El Presidente cometh

barge1914

A funny sort of day. It started last evening with a young policeman summoning me across the Area de Servicios in Almadén in Spain and requesting we do not leave before 10.30 today. ‘El Presidente’ is coming and wants a picture of him with us, apparently we are the 10,000th visitor to his nice new Aires.

So this morning as we waited a large gathering of neatly dressed Spaniards assembled and advanced towards us…hmmm! Very friendly, with TV and camera people, much hand shaking and incomprehensible nattering and pleasantries. In due course we were presented with a nice hamper of local goodies, group photo taken, beaming smiles, and interview for local tele. Turns out it was the president of the Ciudad Real district who funded the series of nice new Aires in the area. I impressed on him how good and welcome the new Area was (with a gentle reminder to get the water fixed), and even related to him the activities of CAMpRA in the UK and the contrast between the welcome motorhomers receive our two countries. Pity however there was only us there on the day to greet him.

Nevertheless, since the performance delayed our departure beyond the time when car parking remained available in the local supermarket the hamper was very welcome! The Manchega cheese and pickles are delicious, not to mention the wine! Not quite sure yet what we’ll do with the saffron.

Attachments

• EAEF715D-B266-4CDF-ADCB-D4DDE1B2B549.jpeg
    EAEF715D-B266-4CDF-ADCB-D4DDE1B2B549.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 35
  • AD57C281-7CA2-4C43-986D-03AE650E77B9.jpeg
    AD57C281-7CA2-4C43-986D-03AE650E77B9.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 35
We where in Tolouse in February 2020, a woman came up to us and gave us an invitation to the townhall. Said something about a cultural exchange. We turned up and were given a glass of wine and some nice canapés, then a dance group came in and did a 5 minute routine. After that a couple of speeches we were set free. Still don't know what it was about.

Brilliant Ian, I hope the fame doesn't go to your head though!
You'll be wanting the red carpet treatment on your return no doubt?
A day to remember indeed.

I once played rugby in Nantes, France in the 90's. We were having a civic reception in the evening to meet the local mayor. During the day 4 of us went off on a drive around the area and a lorry totalled my car when we were stationary in traffic. Anyway it took ages to sort so no time to get changed before the reception so I met M. le Mayor wearing a T Shirt with Tin Tin on it and red and white (very loud) stripey shorts...whilst everyone else were booted and suited!

A funny sort of day. It started last evening with a young policeman summoning me across the Area de Servicios in Almadén in Spain and requesting we do not leave before 10.30 today. ‘El Presidente’ is coming and wants a picture of him with us, apparently we are the 10,000th visitor to his nice new Aires.

So this morning as we waited a large gathering of neatly dressed Spaniards assembled and advanced towards us…hmmm! Very friendly, with TV and camera people, much hand shaking and incomprehensible nattering and pleasantries. In due course we were presented with a nice hamper of local goodies, group photo taken, beaming smiles, and interview for local tele. Turns out it was the president of the Ciudad Real district who funded the series of nice new Aires in the area. I impressed on him how good and welcome the new Area was (with a gentle reminder to get the water fixed), and even related to him the activities of CAMpRA in the UK and the contrast between the welcome motorhomers receive our two countries. Pity however there was only us there on the day to greet him.

Nevertheless, since the performance delayed our departure beyond the time when car parking remained available in the local supermarket the hamper was very welcome! The Manchega cheese and pickles are delicious, not to mention the wine! Not quite sure yet what we’ll do with the saffron.
piella, very easy to make if you use a frozen bag of fish pie mix.

Brilliant Ian, I hope the fame doesn't go to your head though!
You'll be wanting the red carpet treatment on your return no doubt?
A day to remember indeed.
I’ll forgive the red carpet, but another bottle of wine like that one (usually 20-30£) would go down very nicely.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back