electric heating fuse?

adriacoral

Can anyone help please. We are new to this having only got our van in August. Initially had loads of problems due to a non-existent pre-purchase check! Anyway since then had some great trips but still a few hiccups. Mainly our electric heating. It was working fine whilst on the drive. Use the gas mainly as wild camp but, while in Italian Alps found great site where we stayed over night to charge up. Electric heater/water would not work! Wasn't issue at time as used the gas. Van is due to go back for warranty work next week but as its so cold we want to keep the van warm.....Is there a fuse or something we can check? The only thing that happened from leaving home to plugging in was that we used the leisure battery down to nothing....could this have tripped it out? Also we have used a full propane in 4 days by just having heating on 1...is this not excessive? Its an adria coral on a 57 plate if that helps!! Thanks in advance.

It sounds like your RCD has tripped. There are no 240 V fuses.

There will be 2 or 3 RCD`s somewhere in your van. They are just like the ones you have in the house. You may have plugged in with something 240 volt switched on and it has tripped the breaker.

It is recommended that you switch off the 240 volt supply in the van until your hookup lead is connected and then switch on the 240 volt main switch.You can get a spike of electricity doing it the wrong way.

It is probably the cheap and nasty foreign electricity that caused it.

i would note all the faults you have picked up on, jot them down on paper and present this to the sellers .and get them to rectify all the problems to your sattisfaction .after all you will have payed out good money for your van. when i got my van i had a problem with the split charge system and the gas heater failed a week after i picked it up, after a full gas check he insisted on before i picked the van up i took it back to the dealer i got it off and he repaired the faults free of charge .the heater was not repairable so he put another in albeit a good second hand one , and my van was 20 odd years old and only cost £2000 not a modern near new one , mind you he was a small family concern. it payed off for him as my recomendation to a friend got him the sale of another van and a bottle of somthing scottish and tasty off me .

What is your boiler?

What is the make of your boiler. I had the same problem with my Truma boiler and when I spoke to the dealer I discovered there was a thermal cutout in the form of a button that needed pressed - however the button was on a raised cover on the opposite side of the boiler from the hatch - once I knew where it was resetting it was simple, problem solved for me.

Robert

Thanks guys. We had already checked RCD and they hadn't tripped, but on having a look round found blown fuse under passenger seat near leisure battery. Not sure where the wires went but changed it and seemed to do trick!.. hubby quite handy at fixing things once we know how they work. Van already been back to Campbells for multiple fixes, 17 faults found after we picked it up!, they had it a month and still not right...still its the right layout for us and was right price otherwise would've taken it back for refund. Re the gas bottle usage mentioned earlier is that about right?

Thanks robert, will look for reset button too. Hubby says fuse was actually melted so little worrying.....don't want to be stuck when in middle of no-where.

It is recommended that you switch off the 240 volt supply in the van until your hookup lead is connected and then switch on the 240 volt main switch.

We don't have a 240v switch, just the 12. We will turn everything off next time just in case.

Gas usage will be heavy if you are camping in freezing conditions. Heater specifications will give you the gas consumption per hour and you can work it out from knowing roughly how many hours a day it was firing.
Without knowing what size propane tanks you have, hard to be precise.

Turn the temperature down a few degrees and wear more clothes will extend the time considerably.

Gone off again!

Well its off again.....nothing on except the heating on low 1.5. . Was on late last night when we checked, this morning off. Can't find anything wrong anywhere, no reset button ( as previously mentioned ) and cant find an RCD. Quietly going mad.....

Has the same fuse blown again?

If so, then at least you have made some progress. You should have got a wiring diagram with the van. If you can obtain the numbering of the wire then you can trace the circuit.

If the same fuse has not blown then you are no further forward.

Find the model number of your heater. I expect it will be a Truma. You can go to the Truma website and get downloads (I believe). I am also told that they are very helpful if you contact them.

As for a melted fuse, a lot of people buy cheap auto fuses. Their quality is suspect and is a false economy.

model is C6002EH, i will have a look. No fuses appear to have blown. It is a brand new heating system done on warranty.....

This changes everything, if the heater is still under the manufacturers warranty, then you should leave well alone and take it back to the dealer.

Another way would be to contact Truma direct and ask them if there is a recommended Truma repairer in your area and get Truma to agree to a warranty repair. It will probably be quicker than using the dealer and you will get a proper repair done.

Yes, it is due back in dealers next week for series of faults, it has spent longer in their garage than on my drive! Would just like to know how these things work for when its out of warranty. Thanks for your help, i'm sure we will be asking more questions in the future.

Are you sure the heater isn't working at all on electric? I ask because we have an Adria Izola with the same Truma boiler, the water heats up on electric but it's not that fast, using the electric for heating isn't that great. Even when on full the electric heating can't cope in the winter, at best it will just about take the chill off the van but you need to use the gas to get the van comfortable.

Quick reply, if it's the heater wen on mains that is causing the issue, there is a glass fuse located in the Black box where the mains cable goes inside the unit. If the fuse keeps blowing, there is a recall on that heater which involves replacing the PCB board, the mains switching board and the fans. Refer to Truma direct on this and they will refer you to a Truma agent rather than your dealer. Process will be much faster.

Rgs

Nick

Are you sure the heater isn't working at all on electric? I ask because we have an Adria Izola with the same Truma boiler, the water heats up on electric but it's not that fast, using the electric for heating isn't that great. Even when on full the electric heating can't cope in the winter, at best it will just about take the chill off the van but you need to use the gas to get the van comfortable.

Yes def not working as red light comes on. Only using to take chill off, (used too much gas,) while not in use.

Quick reply, if it's the heater wen on mains that is causing the issue, there is a glass fuse located in the Black box where the mains cable goes inside the unit. If the fuse keeps blowing, there is a recall on that heater which involves replacing the PCB board, the mains switching board and the fans. Refer to Truma direct on this and they will refer you to a Truma agent rather than your dealer. Process will be much faster.

Rgs

Nick

Have checked all fuses, seem ok. Will pass on info re recall, it already has new pCB due to Jet washers ( dimwits! ) blowing up gas heating side - after new system fitted! ( originally worked on electric til we were on holiday, then after tips on here was working and now not! ) See what dealer says as its already booked in, sfter that will get on to Truma if not sorted. Thanks for all help received.

electric heating

Has the same fuse blown again?

If so, then at least you have made some progress. You should have got a wiring diagram with the van. If you can obtain the numbering of the wire then you can trace the circuit.

If the same fuse has not blown then you are no further forward.

Find the model number of your heater. I expect it will be a Truma. You can go to the Truma website and get downloads (I believe). I am also told that they are very helpful if you contact them.

As for a melted fuse, a lot of people buy cheap auto fuses. Their quality is suspect and is a false economy.

hi as maingate says truma are very helpful and quick to give you an answer. about the gas that is about right for this time of the year

Can anyone help please. We are new to this having only got our van in August. Initially had loads of problems due to a non-existent pre-purchase check! Anyway since then had some great trips but still a few hiccups. Mainly our electric heating. It was working fine whilst on the drive. Use the gas mainly as wild camp but, while in Italian Alps found great site where we stayed over night to charge up. Electric heater/water would not work! Wasn't issue at time as used the gas. Van is due to go back for warranty work next week but as its so cold we want to keep the van warm.....Is there a fuse or something we can check? The only thing that happened from leaving home to plugging in was that we used the leisure battery down to nothing....could this have tripped it out? Also we have used a full propane in 4 days by just having heating on 1...is this not excessive? Its an adria coral on a 57 plate if that helps!! Thanks in advance.[/Q

I had the same problem and I found that there was a fuse alongside tge starter battery which blew IF THE LEISURE BATTERY ran down too much. this was to stop the SU battery from running down as well.
Tommywelly]

I had the same problem and I found that there was a fuse alongside tge starter battery which blew IF THE LEISURE BATTERY ran down too much. this was to stop the SU battery from running down as well.
Tommywelly

I think it's quite unlikely that this fuse would blow to prevent the starter battery from discharging. More likely is that it's to protect undersized wiring from overheating when a discharged leisure battery is being recharged by the alternator, after starting the engine.

Anyway it's nothing to do with the original problem which was the Truma heating not working on mains electric.

AndyC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back