Electric bikes?

kris

Just come back from first time driving in m/h in Europe-Germany mainly..Been doing a lot of walking/cycling as on my own.Seen a lot of electric bikes and interested in buying a folder as I carry a one in van.Anyone had one for a while or recommend one ?Battery life seems an important issue.

Hi Kris,
I cant comment on folding electric bikes, but me and the wife both have S Duro Haibikes, hers a front sus mtb, and mine a full sus mtb. The S Duro uses the Yamaha system rather than the more common Bosch. Performance wise i dont think there is a lot in it, but the Yamaha uses std twin front chain rings as opposed to the Bosch which runs a single small ring.
The battery life is quite staggering really, i regularly go out and do 25 miles in std mode around my local trail centre red route, on the flat you would get nearer 50 miles in eco no problem. We charge ours through a good quality inverter whilst we are away.

Stu

Flyby ( Paul ) has a great electric bike, had ago on it at the Rutland meet. Perhaps he will come on thread and let us know abit more.
Cheers.
David

we bought two bikes from AS bikes 7 years ago based in Coventry they attend all the shows the bikes themselves are aluminium folding ones and are excellent examples he imports them from China fits a couple of new bearings & other parts to improve them , Jans is the 20" version this folds up and fits under the bench seating inside the van , they have very good after sales service I'e after 5 years the battery slide/guide had come loose due to me manhandling it this made the connection not line up I booked it in to their workshop and took it over on appointment went of to a nearby garden centre for a couple of hours when I got back they'd given it full service fitted several new parts for the grand price of £25 , this year the chain guard on my bike had broken explained to Peter at the Newbury show what had happened he asked if I felt able to fit it myself or did I want to book it in etc and handed me the part no charge,
rather than buying at the show you can book to go and see him and take various bikes for a ride around the area to see which suits you best,

There's also the Pedelecs website - UK Electric Bikes l Pedelecs

I don't know anything about them but there is a huge range of bikes tested

I've been thinking about one for some time and I suspect that if it is popular in the Netherlands, then it's probably worth a second look. The Dutch seem to have gone for electric bikes more than any other country in Euroland

Ain't necessarily so.

There's a comparison list at ' A to B bikes' ( tablet won't do links). Not all the pricey ones are good value . Too often there is a lot of old stock which should have been discounted long ago. You certainly do not have to pay £1000's for a good bike. I did a lot of asking about last Winter in Spain and everybody had to do some repairs whatever their make of bike. Maintenance is the same whatever the make.
Makes sense to shop around, particularly about batteries. Looks like we're going to get a couple of Wayscral bikes in France on the way South. Their reputation and price seem right to me. There appears to be not a lot wrong with the Tesco bikes, depends on your projected use. Just do the homework .

Electric bikes

Hello. I have a Wisper 805fe Folding bike. Would not be without it. I use it daily while away. Lots of money, but well made. If you go for a second hand one. Remember to factor 350 pounds in for a possible new Battery.

as bikes

we bought two bikes from AS bikes 7 years ago based in Coventry they attend all the shows the bikes themselves are aluminium folding ones and are excellent examples he imports them from China fits a couple of new bearings & other parts to improve them , Jans is the 20" version this folds up and fits under the bench seating inside the van , they have very good after sales service I'e after 5 years the battery slide/guide had come loose due to me manhandling it this made the connection not line up I booked it in to their workshop and took it over on appointment went of to a nearby garden centre for a couple of hours when I got back they'd given it full service fitted several new parts for the grand price of £25 , this year the chain guard on my bike had broken explained to Peter at the Newbury show what had happened he asked if I felt able to fit it myself or did I want to book it in etc and handed me the part no charge,
rather than buying at the show you can book to go and see him and take various bikes for a ride around the area to see which suits you best,

I also bought two fold up bikes from AS Bikes at the caravan show at NEC two years ago. I got them cheap as they were the last of stock of 24 volt type apparantly all bikes are now are 36 volt . They are grate for exercise you just sit on it and twist the go grip and of you go. Thats my kind of exercise twisting the grip. The bikes are realy good we use them all the time well worth the outlay

I bought 2 x 20" folding bikes at the October NEC show from AS Bikes (they're the Mk3 I Think), fab little bikes

I have two....

One for home and one fold-up for the camper which is great, I have a Globecar van and the bike folds up nicely in the rear. Although I brought them in Surrey which is a distance from you they may be able to help, they have an excellent team. Go to Electric bikes for sale at Cycling Made Easy
Well recommend assisted cycling I use my home one whenever the weather allows here in France and normally do at least a 100km a week.

One I have come across as popular is E -Wayfarer folder alloy frame 7 gears and very light .Looks good value at £579.

Volt E Bikes NOT Voltz

We bought two Volt (UK) Impulse bikes, shipped out to Alicante and now all over Europe with them up and down hilss and 100,s of kms under their wheels. Truly remarkable, simple automatic you choose Assist or it does. Believe me they are phenomenal in every way, buy British especially now as we leave the EU

I have the Seago ePower folding bike and love it.

It's the first 2015 model (red) and has since been improved for 2016 (blue version) and I tested one earlier this month.

It weighs about 19kg, folds quickly and easily, has a range of about 35-40 miles (the spec states more), chunky tyres, 7 speed gears, LED lights and disc brakes front and rear. Mine has 3 power levels but the 2016 version has 5 which is much better as my 'low' mode is far too high IMO.

It's proven very reliable, has a genuine Samsung 8.8Ah battery (promoted at 9Ah) and I would very happily buy it again.

I had some queries and found Seago were excellent to deal with and very responsive.

I paid £599 for mine but the current price is now about £699 and I believe the package also includes a bag for it but this isn't always promoted.

Seago - Seago ePower Electric Folding Bike 2016 Model - Pirates Cave Chandlery

Has anyone on here got a E-Wayfarer folder and what do they think of it ?

I don't have one and haven't seen it out on the road, but it looks like a fairly standard spec with the exception of the rear brake.

Is the battery manufacturer stated anywhere? Some batteries are better than others, with Samsung generally said to be amongst the best.

Quoting a 48km range on battery power alone is rather misleading and suggests this is via the throttle rather than pedal-assist. I note the spec also (correctly) states this to be the maximum range on pedal assist too!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back