Engine magement light

Not as sophisticated as the VW option :)

That's where the clever VW computers (ECU) came in.

MOT tester putting gas tester in your bum (exhaust) then don't make smoke.

Go on the open road and you (the VW car) can fart as much as it wants.

I don't tend to tootle around so don't think the van needs a good thrashing. We have decided to stay where we are for today so I just started the engine and the light as gone off. The wonders of modern transport.View attachment 42624 We will now go and contemplate some more.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Pulled over for a brew, within in a minute of starting again, engine management light came on, and went into limp home mode. Pulled over, kicked the tyres, didn't make any difference. Carried on the journey, van still fast enough in limp home mode. Next day light was out. Must have been the Czech beer.

high revs

Check fluids first . Oil water gearbox then race the engine& gearbox?
On digital digits dash. chryslers you can get codes by holding in odermeter reset botton constanly and turning the ignition key from 0 to 3 repetly 3 times.
3 being ignition, not start ! Then the computa gos on test run. Keep calm and wait and see ( It checks all management faults) with video running on Odimerter in veiw then paulse to get codes of video
Think all cars have this opportunity or one simular.
Try this at you own risk!

I will give that a miss as the light is now out. Thanks it might not be the wisest of moves 1400 mls from home. ��

Last edited:
I am in N Spain and the engine management light has just come on for no apparent reason. 200 mls since last fill up. No loss of power . Thoughts please. Fiat Ducato 2.3 120 multijet 2009.
Same engine, same management light.Turned out to be a chaffed cable . Portuguese garage charged me 60 euros, job sorted.
Remember, its not always a disaster.

Whilst true, the places you will be able to take an older diesel will become less and less as tighter emission restrictions come into force..
Might not be the older ones. I looked on LEZ checker site, and mine, a Brand new sprinter 163 bhp base , is non compliant at the moment. It is a EURO 6 and the exhaust pipe doesn't even have ANY soot on it at all, still polished inside. Can't go in without paying the lorry fee. NOT THAT I WOULD want to go there anyway.

Might not be the older ones. I looked on LEZ checker site, and mine, a Brand new sprinter 163 bhp base , is non compliant at the moment. It is a EURO 6 and the exhaust pipe doesn't even have ANY soot on it at all, still polished inside. Can't go in without paying the lorry fee. NOT THAT I WOULD want to go there anyway.

Why is that?

Are you reading it right?

On digital digits dash. chryslers you can get codes by holding in odermeter reset botton constanly and turning the ignition key from 0 to 3 repetly 3 times.
3 being ignition, not start ! Then the computa gos on test run. Keep calm and wait and see ( It checks all management faults) with video running on Odimerter in veiw then paulse to get codes of video

Not many Chrysler motorhomes if any so not relevant, I use a free programme called fiatecu or more recently it is called multiscan
Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars, I use a USB to OBD11
usb to obd2 cable - Google Search to connect to my laptop and can read and clear fault codes, it showed me I had a faulty ECU and I used it to programme the new ECU for my van, I have also helped a few other drivers with faults

Last edited:
Not many Chrysler motorhomes if any so not relevant, I use a free programme called fiatecu or more recently it is called multiscan
Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars, I use a USB to OBD11
usb to obd2 cable - Google Search to connect to my laptop and can read and clear fault codes, it showed me I had a faulty ECU and I used it to programme the new ECU for my van, I have also helped a few other drivers with faults

Nice one terry that's a hours labour in the garage to just read the faults as you know.

Sounds like a fraud as it is not really reducing emissions just diluting them.

yes sounds just like a gizmo to make the car seem greener and cleaner .something that motor companies would never do ,would they

can you imagine volkswagon or suzuki skoda and other car manufacturers ever stooping so low as to add anything to make there cars appear greener than they actualy are .unthinkable

Why is that?
It is because the DVLC give the information to the LEZ and mine is not showing up. When a MH is registered the emissions details are not given to avoid the stringent taxes that cars get on registration now. Because they do not show up I am not on the list of compliant vehicle yet and would be liable to the penalty. Compliance means on the list of compliant vehicle not having the right emissions value. It will turn up on there one day but just not yet.
The vehicle is probably too new and it is PHGV so comes under HGV rules. It will get sorted but I do not particularly want or need to go there anyway.

the bmw 525 e60 i had ,had a similer function on the i drive computer system . only trouble was unless you had access to the bmw code info the majority of the info was useless to you realy .the obd11 fault code reader i still have for it was much better and allowed you to reset any code that were a problem except the abs and the air-bag lights even though the instructions for the code reader said it would reset the air bag and abs lights it wouldn't .the failings i found with the code readers you can buy pretty cheaply is they will give you a generic code fault all manufacturers use but that one code fault could cover a few different actual problems you have on the car .i had one on a Mondeo cannot remember the actual code now but the code it threw up covered about 4 or 5 different components that could be giving trouble,bit useless realy unless you were willing to buy a few different expensive parts and swop the lot .only a dealer or indys computer fault computer can give you the exact component thats faulty realy .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back