Electric motorhome

Whoever you are the more money you have to spend the more damage you will do to the future, almost by definition. Where do we get the money to solve the climate crisis? By taxing the excessively rich and all learning to have enough with less?

Here we go, tax someone else. When only the rich could afford to fly or drive cars and buy expensive furniture there was little to no climate change, now all the plebs around the world can fly, drive and buy throw away items, we have a big problem. Want to go to Spain and leave a small carbon footprint? do as Laurie Lee and walk there. Want to decimate emissions from vehicles? Tax them so high the plebs can't afford to drive.

Here we go, tax someone else. When only the rich could afford to fly or drive cars and buy expensive furniture there was little to no climate change, now all the plebs around the world can fly, drive and buy throw away items, we have a big problem. Want to go to Spain and leave a small carbon footprint? do as Laurie Lee and walk there. Want to decimate emissions from vehicles? Tax them so high the plebs can't afford to drive.
I think that the polluter pays is a very fair principle?. We need money to solve climate change. It does not have to be punitive, it does have to be enough!!

Maybe we should start by fitting catalitic con to cows as im told they are worse than us,except when i have had b/beens.:LOL:

One of those might reduce the overpopulation of some countries if you fitted them to pious men in frocks who procreate by proxy.

Yes that is a significant problem. I apologize .
However when for decades people have avoided the issue as a small thing that action can be kicked into the future and may even not be humanities fault.
Now that 99.9% of scientists who are expert in a relevant field see climate change as mostly Anthropomorphic, therefore our responsibility. We need to change our view or nothing will happen.
I became a whole food plant based diet person 6 months ago otherwise I would be 7 ton very average Brit myself. I need to do more myself but find further change more difficult, but I feel I must move further in the next few years or I will not be able to look my grandchildren in the eye.

Big words, big figures on a subjective subject.
Since the start of the industrial revolution CO2 emissions have increased by roughly. 50%. Pre industrial revolution 280 ppm (max) today 414ppm. But the worlds population has increased by 400%. Using these figures means that those living prior to the industrial revolution were bigger per capita polluters than we are today. Diesel Motorhomes and all.

Now Derek we have a problem and that problem is over population, possibly global warming will be our saviour getting rid of a few billion, whilst maintaining lower birth rates owing to lower reproductive rates. :) :)

The worlds Forrest’s used to absorb 50% of all produced CO2. But today that figure is only around 30% with an area of Forrest the size of Wales disappearing every year. So stop cutting down trees and start planting trees could do more than removing all internal combustion engines from the planet.

It’s smoke and mirrors, it’s lets tax the man on the street, it’s never give a sucker an even break, it’s global warming. (We could do with that up here). :)
Tell me Derek do you believe that we only discovered what comes out of a diesel tail pipe. We have known for decades about nitrogen oxide, and the particulate matter. Yet ten years ago go it was “ dash for diesel” now it’s £12 a day to drive your 4 year old diesel with a Euro 5 engine 80 times cleaner than the first diesels.
The new 6b models have taken levels from 85ppm on the current euro 6 down to 50ppm. In the 1960s that figure was 490ppm,with much higher particulate. Today diesels produce 40% less CO2 than petrol. Yet you can drive a 12 year old petrol in London, but a 4 year old diesel producing much less CO2 will cost you £12 a day.

Smoke and mirrors Derek, nothing definitive, just one thing is certain, more taxes.
Clarity is lacking, detail obscured, and minds are being bent towards concern for the planet.

Today it’s go electric, yesterday dash for diesel.
Tomorrow who knows, but if it’s electric you can bet one thing it will somehow get much more expensive, no matter how beneficial it is to the planet.

Last edited:
It’s the rate of change that’s staggering, given that the big push has only been on for around 2 years it’s moving fast. I expect hybrid diesel vans to be common (new vans) within the next 18 months. Mercedes have hybrid diesel in several of there cars including the E Class and soon in the GLE Class. Those units units would move across to the Sprinter I’m sure as the base engine is the same now.

The amazon is being cut down at a alarming rate,fields were made bigger in uk and else where by cutting down trees and boundry hedge rows,pestacides used after the war killed bio life and now known to cause cancers and destroy nerv sys ,we are slowly killing the planet and ourselves.
The whole thing is out of control and i for one dont see an easy fix.

I think that the polluter pays is a very fair principle?. We need money to solve climate change. It does not have to be punitive, it does have to be enough!!

There are 70 seat private jets taking off with 1 rich passenger. That is obscene!

Fair principle but obscene?

There are private jets taking off with no passengers; returning only with a favourite pizza from Italy.
Can the fact the polluter can afford to pay for such ignorant, couldn't care less excess really be a 'very fair principle'?

The main reason for rise in cancers is a quadrupling of background radiation since the nuclear tests of the 1950s and 60s. Chernobyl saw a massive increase in strontium levels in Scotland. This led to deaths throughout Europe. But strontium lies dormant on the ground, this led to a massive increase in cancers in dogs due to them sniffing the ground looking for scent. It also led to massive increases in cancer rates in many other animals.
Yes there has been a large increase in CO2 in the past 50years and some of that is no doubt due to us. But I don’t think electrifying our transport will make much difference. We have to stop using fossil fuels for heating our homes. Industry has to use energy far more efficiently. And renewables have to and will improve. Storage of electricity has to improve in battery and capacitor developments.

What will save us all is nuclear fusion.
This uses the same process as the sun.
Instead of splitting atoms as we do today. We will fuse them together creating massive energy.
But that won’t happen till towards the end of the century. Just think nuclear power thousands of times greater than what we produce today from fission, with no risks of radiation. Now that will be a massive game changer.

whatever the hype theres a big problem with battery vehicles. leave aside the energy costs of manufacture of the battery pack, theres only a limited supply of the metals required not enough on the planet to produce the number of batteries required.

on another note, on tv last night somebody stated that the the last 4 summers were the hottest since records began. when i was a kid hot days meant butter left out on the kitchen table melted into liquid. that hasnt happened lately, so either theres summit wrong with the temp records or theyre mucking around with our butter.!

whatever the hype theres a big problem with battery vehicles. leave aside the energy costs of manufacture of the battery pack, theres only a limited supply of the metals required not enough on the planet to produce the number of batteries required.

on another note, on tv last night somebody stated that the the last 4 summers were the hottest since records began. when i was a kid hot days meant butter left out on the kitchen table melted into liquid. that hasnt happened lately, so either theres summit wrong with the temp records or theyre mucking around with our butter.!

The tar used to melt on the pavements in Glasgow in the 1960s, maybe it is made of better stuff now.:)

Last edited:
Surprised that with the roof space there is no solar to also aid with trickle charge to battery packs, would make sense. That way there would be less likelihood of being completely out of charge and you could fit a small generator in the garage under part to also help with that. Maybe even some form of Wind generator would be useful when travelling in large vehicles ?

Big words, big figures on a subjective subject.
Since the start of the industrial revolution CO2 emissions have increased by roughly. 50%. Pre industrial revolution 280 ppm (max) today 414ppm. But the worlds population has increased by 400%. Using these figures means that those living prior to the industrial revolution were bigger per capita polluters than we are today. Diesel Motorhomes and all.

Now Derek we have a problem and that problem is over population, possibly global warming will be our saviour getting rid of a few billion, whilst maintaining lower birth rates owing to lower reproductive rates. :) :)

The worlds Forrest’s used to absorb 50% of all produced CO2. But today that figure is only around 30% with an area of Forrest the size of Wales disappearing every year. So stop cutting down trees and start planting trees could do more than removing all internal combustion engines from the planet.

It’s smoke and mirrors, it’s lets tax the man on the street, it’s never give a sucker an even break, it’s global warming. (We could do with that up here). :)
Tell me Derek do you believe that we only discovered what comes out of a diesel tail pipe. We have known for decades about nitrogen oxide, and the particulate matter. Yet ten years ago go it was “ dash for diesel” now it’s £12 a day to drive your 4 year old diesel with a Euro 5 engine 80 times cleaner than the first diesels.
The new 6b models have taken levels from 85ppm on the current euro 6 down to 50ppm. In the 1960s that figure was 490ppm,with much higher particulate. Today diesels produce 40% less CO2 than petrol. Yet you can drive a 12 year old petrol in London, but a 4 year old diesel producing much less CO2 will cost you £12 a day.

Smoke and mirrors Derek, nothing definitive, just one thing is certain, more taxes.
Clarity is lacking, detail obscured, and minds are being bent towards concern for the planet.

Today it’s go electric, yesterday dash for diesel.
Tomorrow who knows, but if it’s electric you can bet one thing it will somehow get much more expensive, no matter how beneficial it is to the planet.
Overpopulation makes it worse but the big problem is the rich polluting the world.
Arable land produces enough calories for 7000 calories per person per day. An average person requires 2000 calories, of these 7000 about 2000 human edible calories are fed to domistic animals as feed.( Over and above pasture feed). In return we get about 200 calories of meat milk, eggs per person. a poor return. Another 1000 is turned into biodiesel and ethanol which makes up a tiny portion of the fuel needed to drive our vehicles. That leaves 4000 calories per person. The rest is lost in waste in harvest, manufacture, storage transport and finally bought by us and thrown out uneaten! Meanwhile due to bad distribution some people starve.
World Population could be fed and is now across the world at reproduction level only, in every continent except Africa. Yes we need to educate women to a high level as then they do not want too many children.
Rich people sending a jet to get a pizza or whatever need to pay all the costs of their pollution and yes they should have their flights rationed and if they need more they should pay increasing penalties! But first before that inflammatory position the very rich should be taxed to get the money to sort the problem.

They say making of cloths is one of the biggest polutors ,ladies do you really require a new outfit every time you cross the door,head down now🥵

Overpopulation makes it worse but the big problem is the rich polluting the world.
Arable land produces enough calories for 7000 calories per person per day. An average person requires 2000 calories, of these 7000 about 2000 human edible calories are fed to domistic animals as feed.( Over and above pasture feed). In return we get about 200 calories of meat milk, eggs per person. a poor return. Another 1000 is turned into biodiesel and ethanol which makes up a tiny portion of the fuel needed to drive our vehicles. That leaves 4000 calories per person. The rest is lost in waste in harvest, manufacture, storage transport and finally bought by us and thrown out uneaten! Meanwhile due to bad distribution some people starve.
World Population could be fed and is now across the world at reproduction level only, in every continent except Africa. Yes we need to educate women to a high level as then they do not want too many children.
Rich people sending a jet to get a pizza or whatever need to pay all the costs of their pollution and yes they should have their flights rationed and if they need more they should pay increasing penalties! But first before that inflammatory position the very rich should be taxed to get the money to sort the problem.

Derek you must be a right load of fun to be with mate.
Do yourself a favour.
Sit down, watch strictly with favourite tipple in hand, and let the world go bye.
There is sweet fa you and I or anybody can do about it.
But if we humans are good at anything it’s adapting.
We will adapt, improve our technology.
Then all you will have to do is wonder where to go next in your hydrogen fuel cell Motorhome. :)

I argue that money should not be able to buy you anything you want:
Private jet for pizza etc.; make it strictly illegal with punishment of prison.
Private jets in general; equally a luxury our planet cannot afford.

Start at the top for once (we never do) as that is where the obscenely excess polluters are.

I argue that money should not be able to buy you anything you want:
Private jet for pizza etc.; make it strictly illegal with punishment of prison.
Private jets in general; equally a luxury our planet cannot afford.

Start at the top for once (we never do) as that is where the obscenely excess polluters are.

You can always get Elton John to “offset” your carbon footprint

Well that’s what Harry and Megan did. :p

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back