Espacher efficiency

messenger 2.5td

Anyone got any ideas how to improve the efficiency of my espacher heater,the problem is there are two heater vents in the living area exit at eitherside of the seating which tends to blow the heat out at the wrong direction.
014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

Ideally the vents need to exit at the front of the seating to maximise the heat distribution,unfortunately the seating slides out to form the double bed base and there the problem
009-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

So how can i channel the heat through 2 wooden bulkheads without the need for trailing hoses which will impede the bed sliding out?Had acouple of suggestions from Geoff W and Jimminlizz,just exploring all possibilities before i start hacking and chopping:eek:Andy.

Hi Messenger,

When we got our first van fitted with an eberspacher I found it was not up to the job. Checking the inlets & outlets I discovered that due to the fixed air (health & safety holes) 20% more fresh air was coming in than heat going out.The sealed gas locker already had two vents under the bottles and the fridge ( the only thing on at night ) had its own external vent near the burner. so it was overkill. Excuse pun !!! So I covered up 80% of the
rest, sealed the small gap that was all around the fridge, fitted an extra outlet for the eberspacher and lived in warm comfort for the next ten years.
Dezi

I may have misunderstud but blocking vent holes is not a good idea, although seems you gortway with it!

Paul,

Generally speaking blocking vent holes is not a good idea --- Buuut there has to come a time when common sense takes over. With all the the safeguards already in place the ones I blocked were superfluous.

Dezi

Where's the heater mounted? Mine is mounted under the Mercedes and the piping can be routed pretty much anywhere that does not foul other items. The air intake is located in the footwell adjacent to the lower air vent in the door so draws fresh/recycled warm air.

My other thought is just to use a spring loaded hose - I've seen the type on a Dyson vacuum cleaner and a vacuum hose for woodworking machinery, so there must be an appropriate size available somewhere.

BTW closing off the lower vents actually has the opposite effect, cold air falls and is forced to exit by the hot layer of air above through the lower vents. If the upper vent is still open hot air will escape and draw in cold air from all the little holes. BUT I'd be loathe to close vents with gas powered appliances as its very easy to poison/gas yourself with a defective appliance and you will always forget to unblock it before putting the kettle on!

Try and engineer a solution rather than close off the safety vents is my two bobs worth.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back