EU roaming

Canalsman

I know this is a topic discussed previously but during further research today I have happened upon this provider:

They piggy back on the EE network and there are no data usage restrictions when roaming in the EU. You can use your full pay monthly allowance just as you would in the UK.

To quote from their website:

Roaming in the EU.

We do not cap the data usage. If you have 1GB,3GB,10GB,30GB or 100GB you can use all of this allowance in the EU.

Roaming duration of up to 6 months at a time.*

Their asterisk says to contact them for further details. I have emailed for clarification.

They have confirmed that their SIMs can be used in mifi devices.

I intend swapping to them from 3 with whom I have become most disenchanted. Their 4g network is now desperately slow in many locations even when the signal strength is good. It appears to be a lack of bandwidth. I suspect they are investing so heavily in 5g that the remaining infrastructure is now under resourced.

I know this is a topic discussed previously but during further research today I have happened upon this provider:

They piggy back on the EE network and there are no data usage restrictions when roaming in the EU. You can use your full pay monthly allowance just as you would in the UK.

Roaming in the EU.

We do not cap the data usage. If you have 1GB,3GB,10GB,30GB or 100GB you can use all of this allowance in the EU.

Their asterisk says to contact them for further details. I have emailed for clarification.

I intend swapping to them from 3 with whom I have become most disenchanted. Their 4g network is now desperately slow in many locations even when the signal strength is good. It appears to be a lack of bandwidth. I suspect they are investing so heavily in 5g that the remaining infrastructure is now under resourced.
I'll be giving them ago next month, as addition to my Phone o2 Sim, in my Mifi router. I know where I'm going the signal isn't too good on the carrier o2 use in that village in France.
I think I'm right in saying different Uk SIMs roam on to different roaming network but the network they roam on to varies with who they have a deal with 🤔.

I’m waiting until late Feb 23 when my 3 deal ends so I can get away from them. Very dissatisfied when they changed my account and cancelled roaming.

Just have a look at what Lebara have to offer they use Vodafone
Very poor on the EU roaming front. From their website:

Customers with an active prepaid package can use either 2, 5, 7 or 10 GB data in EU from their packages.

I'll be giving them ago next month, as addition to my Phone o2 Sim, in my Mifi router. I know where I'm going the signal isn't too good on the carrier o2 use in that village in France.
I think I'm right in saying different Uk SIMs roam on to different roaming network but the network they roam on to varies with who they have a deal with 🤔.
When roaming typically you will find more than partner in a given location.

It pays to search for mobile networks and see what's on offer for a location. The speed offered can differ widely between carriers.

I’m waiting until late Feb 23 when my 3 deal ends so I can get away from them. Very dissatisfied when they changed my account and cancelled roaming.
I'm desperate to get away from 3. Over the past few months I have had very poor download speeds on 4g at different locations. Sometimes despite good signal strength their network is unusable. I have a mifi on EE as a backup which is seeing increasing use.

I plan to change my phone to Popit (EE) and my mifi to Asda Mobile (Vodafone).

Asda Mobile have an offer at the moment with double the data allowance for the same monthly payment. This will continue as long as your monthly payment continues. Well worth a look.

Roaming in the EU.

Thanks we will be back in uk in April and off to Sweden and Norway for 3 months .
This looks a real possibility because of the almost no limit for said time.
Please continue to post on this .

I bought an Orange sim in Spain this year because the WiFi on the site was rubbish. €30 for 135gb had to use in a month.

Interesting! They are more expensive than Smarty who we are with, even when smarty is capped when roaming, we went away reducing our 3 number sims on smarty's (rolling 30 day, no contract) to 12gb for 8 pounds each, compared to popit at 10gb for 13 pounds. However Smarty claimed to cut us off after 2 months. We were away for 3 months and they did not, but a 6 month promise is worth money.
So my question is can you reduce your popit plan to zero without the sim being cancelled and restart whilst abroad?
I was imagining 2 months away with Smarty then reduce them to zero on hold and start Popit for the next 6 months away in say Romania.

Interesting! They are more expensive than Smarty who we are with, even when smarty is capped when roaming, we went away reducing our 3 number sims on smarty's (rolling 30 day, no contract) to 12gb for 8 pounds each, compared to popit at 10gb for 13 pounds. However Smarty claimed to cut us off after 2 months. We were away for 3 months and they did not, but a 6 month promise is worth money.
So my question is can you reduce your popit plan to zero without the sim being cancelled and restart whilst abroad?
I was imagining 2 months away with Smarty then reduce them to zero on hold and start Popit for the next 6 months away in say Romania.
I have read somewhere that you can reduce the contract to a nominal fee of around 50p per month to keep your number and then start up again after a dormant period.

I have read somewhere that you can reduce the contract to a nominal fee of around 50p per month to keep your number and then start up again after a dormant period.
Thats possible with GifGaf as long as you leave some paug money on the sim then you can buy a bag an use it just before you go

I think that they will lose a lot of customers over it. We used them in the US and the roaming was their main selling point.

I think that they will lose a lot of customers over it. We used them in the US and the roaming was their main selling point.
Yes, its not easy as the sim provider probably pays extra.
My pitch would be to offer 3 months (Don't mention Brexit..or the war) free (included) roaming in Europe and up the monthly fee slightly.
But as Manuel would say "I know nothing" about marketing etc !

Popit sounds good although I couldn't find any mention of picture charges. Very mixed and limited reviews of their customer service. We are still using Virgin sim only deals for the time being. Didn't incur any roaming charges last year despite heavy usage in France on phones and tethered iPad. Virgin do charge 50p per pic so we have to remember to be on wifi. Probably better deals to come but at the moment 75gb per month with unlimited text/calls for £14, price increase next April.

Popit sounds good although I couldn't find any mention of picture charges. Very mixed and limited reviews of their customer service. We are still using Virgin sim only deals for the time being. Didn't incur any roaming charges last year despite heavy usage in France on phones and tethered iPad. Virgin do charge 50p per pic so we have to remember to be on wifi. Probably better deals to come but at the moment 75gb per month with unlimited text/calls for £14, price increase next April.
If you were looking at the Trustpilot reviews they were few in number, 17 if I recall correctly, and some were glowing.

I asked a question via chat yesterday, Sunday, and made contact immediately and got an answer in seconds.

Today I received an email reply early this morning about my query on EU roaming duration. See my new post for details.

Couldn't ask for quicker or clearer responses.

Roaming in EU.

This is the response I received:

Hi Chris, we have a soft limit of 6 months roaming in the EU from the UK. But it is only soft.

Kind Regards

Sounds like they're pretty flexible ...

Roaming in EU.

This is the response I received:

Hi Chris, we have a soft limit of 6 months roaming in the EU from the UK. But it is only soft.

Kind Regards

Sounds like they're pretty flexible ...
That all sounds promising, I'll certainly have another look at them before we head off in 2023.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back