Ecoflow power kit and gadget John you tube videos

Derekoak

Gadjet John has had several videos on his expensive all singing and dancing ecoflow system, which he has then had trouble with and is now ripping out.
He claims that among other electronic problems some of the wiring is underspecified. He shows melted wiring he says is awg 6, (translated I think to 13 sq.mm) 6m long that was supposed to take up to 60amp. That does seem underspecified.
Has anyone else watched his videos to have an opinion?
I know Phil has history with John over electrics and many you tuber van lifers are recommending ecoflow products.

Personally I agree that the system is expensive and complicated, I am interested in if others think it is safe or alternatively badly installed somehow.

With the other video on an unsafe join It seems they do not take enough care.
I will avoid them !
Admins comments on botj videos would be interesting !

I guess the question is an opinion on what? The kit? The videos?

The Kit.

Something to bear in mind is the Ecoflow Power kit is not just a big battery bank, it is a full all-in-one electrical system with Monitoring and Control systems. So you cannot just take their price and compare it to a couple of same-sized batteries and an Inverter, which many of the commenters seem to be doing. It is essentially a "next-generation" system and if you look at some of the high-end RV coaches in the US (high-end meaning 7 figure dollars) they have very integrated electrical systems which alone cost more than many people here (including me) have spent on their entire Motorhome/Campervan.

Now having said all the above, to me it still looks pricey compared to what you can get from established vendors and while there is an appeal in having system that is so integrated, the danger is if there is a problem, you can end up with a totally inoperable setup.
I was not aware that Ecoflow was a Chinese company until very recently. I had assumed it was probably a US company or possible German (given they had a big launch of this kit in Germany) and had the product made in China (unsurprisingly). The fact (AFAIK) it is fully Chinese would put me TBH because while the various Chinese companies are excellent at Replication, they suck at Innovation (Gunpowder last thing I can think of they actually invented?). This usually means responses to issues are usually slow and poor.

The Installation

From the videos I have watched of Gadget John's van build, I can't see any fault in his installation of the Ecoflow Power kit. The latest fault to me lays entirely with the provision of a very poorly made and undersized cable. I want to find it hard to believe that anyone who made that cable thought it acceptable. What is amazing is that to actually make a cable like that with a join as done would actually take more time and more work than just getting a new length of cable, so it truly beggers belief how that happened. And Ecoflows response about it being a "demo cable" that accidently got provided is so implausible it is laughable.
I have seen commenters saying how he could have done resistance checks on the cable before installation? Who on earth does that when they get a ready-to-install kit? You make the assumption it is good don't you? given the cable in question was in a braided sheath and the join deliberately hidden, I don't think there is any way anyone would spot that?
What I might have done in his case was to set it all up on a bench and try it out before installation just to see how it all goes, but time is a factor and if I had his time constraints I likely would have dropped it right him just as he did.
Whilst GJ has done some rather odd things (the Lithium to Lead reversal was very odd and never really explained (and I have a bit of inside info on that which makes it no clearer!), I can't see anything he did wrong on the Ecoflow Power kit.

If I wanted a setup LIKE the Ecoflow Power kit, offering the same kind of features (yes, OF COURSE I DO :D ), then I wouldn't get the Ecoflow Power system.
I do think it is a bit expensive for what it is, I don't like it is a Chinese-owned and driven company for the reasons given earlier, and the quality of some manufacture and response to manufacturing faults is poor.

It is possible to get a level of integration and monitoring without getting some committed to an all-in-one solution.
Victron ("Team Blue") are a good example of that and a full Victron setup with probably NON-Victron batteries would be cheaper, with much more support and greater quality. You can enhance the Victron solution with additional third-party software like Node-Red, Home Assistant and others.
For Monitoring, you can use an excellent set of products from Simarine, a Slovakian company that actually in many ways puts Victron to shame with their PICO system.

that is my long-winded reply.
the short reply is the typical Motorhomer needs little more than a battery SOC monitor plus batteries and a switch panel.

If you watch a few more of GJ’s videos you will see he has had some operational problems with the kit prior to this. GJ goes to great lengths in previous videos to praise the response and support that he got from Ecoflow. From what I have seen, not counting this cable issue, Ecoflow have been exceptional in their customer service. Every company will have problems, it’s how they deal with them that shows their worth.

I don’t think the cable incident is a reflection on the quality of Ecoflow gear in general, there is an awful lot of kit out there pushed by all the YT influencers and this is the first I have heard anything wrong at all.
The technology in the power kit is brilliant but I would never spend £4K on my electrics even fitting myself so no chance I will be able to update you on how well it works for me 😂😂

Everyone has their own ways but going from a top flight system to Renogy kit doesn’t seem very consistent to me. GJ’s money so his choice, I do think he is influenced by others a bit too quickly at times but guess we can all be like that 👍

I only watched John's middle video vb33 before starting this thread as I dont follow GJ usually. Having watched vb32 it is more horrific than I thought as to that cable. I just watched vb 34 and at least he got his money back.
John says not to post on forums before watching all his video (s) unfortunately that is not the way it works. I also read all the posts on motorhomer. So now understand a lot more.

I only watched John's middle video vb33 before starting this thread as I dont follow GJ usually. Having watched vb32 it is more horrific than I thought as to that cable. I just watched vb 34 and at least he got his money back.
John says not to post on forums before watching all his video (s) unfortunately that is not the way it works. I also read all the posts on motorhomer. So now understand a lot more.
I watch some of GJ’s vids, usually if it’s something I have an interest in like this power kit. If you just take them as on ordinary bloke having a go at doing something they want it’s not too bad. Quite often I wouldn’t do things the same way but that’s fine, not my van. In this power kit though I haven’t seen anything untoward from GJ

If you watch a few more of GJ’s videos you will see he has had some operational problems with the kit prior to this. GJ goes to great lengths in previous videos to praise the response and support that he got from Ecoflow. From what I have seen, not counting this cable issue, Ecoflow have been exceptional in their customer service. Every company will have problems, it’s how they deal with them that shows their worth.

I don’t think the cable incident is a reflection on the quality of Ecoflow gear in general, there is an awful lot of kit out there pushed by all the YT influencers and this is the first I have heard anything wrong at all.
The technology in the power kit is brilliant but I would never spend £4K on my electrics even fitting myself so no chance I will be able to update you on how well it works for me 😂😂

Everyone has their own ways but going from a top flight system to Renogy kit doesn’t seem very consistent to me. GJ’s money so his choice, I do think he is influenced by others a bit too quickly at times but guess we can all be like that 👍

Renogy make some interesting kit but the downside is a lot of their stuff is actually just bought in and relabeled (similar to Photonic Universe in many instances). The difference between buying Renogy and searching eBay and Aliexpress for similar is Renogy would usually have done some vetting and theirs will come from a slightly better sweatshop.
I suspect (and it is only a suspicion) that Renogy 'reached' out to Gadget John and offered a system at a good price. (Hey, and why not if you get the opportunity!).
I can understand dumping the Ecoflow Power as well. Even if they were responsive with the app issues and stuff, it doesn't help if you can't use it due to the bugs (ignoring the cable issue entirely there).

I guess the question is an opinion on what? The kit? The videos?

The Kit.

Something to bear in mind is the Ecoflow Power kit is not just a big battery bank, it is a full all-in-one electrical system with Monitoring and Control systems. So you cannot just take their price and compare it to a couple of same-sized batteries and an Inverter, which many of the commenters seem to be doing. It is essentially a "next-generation" system and if you look at some of the high-end RV coaches in the US (high-end meaning 7 figure dollars) they have very integrated electrical systems which alone cost more than many people here (including me) have spent on their entire Motorhome/Campervan.

Now having said all the above, to me it still looks pricey compared to what you can get from established vendors and while there is an appeal in having system that is so integrated, the danger is if there is a problem, you can end up with a totally inoperable setup.
I was not aware that Ecoflow was a Chinese company until very recently. I had assumed it was probably a US company or possible German (given they had a big launch of this kit in Germany) and had the product made in China (unsurprisingly). The fact (AFAIK) it is fully Chinese would put me TBH because while the various Chinese companies are excellent at Replication, they suck at Innovation (Gunpowder last thing I can think of they actually invented?). This usually means responses to issues are usually slow and poor.

The Installation

From the videos I have watched of Gadget John's van build, I can't see any fault in his installation of the Ecoflow Power kit. The latest fault to me lays entirely with the provision of a very poorly made and undersized cable. I want to find it hard to believe that anyone who made that cable thought it acceptable. What is amazing is that to actually make a cable like that with a join as done would actually take more time and more work than just getting a new length of cable, so it truly beggers belief how that happened. And Ecoflows response about it being a "demo cable" that accidently got provided is so implausible it is laughable.
I have seen commenters saying how he could have done resistance checks on the cable before installation? Who on earth does that when they get a ready-to-install kit? You make the assumption it is good don't you? given the cable in question was in a braided sheath and the join deliberately hidden, I don't think there is any way anyone would spot that?
What I might have done in his case was to set it all up on a bench and try it out before installation just to see how it all goes, but time is a factor and if I had his time constraints I likely would have dropped it right him just as he did.
Whilst GJ has done some rather odd things (the Lithium to Lead reversal was very odd and never really explained (and I have a bit of inside info on that which makes it no clearer!), I can't see anything he did wrong on the Ecoflow Power kit.

If I wanted a setup LIKE the Ecoflow Power kit, offering the same kind of features (yes, OF COURSE I DO :D ), then I wouldn't get the Ecoflow Power system.
I do think it is a bit expensive for what it is, I don't like it is a Chinese-owned and driven company for the reasons given earlier, and the quality of some manufacture and response to manufacturing faults is poor.

It is possible to get a level of integration and monitoring without getting some committed to an all-in-one solution.
Victron ("Team Blue") are a good example of that and a full Victron setup with probably NON-Victron batteries would be cheaper, with much more support and greater quality. You can enhance the Victron solution with additional third-party software like Node-Red, Home Assistant and others.
For Monitoring, you can use an excellent set of products from Simarine, a Slovakian company that actually in many ways puts Victron to shame with their PICO system.

that is my long-winded reply.
the short reply is the typical Motorhomer needs little more than a battery SOC monitor plus batteries and a switch panel.
In the light of new information. I still think the cabling was appalling..as ecoflow have agreed.
I was thinking of one 3 years ago for our. Canada trip.
I think they and the likes of Jackery do provide useful extra power..
We only use our vehicle in the summer so 1 leisure battery was ok.
We now have 2 x 100ah (platinum from Aplha) and we tour quite happily mainly off grid.
We do not need 240v as everything works off 12 v or usb.
So no plans for either a power bank or inverter etc.
If we used 240v I would quite happily buy a suitable device.
This is even though they are overpriced.
But now 8 years of use mainly with only 1 leisure battery means I am not inclined to splash out

In the light of new information. I still think the cabling was appalling..as ecoflow have agreed.
I was thinking of one 3 years ago for our. Canada trip.
I think they and the likes of Jackery do provide useful extra power..
We only use our vehicle in the summer so 1 leisure battery was ok.
We now have 2 x 100ah (platinum from Aplha) and we tour quite happily mainly off grid.
We do not need 240v as everything works off 12 v or usb.
So no plans for either a power bank or inverter etc.
If we used 240v I would quite happily buy a suitable device.
This is even though they are overpriced.
But now 8 years of use mainly with only 1 leisure battery means I am not inclined to splash out
Like you we hardly have any 240volt use so a cheap 300w inverter does. Our new ish underslung diy lithium 200ah lasts 3 days at least, that is not moving with no sun. We are always offgrid. We have no need for another portable power system. Our little micro camper does not have the room for a ecoflow or jackery anyway.
We do use our camper in the winter too just back from 4 days in Northumberland and Berwickshire, but the battery lasts without sun anyway. In summer sun we could not move for weeks and still have power.
I am glad to hear that John found a bad junction in the cable too. What caught my attention was his suggestion that 13 sq mm cable 6m long was undersized for 60 amp anyway, as I sized my 60 amp b2b cable 2.5m long at 16sq. mm , in part to damp maximum alternator supply to protect the alternator.

What caught my attention was his suggestion that 13 sq mm cable 6m long was undersized for 60 amp anyway, as I sized my 60 amp b2b cable 2.5m long at 16sq. mm , in part to damp maximum alternator supply to protect the alternator.
I agree that the cable is undersized for the cable length and the continuous load of a conductor that is not in free air. Also, "if" the output of the B2B is 60A, which means the input may be closer to 70 amps.

BUT...

It is a 1000w B2B, I will let you do the maths.

Well it was extremely close call .
He's gone for another system, he ripping it out now.
Mandys van build just has more delays. ?.

If you want hits or view's on youtub just title it with attacked in van. 100000
Or white Christian males rape 850000
But best 1 for me was a beford bambi 1985, now has 350000 in 3 months

Eco flow 10000 view's just gos to show he titled it wrong!. that the irony of it, it cost him.

Well it was extremely close call .
He's gone for another system, he ripping it out now.
Mandys van build just has more delays. ?.

If you want hits or view's on youtub just title it with attacked in van. 100000
Or white Christian males rape 850000
But best 1 for me was a beford bambi 1985, now has 350000 in 3 months

Eco flow 10000 view's just gos to show he titled it wrong!. that the irony of it, it cost him.
It is not as simple as that.

350,000 video views means that 350,000 people clicked the thumbnail.

The success of the video is more likely due to the audience retention of the video. High retention rates are a result of good storytelling, a good pace in the video and overall an intriguing story.

It is not as simple as that.

350,000 video views means that 350,000 people clicked the thumbnail.

The success of the video is more likely due to the audience retention of the video. High retention rates are a result of good storytelling, a good pace in the video and overall an intriguing story.
yup.
It is very easy to post a youtube video. it is much harder to post a youtube video that gets watched to the end.
Gadget John posts a lot of stuff that someone may watch and disagree with what he is doing, or question why he is doing it, but still end up watching to the end :)

I do watch a fair bit of Youtube and I find some videos I want to be interested in but I just can't get a few minutes into it before switching off as the presentation is just lacking. And other videos I watch to the end even though I really have little interest in the topic as the presenter is good to watch and makes the subject interesting somehow.
I guess the difference about being a Storyteller and just being a cameraman?

If it's your job you should be good at it , click baits are a way in and he missed it.

Like the old saying for anyone in the spotlight famouse or wanna bees especially YouTubers any drama good or bad is a good day it gets them views and in return they get paid. YouTube is flooded with these people who now have all run out of content and cutting each other’s grass to make a living out of YouTube so if somebody farts the wrong way they make a video stick on YouTube with a sparkling of clickbait.. For one I now don’t watch any of it it’s all so repetitive. Some of them wanna just give motorhming up. If I had half the dramas and bad luck that guys got had I’d never look at a Motorhome again.

I agree that the cable is undersized for the cable length and the continuous load of a conductor that is not in free air. Also, "if" the output of the B2B is 60A, which means the input may be closer to 70 amps.

BUT...

It is a 1000w B2B, I will let you do the maths.
As a complete moron on this stuff maybe you should do the maths for us please?

I use EcoFlow a lot and I’d like this made a bit clearer if that’s ok with you Phil.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back