Duke of Cumberland Pub, Kendal

This message yesterday, 28th Sept 2022, from BanjoBilly over in Cumbria.

"BEWARE - the Duke of Cumberland pub. Kendal. I called in one evening two weeks ago to go to a music session. It was my first time in there. I stayed for an hour and bought several drinks for me and a friend.

Today I received a parking ticket, demanding £60.00 for parking in the car park adjoining the pub. Thinking it was a scam I called The Duke, who were aware of the problem but told me that I failed to put my car registration into a device at the bar, so it was my own fault. The car park belonged to their landlord, Punch Pubs, so they could do nothing about it and I should pay the fine.

It was dark and raining when I arrived, the car park sign said 'Patrons Only' and the barman did not warn me, there was no device or sign visible on the bar, so how was I supposed to know? After a Google search I found that dozens of others have had the same problem.

The Duke denied any responsibility, and were100% unhelpful, even though dozens of people have been caught and this has been going on for well over a year. How difficult would it be to train the staff to let people know, or to give every customer a slip of paper to tell them, or at least put a sign on the bar?

As for the landlords, Punch Pubs, (who also run The Fleece Inn in Kendal,) they are a pack of greedy, grasping, penny-pinching, stingy, tight-fisted, money-grubbing, maggots. May they rot. You have been warned."

Quite a few terrible reviews on Trip Advisor including the one from Bill, most citing the car park scam.

To be honest in these increasingly difficult times I'm amazed a place like this is still in business.

It just would never occur to me that you would get a fine for parking in a pub car park. Someone said if you appeal you will eventually get your money back but its jumping through a lot of hoops apparently.

The only way to treat businesses that use these rip off parking companies is to boycott them. I haven’t darkened Aldis door for years since they were one of the first to use these tactics. Eventually if enough boycott things will change as the type of companies employing these firms have only an interest in making themselves more money. Reading the trip advisor reviews of this pub they have obviously already lost much regular business over this.

Same deal at the Lamb Inn in Stone, Staffs.

Parking-Eye erected camera's and signage without planning permission then retrospectively applied and permission was given. The signage is all but invisible at night due to lack of lighting and the fact bushes and trees obscure them. Other businesses close by are affected due to lack of parking in the immediate area and to be blunt, the Lamb Inn is bloody awful and you rarely see more than half a dozen cars in the 50+ parking bays.
A lot of people were caught out [including me] until word got around that the landlord is a "greedy, grasping, penny-pinching, stingy, tight-fisted, money-grubbing, maggot", just like the greedy, grasping, penny-pinching, stingy, tight-fisted, money-grubbing, maggot at the Duke in Kendal.
Before your time but happy nights at the

The Wayfarer​

This message yesterday, 28th Sept 2022, from BanjoBilly over in Cumbria.

"BEWARE - the Duke of Cumberland pub. Kendal. I called in one evening two weeks ago to go to a music session. It was my first time in there. I stayed for an hour and bought several drinks for me and a friend.

Today I received a parking ticket, demanding £60.00 for parking in the car park adjoining the pub. Thinking it was a scam I called The Duke, who were aware of the problem but told me that I failed to put my car registration into a device at the bar, so it was my own fault. The car park belonged to their landlord, Punch Pubs, so they could do nothing about it and I should pay the fine.

It was dark and raining when I arrived, the car park sign said 'Patrons Only' and the barman did not warn me, there was no device or sign visible on the bar, so how was I supposed to know? After a Google search I found that dozens of others have had the same problem.

The Duke denied any responsibility, and were100% unhelpful, even though dozens of people have been caught and this has been going on for well over a year. How difficult would it be to train the staff to let people know, or to give every customer a slip of paper to tell them, or at least put a sign on the bar?

As for the landlords, Punch Pubs, (who also run The Fleece Inn in Kendal,) they are a pack of greedy, grasping, penny-pinching, stingy, tight-fisted, money-grubbing, maggots. May they rot. You have been warned."
I am no lawyer but surely just do not pay..
It is a civil claim
Unlike a council carpark fine which is legally supported.
So they might take you to court but.
A I doubt it
B The judge would rule in your favour.
Write a carefully worded letter briefly explaining their failings.
As with Lidl and others these carpark "Barons" rely on us taking the easy option And make it very difficult to challenge them..no contact details etc.

I am no lawyer but surely just do not pay..
It is a civil claim
Unlike a council carpark fine which is legally supported.
So they might take you to court but.
A I doubt it
B The judge would rule in your favour.
Write a carefully worded letter briefly explaining their failings.
As with Lidl and others these carpark "Barons" rely on us taking the easy option And make it very difficult to challenge them..no contact details etc.
My thoughts entirely.
From what Marie has posted there are grounds to question this fine.
And grounds mean a case can be made.
Bottom line for £60 would they consider legal action, I doubt it.
But it’s for Marie to decide.

It might be a civil case, but (if there is adequate signage) you can be deemed to have violated the terms of the contract to which you agreed by parking. AIUI, parking companies have become much more aggressive in taking these cases to court.
IANAL but AFAICT, you must appeal initially within 28 days or be deemed to have accepted the charge.
Again, AFAICT, the saving grace here might be the amount being charged. According to the linked web page, the cost of a private parking charge is capped at £50 outside London and £80 inside. By charging £60, the operators might have created an unfair contract, but IANAL and this post cannot be construed as any sort of advice!

Dunno, if the sign just says that parking is for patrons of the pub, then you'd be able to argue that you were in the pub and spending money. Unless all the palava about giving details of your reg number to the barman is on the sign, and I bet it isn't.

My thoughts entirely.
From what Marie has posted there are grounds to question this fine.
And grounds mean a case can be made.
Bottom line for £60 would they consider legal action, I doubt it.
But it’s for Marie to decide.

Not me, it’s Banjo Billy has to decide.

I wasn’t at the pub in question, never been there 😎

When they know it is a problem, why aren’t the staff informing customers that they need to register their car details?
Surely when they are taking the customers order they could just mention it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back