Hi
Sorry for the delay in replying - hope it's not too late.

I queried the hieght restriction with Brittannia who referred the underwriters who had no problem in covering the motorhome at 3.3 metres. Suggest you speak to Brittania customer services who are extremely hepful.
Good luck
John

Hi John
Thanks for the reply, in France now, only just got Internet, we ended up setting off without it, with the van owners permission, when we checked the insurance it looks like its covered in Europe anyway. Done 900+ miles in 2 days, hopefully the journey home will be uneventful too. We used myferrylink.com, excellent service, arrived 5 minutes before the sailing time due to crash on M20, thought they'd make us get the next sailing but they rushed us straight on.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back