EU pet passports

Abbeywell vets in folkestone charge £99 .cheapest I've heard of.
Dog must have valid rabies jab.
They do it online and you just have the appointment a couple of hours before ferry or train.
We used our local vet who at the time charged £160 ish plus rabies jab ,plus 2x £35 consultations....:mad:

Vets in Brugge is closed until 6th March as she is off sick with a neck hernia. I had to look it up :unsure:

Jo001,
"EU Pet Passport", have I missed something here? I there a way around the AHC?
Not initially. You do need an AHC to get into the EU (although Ireland is different, but that's a long story).

Once you are in the EU you can go to a vet and get an EU Pet Passport. This is because the passport is only a record of rabies vaccination, it has nothing to do with nationality.

France is more difficult because the dog ”should” be registered on their chip database first and that requires a French address and a period of residency. But, as said earlier, a quick trip to Belgium gets round that issue.

Two important things.

The vet will enter the date they read your dog's microchip into the passport. The date of the rabies vaccine mustn't be before that date. Rabies is a dead vaccine so having a booster early shouldn't cause any problems. That takes three weeks to be fully effective, so if you are travelling back before 21 days, you would just use the AHC to come back.

The other thing is that only vets in the EU can make further entries in the passport. So future rabies boosters need to be done in the EU.

Not initially. You do need an AHC to get into the EU (although Ireland is different, but that's a long story).

Once you are in the EU you can go to a vet and get an EU Pet Passport. This is because the passport is only a record of rabies vaccination, it has nothing to do with nationality.

France is more difficult because the dog ”should” be registered on their chip database first and that requires a French address and a period of residency. But, as said earlier, a quick trip to Belgium gets round that issue.

Two important things.

The vet will enter the date they read your dog's microchip into the passport. The date of the rabies vaccine mustn't be before that date. Rabies is a dead vaccine so having a booster early shouldn't cause any problems. That takes three weeks to be fully effective, so if you are travelling back before 21 days, you would just use the AHC to come back.

The other thing is that only vets in the EU can make further entries in the passport. So future rabies boosters need to be done in the EU.

Just a bit confused about the date - I'll get my AHC after the rabies jab. Once in Eire I'll ask the vet for a pet passport but they won't have read the chip before the vaccination date - so presumably they'll have to administer another booster?
On the Ireland question, I understand I could get there without an EHC but would then encounter difficulties when presenting to the vet for my passport?

Once in Eire I'll ask the vet for a pet passport but they won't have read the chip before the vaccination date - so presumably they'll have to administer another booster?
If you had said Belgium, not Eire, I'd have saId yes you need another booster.

Sorry, I haven't read up about Ireland so I'm not confident in replying about how it works. And it might be a bit fluid anyway?

Last edited:
Just a bit confused about the date - I'll get my AHC after the rabies jab. Once in Eire I'll ask the vet for a pet passport but they won't have read the chip before the vaccination date - so presumably they'll have to administer another booster?
On the Ireland question, I understand I could get there without an EHC but would then encounter difficulties when presenting to the vet for my passport?
Yes, the vet in Eire will need to administer another rabies vaccination. I would advise asking for a three year vaccination.

As I observed above the only entry that can be made in an EU pet passport outside the EU is the administration of worming tablets.

Yes, the vet in Eire will need to administer another rabies vaccination. I would advise asking for a three year vaccination.

As I observed above the only entry that can be made in an EU pet passport outside the EU is the administration of worming tablets.
Thanks - I'm keeping an eye on the NI Protocol discussions which could change things. I'm keen on getting a passport in Eire as I don't want to end up with a NI one which then becomes as useless as our previous GB one. Another Brexit bonus ☹️

Just to wrap this up...

Jones had his passport stamped by a vet in France without question, other than a polite enquiry about having a Belgian passport.

Today we returned to the UK and the passport was accepted without query.

Job done!

I have been recommended 2 vets in Bruges, both of which you can park a motorhome nearby. One is the original one Canalsman mentioned and also this one.

Plus.....https://ahcdirect.co.uk/ AHC £125 for 2 dogs.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1683905756964.jpg
    FB_IMG_1683905756964.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 52

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back