Ducato X250 Engine cover

Mossystone

Hi We have just purchased a new (secondhand) van. it is based on the ducato X250 2008. I had been assured by the dealer that the water on the injectors problem was solved with the fitting of an engine cover. However I noticed this morning that water is sitting on the cylinder head around the injectors. The engine cover has a cut-out area towards the top near side which lets water through.

I have attempted to attach a photo but not sure if successful. Can anyone advise on whether the cover is the right one. Should there be an improved cover?

060.jpg
059.jpg

Last edited:
From memory, I think the problem was sorted by modifying the crap scuttle drain (that didn't work and flooded the top of the engine).

An online search using the correct words should bring up better info.

During the summer I dont worry about it - there is little rain (say he laughing) and the engine is in daily use but during the winter lay up I lay a thick sheet of vinyl over the engine because if I dont the whole thing gets covered in water and any bit that will hold water - such as around the injectors - gets filled up and it just doesnt evaporate.

I have been told that it does no harm - I dont know about that but Im certain it does no good!

-I did as you suggested Maingate and found that a Peugeot owner had fitted an extra water catcher and drain pipe to his van supplied by Peugeot.

Does any one reading this know if this will fit the Fiat version? This was on the Autosleepers owners forum.

I had a new x250 in 2007, and in 2008 it went back to the dealers for some recall work, and water sitting round the injectors was one problem the "sorted". How I hear you ask? By blathering the top of the engine and injectors with wax oil !!! brilliant.

I think a small bit of plastic further up might just redirect any water that comes through the scuttle away from the cut out, but the Fiat doesn't seem to be that suspect to injector faults, so it may not worth worrying about.

Stu

The first thing I do when I get a vehicle is remove those stupid engine covers!

If the air is allowed to circulate then it keeps the engine drier, all they do is make it harder to check things & make the engine bay look neat.

Phill

The first thing I do when I get a vehicle is remove those stupid engine covers!

If the air is allowed to circulate then it keeps the engine drier, all they do is make it harder to check things & make the engine bay look neat.

Phill

Danger to remove on iveco sofem ohc ,same as fiat engine,i hate all that garb to but left mine there for above.
You will also notice the drain hose from heater intake directing away and below donky.

Attachments

• belt change 5 16.jpg
    belt change 5 16.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 305
It's definitely worth a small mod on Trafic/Vivaro as the water getting on the injectors can result in a written off engine.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back