Dumfries and Galloway anyone?

barryd

When we leave Arran we are thinking of heading down to the Mull of Galloway and working our way along towards Dumfries. I can see there are a fair few wild spots and some look ok but I am not sure at the moment if I still have a battery issue or not. Looking for recommendations of wild spots that are tucked away and quiet, small sites or CLs etc and must sees along that coast. I have been a couple of times before but its a long time. We have the scooter so will explore on that so just looking for tucked away bases for the van.

When we leave Arran we are thinking of heading down to the Mull of Galloway and working our way along towards Dumfries. I can see there are a fair few wild spots and some look ok but I am not sure at the moment if I still have a battery issue or not. Looking for recommendations of wild spots that are tucked away and quiet, small sites or CLs etc and must sees along that coast. I have been a couple of times before but its a long time. We have the scooter so will explore on that so just looking for tucked away bases for the van.
Winks put a place up near Laurieston it’s called Craig Croft on S4S for details.

This was fabulous Barry. The couple will probably sort you out with a hookup if needed. Give them a bell, they are very helpful.

Just over the hill from Gatehouse where, I’m told, excellent breakfast rolls can be had.

Cheers

H

20200314_100619.jpg
20200314_092749.jpg
Loch Trool / Glen Trool lots of parking up spots but no EHU. Head to the visitor centre then turn right lots of places to the right and parking at the carpark or further up at the top parking for a smaller van .
20200315_090009.jpg
20200314_101744.jpg

Brilliant stuff chaps (well apart from that little Goblin Maingate). I found the Graig Croft parkup on Search for Sites. Looks like there is a Loch near maybe for Kayaking. Was thinking of staying round the coast though but might give it a try.

Jury is still out on the battery. I guess we will know in a couple of days. Perhaps Mr Maingate could point out to me where I might buy one on the Isle of Arran. 🥴 Having said that I guess if we do go to the mainland there will be somewhere on the route down from Ardrossan to the Mull of Galloway that sells them.

Brilliant stuff chaps (well apart from that little Goblin Maingate). I found the Graig Croft parkup on Search for Sites. Looks like there is a Loch near maybe for Kayaking. Was thinking of staying round the coast though but might give it a try.

Jury is still out on the battery. I guess we will know in a couple of days. Perhaps Mr Maingate could point out to me where I might buy one on the Isle of Arran. 🥴 Having said that I guess if we do go to the mainland there will be somewhere on the route down from Ardrossan to the Mull of Galloway that sells them.
I bet it was Michelle who worked that out. :ROFLMAO:

It's good that one person in the family has brains. :ROFLMAO:

Nice spot down by the old lighthouse Jetty here:

///harmonica.copiers.loud

Not exactly a wild spot, but nobody there when I visited. Farmer came round and collected money £2 at the time, tough that was a couple of years ago.

Morph

I bet it was Michelle who worked that out. :ROFLMAO:

It's good that one person in the family has brains. :ROFLMAO:

Actually Shorty Im the brains behind this outfit not her ladyship who is just there to look beautiful on the back of me scooter.

Nice spot down by the old lighthouse Jetty here:

///harmonica.copiers.loud

Not exactly a wild spot, but nobody there when I visited. Farmer came round and collected money £2 at the time, tough that was a couple of years ago.

Morph
Cheers

I think I found that one earlier. If the battery is ok will give it a go. I just hope that part of Scotland is not too busy. Its got really busy with motorhomes here on Arran since the beginning of September. August was much quieter.

This was fabulous Barry. The couple will probably sort you out with a hookup if needed. Give them a bell, they are very helpful.

Just over the hill from Gatehouse where, I’m told, excellent breakfast rolls can be had.

Cheers

H
We're thinking of this one maybe next week. It was the mention of the Kite Feeding station that caught my attention.

Anyone been to Loch Doon in the Galloway forest (I think)?

Sounds very remote

Wondering about going that way down to the south west coast rather than the sea road. Thats if I can get off Arran of course. All the ferries are booked. :D

Anyone been to Loch Doon in the Galloway forest (I think)?

Sounds very remote

Wondering about going that way down to the south west coast rather than the sea road. Thats if I can get off Arran of course. All the ferries are booked. :D
Can get very very busy down there especially at weekends, despite the pictures.Its too close and accesible to Glasgow.
I think the forest drive is still closed there as well (due to too many undesireables abusing it).

Was going to suggest the Raiders Road or Polmaddy Burn as an alternative to Loch Doon. Was that at Otters Pool Stu?

Cheers

H

Can get very very busy down there especially at weekends, despite the pictures.Its too close and accesible to Glasgow.
I think the forest drive is still closed there as well (due to too many undesireables abusing it).

Someone on FACTS said the same. Doesnt sound very good. When I looked at it on Google Maps I thought it just looked remote and very unlikely to be busy. I guess Loch Ken further down maybe even busier then. I wonder if we should stick to the original plan and head down the coast to the Mull of Galloway and then along the coast towards Dumfries although its not much of a detour to drive inland past the lochs.

I guess when we get to that area along the coast just south of the Lochs we could always ride up on the scooter for the day. Weather permitting.

Yes otter pools. Only 2 vans there sat night. 4 vans parked at West entrance. There's a few other places along road to pull in depending on size of van. Road is in good condition but max speed of 10 miles per hour if you want to keep your fillings!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back