EE Roaming Changes

Penny13

Not sure if this has been highlighted by anyone else …

EE will introduce a £2/day fee for mobile roaming in Europe from January​

EE's new £2/day flat fee will apply to any customers who sign up to a new contract or renew their existing one after 7 July 2021, unless they are on one of its specific roaming tariffs - 'Smart' and 'Full Works'. The new charge won't come into force until next January and you can continue to roam for free - subject to a fair usage policy of 50GB/mth - until then.

EE customers with an Essential plan can also choose to take out a 30-day 'Roam Abroad Pass' for £10, which will be cheaper than the new £2/day fee if you're going to Europe and plan to use your phone for more than five days. The provider blames the shake-up on a need to "support investment".

BT and Plusnet mobile customers, which are part of the same group as EE, are not affected and will be able to continue to roam in Europe for free.

• Angry
Reactions: GMJ
The thin edge of the wedge I suspect: once one does it, they may all follow suit suit soon.

At least it is for now customers and not existing ones...yet!

Three have recently reduced their monthly roaming allowance from 20GB to 12GB.

12GB is enough for normal monthly website surfing. In the U.K. when I am at home with the benefit of home broadband for streaming I use around 2-3GB on the phone each month when out and about with little use of video streaming. In the U.K. when using campsites recently I used around 4GB a week which included much Netflix and Britbox downloading.

These moves do however strengthen arguments for the use of satellite in lieu of mobile WiFi for TV viewing although much of what we watch when outside the U.K. is boxset DVD or Netflix based and any downloading is done using cafe wifi hotspots and the like as and when. We have built up a large collection of DVD boxsets after much CEX and charity shop browsing and rarely pay more than £10 for 100’s of hours of viewing so have plenty to work our way through.

When winter wildcamping in Spain or Portugal we can’t always go out in the evening and this is when we are more reliant on home entertainment.

All things being normal of course!

We also keep around 30-40 DVD films in the MH for trips away. When we watch a film I make a note of any trailers that look interesting and we buy them off Ebay when we get back. I also sell any films we have watched so it only usually costs us around a quid for each film on average.

We have worked through our box sets so I just had to pay 18 quid for series 8 of Homeland and 9 quid for series 7 of Cold Feet!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back