DVLA Over 70 Treadmill Test

Kontiki

Rang the DVLA this morning to try to find out if there was any update in my application to keep my C1 cat. on my license. I was told there was a letter sent on Wednesday (still not arrived) explaining they have written to the hospital & I need to have the treadmill stress test. Not sure how long I will have to wait for this I waited 2 years for my last appointment although it wasn't for anything urgent. Not sure how I will manage the treadmill as I have difficulty walking due to back problems. Think I made the right decision in selling our Rapido when we did, thinking maybe I should accept that as I've had heart problems in the past it is likely to always continue to be a problem with the DVLA. Next van will definitely be under the 3.5t limit.

Is this a test that could be carried out privately?
Is the 'Treadmill Stress Test' mandatory for all, or only those applicants who've had coronary problems recorded by their GP?
I ask because I've 5 years to go, gives me time to work on the pecs and 6 pack, hopefully will help avoid a visit to the quack with a chest pain!

Having just taken a treadmill test and dealing with DVLA I have an understanding of what it is all about.

I believe the DVLA pay £300 for this test, to whom I am not sure. I have circulation problems in my legs etc and concern was that this may have spread to my heart resulting in ECG stress test. The test involves being wired to a heart monitor with about 6 connections across your chest and in addition the Dr had a cuff blood pressure to double check. The test involves 9 minutes on the treadmill in three minute stages with the pace and incline increasing for stages 2&3. If you do not manage 9 minutes, you fail. I was within 20 seconds of giving up but was encouraged and pushed on by the Dr, who was excellent. I was exhausted at the end.

I assume I will have to repeat this in three years time and intend to be fitter and lighter by that time, or alternatively get a MH under 3500kg.

There are alternatives to the treadmill, which I think make use of drugs, so you may enquire about this.

I bet you were relieved to pass.

Odd in a way though, If an applicant fails this test, he can still drive away in a 3499kg van. Has to be a cut off I guess. And the only way to be fair to all drivers would be to test all drivers.

So in answer to my post then, the feared treadmill test is only undertaken by those with a pre-existing heart condition such as yourself.
When an applicant with no known heart condition rolls up to undergo the standard medical for C1 over 70 extension, then no treadmill?

Afraid I cannot give an answer as to how DVLA will react. I suspect as a result of the bin lorry tragedy, in Glasgow, things have changed. In my one call with DVLA I was told that there had been many changes so that’s what I took out of it.

Thanks anyway. I guess anything could happen regarding DVLA requirements in the next 5 years. And I may develop a dodgy strawberry within that period....or worse! Who knows.

The feared treadmill test is only undertaken by those with a pre-existing heart condition such as yourself.
When an applicant with no known heart condition rolls up to undergo the standard medical for C1 over 70 extension, then no treadmill?

Due for my next medical in April and can agree with the above. No history of heart problems, no Treadmill Test. Incidentally I had one years ago as a long term asthmatic, but not for driving.

I bet you were relieved to pass.

Odd in a way though, If an applicant fails this test, he can still drive away in a 3499kg van. Has to be a cut off I guess. And the only way to be fair to all drivers would be to test all drivers.

So in answer to my post then, the feared treadmill test is only undertaken by those with a pre-existing heart condition such as yourself.

:(SSSHHHHH! Shutup! do not give them any more ideas, this one will be coming in the next few years anyway.
If you have had no cardiac trouble they may still ask for it to make sure you have not had a silent coronary. about half of normal exams get that one thrown in as an extra. The last ECG I did I failed because of. odd readings at 13 minute and ten seconds so they stopped it. It was the last segment of the BRUCE protocol at god knows what incline and about 6 mph. That went on the record and my doctor says that I will fail the HGV medical because it was on my record as a fail, I do not know where this cut off at 9 minutes came from.

:(SSSHHHHH! Shutup! do not give them any more ideas, this one will be coming in the next few years anyway.
If you have had no cardiac trouble they may still ask for it to make sure you have not had a silent coronary. about half of normal exams get that one thrown in as an extra. The last ECG I did I failed because of. odd readings at 13 minute and ten seconds so they stopped it. It was the last segment of the BRUCE protocol at god knows what incline and about 6 mph. That went on the record and my doctor says that I will fail the HGV medical because it was on my record as a fail, I do not know where this cut off at 9 minutes came from.

I have, and never have had, any cardiac troubles, only circulation problems recently diagnosed, so I would not go on the assumption it is only related to cardiac troubles.
As regards the 9 minutes, I have no idea why at that level and would be interested to no why the differences although not volunteering for anything different.

I have, and never have had, any cardiac troubles, only circulation problems recently diagnosed, so I would not go on the assumption it is only related to cardiac troubles.
As regards the 9 minutes, I have no idea why at that level and would be interested to no why the differences although not volunteering for anything different.

Yes of course you're correct, someone may well possess a healthy heart yet poor circulation elsewhere could result in a blood clot ending up at the brain resulting in a stroke.

Due for my next medical in April and can agree with the above. No history of heart problems, no Treadmill Test. Incidentally I had one years ago as a long term asthmatic, but not for driving.

Hope this is the case in 5 years!!

I give you my full permission to delete the post in question. I haven't the heart to do it myself!

I had a stress test before my heart valve operation and fully expect to have another one to confirm that the new Aortic Valve is doing the job. This would be done as part of my ongoing treatment.

DVLA are generally pretty good to deal with on medical issues, I've had correspondence with them recently concerning my C and C1 licence groups, no problem at all, but I will have to satisfy them that my heart etc is good and not likely to go 'pop'.

The section that deals with this stuff is: DVLA, Drivers Medical Group, Swansea, SA99 1DF. 0300 790 6806

They would expect to see your own GP conducting any medical, especially after major surgery, but your eyesight can be tested by your regular optician.

DVLA will conduct post-application enquiries if they feel that there is any grounds for doubt over your health and fitness to drive, even given a clear medical.

If you have irregular heartbeat (Atrial Fibrillation or 'AF') then they will want to see three clear months after treatment (Cardioversion) to show that the treatment has succeeded.

It's not a big thing if you are fairly healthy, and I'm thankful that my last medical found my heart valve problem, otherwise I probably wouldn't have lasted more than three more years.

Peter

Can usually get the stress test done on an exercise bike if you have back problems

I had my heart attack & triple by pass back in 2004 with no heart related problems since. I don't suffer from any agina & the only reason they might have apart from my previous heart problems was my blood pressure was slightly raised but still just about in the normal range. After I was recovering from my heart by pass & a few years later when I had a check up I could just about manage 7 mins before they stopped the test. Maybe should have saved the hassle & the doctors fee & just accept my license without the C1. I could have renewed it online by just declaring I am fit to drive, has anybody ever had their license taken away altogether after having the medical or can they only remove the C1?

They can withdraw your complete licence if you are medically unfit to drive.

Peter

The alternative to the treadmill if you cannot complete it is the gamma drug one where you are injected with a radio active die and a drug which increases your heart rate (puts it under a drug induced stress/workload)

You then lie is a machine similiar to a CT scan for 20 minutes whilst it takes a 'video' of your heart beating.

You then have to gp back in a few days time and repeat the scenario without your heart being stressed and they then compare the two results.

I passed mine but you have to do it again to renew in three years and I could not be bothered again, it costs the DVLA a lot of money.

The only reason I had to do it was because I had a couple of stents in my groin, nothing to do with my heart, it was blood circulation to legs !!

Peter

The problem is that testing often cannot predict a problem. I had a valid CAA class one medical at the time that I had a heart attack. This is to a higher requirement than anything for driving.

The letter I got from the DVLA says at the top they are 'considering my fitness to drive Group 2 (lorry or bus) entitlement'. I am supposed wait 7 days after receiving the letter then I need to arrange an appointment within 6 weeks if possible. After the test they will wait up to 3 weeks before they contact the doctor if they haven't had the result, then they will review the results which might take several weeks. Also they might need to contact my doctor or the consultant for further information. All this time I am left without a license, before we sold the motorhome we had considered going to Spain for Jan-Feb, before applying for my renewal. If I had known how long this is likely to take I don't think I would have bothered.

While I agree there should be regular medicals for professional drivers I don't think that it should be the same for retaining the C1 motorhome category. It would be ok if they changed the weight limit as I can't ever see me driving anything like 7.5 ton, a realistic figure of maybe 4500 kgs would sufficient for almost all of the motorhomes. If somebody wants a RV which could be much heavier then maybe they need to have the lorry/bus medical assessment.

Provided you have made application and no of no reason why you cannot drive you can still drive your MH, however try explaining that to a Spanish policeman. ( The grammar police are going to love this one?)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back