ETIAS – European Travel Information And Authorisation System

Only those from qualifying countries can obtain an ETIAS. If not those from outside qualifying countries will require a Visa.
It will last for 3 years and costs 7 euros, but free if under 18 or 70 and over.
Have just read through the various pages on their web and although it states under 18's don't pay they still need the ETIAS - however - can't find the bit about over 70's not paying. Which section is it in? Cheers

Have just read through the various pages on their web and although it states under 18's don't pay they still need the ETIAS - however - can't find the bit about over 70's not paying. Which section is it in? Cheers
Section from ETIAS that states “WHO IS EXEMPT FROM ETIAS” :)

Who Is Exempt from ETIAS Fee?​

Everyone belonging to the following categories is exempt from the ETIAS payment requirement:

• Children under the age of 18 (minors) at the time of the application.
  • Individuals above the age of 70 at the time of the application.

Last edited:
Reading the blurb - it says you have to name the country you intend to arrive at when filling out the application. Nowhere does it indicate that this is only for the first visit? So does this mean you can only visit via the same route for each visit? I’m assuming not but we are dealing with EU red tape…..

Reading the blurb - it says you have to name the country you intend to arrive at when filling out the application. Nowhere does it indicate that this is only for the first visit? So does this mean you can only visit via the same route for each visit? I’m assuming not but we are dealing with EU red tape…..
Its only for the first visit, remember that this ETIAS applies to many other nations. It has nothing to do with red tape.
They are trying to discover what country most visitors from outside the EU arrive, to possibly improve better and larger facilities there to improve entry to the EU.
Obviously there will be a learning curve here, they are simply trying to ensure that they can improve things.

What p***ed me off more than anything was the Animal Health Certificate farce. I was watching Crufts and couldn't believe how many dogs had come from Europe, all on their Pet Passports. I contacted my local MP, Steve Brine about the unfairness of it all, and to be fair, he forwarded my complaint to Scott Mann who is the Under Secretary of State of DEFRA, who then replied with the disappointing but expected news that discussions with the European Commission are ongoing, but nothing has happened since 2020. In the meantime, we continue to pay up to £250 per pet for every trip to Europe. I wonder how the EU will penalise us next.

What p***ed me off more than anything was the Animal Health Certificate farce. I was watching Crufts and couldn't believe how many dogs had come from Europe, all on their Pet Passports. I contacted my local MP, Steve Brine about the unfairness of it all, and to be fair, he forwarded my complaint to Scott Mann who is the Under Secretary of State of DEFRA, who then replied with the disappointing but expected news that discussions with the European Commission are ongoing, but nothing has happened since 2020. In the meantime, we continue to pay up to £250 per pet for every trip to Europe. I wonder how the EU will penalise us next.
Unfortunately it was the UK getting things done with undue haste that caused this situation.

Woohoo! Dave will be exempt by the time we need one....what shall we spend the £7 on:sneaky::giggle: Probably the price of loaf of bread and pack of butter by then!

Perhaps you can explain without being political how the EU are punishing us. ;)If you stop membership of a golf club, would you expect to turn up next day for a round of golf. I am in Madeira right now paying £2 a day to use my phone. I didn’t vote to leave the club, but I’m not complaining, and I won’t be complaining to anyone.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back