Ducato engine cooling fan

MarkJ

Free Member
Anyone know why lots of newish Ducatos, mine included, have engine cooling fans which keep coming on for a few seconds then going off, only to come on again 10 seconds later and so on?

You can only hear the fan when you’re outside the vehicle so maybe when you’re moving at a sensible speed this doesn’t happen, but it’s noticeable when you hear them manoeuvering.

Just wondered....

Anyone know why lots of newish Ducatos, mine included, have engine cooling fans which keep coming on for a few seconds then going off, only to come on again 10 seconds later and so on?

You can only hear the fan when you’re outside the vehicle so maybe when you’re moving at a sensible speed this doesn’t happen, but it’s noticeable when you hear them manoeuvering.

Just wondered....

You sure it's the engine fan and not the aircon condensor fan?

On My works 2016 Boxer the engine fan rarely runs.... However the aircon fan cuts in and out regularly (every few seconds or so) when the aircon is running as temp builds in the condensor

Suspect that it is to do with latent heat. Although the engine has stopped running there will be an increase in temperature giving off latent heat, until the engine starts to cool, hence the fans will continue to operate via a temperature sensor until cooled sufficiently

You sure it's the engine fan and not the aircon condensor fan?

On My works 2016 Boxer the engine fan rarely runs.... However the aircon fan cuts in and out regularly (every few seconds or so) when the aircon is running as temp builds in the condensor

Ah, no, not sure. Just assumed it was the cooling fan. Maybe I’ll open the bonnet next time I start up and check!

Suspect that it is to do with latent heat. Although the engine has stopped running there will be an increase in temperature giving off latent heat, until the engine starts to cool, hence the fans will continue to operate via a temperature sensor until cooled sufficiently

Yes, it does run on after you’ve turned off, but this can be almost immediately after a cold start and while the engine is running.

Ah, no, not sure. Just assumed it was the cooling fan. Maybe I’ll open the bonnet next time I start up and check!

Turn the aircon off IF it's switched on (I leave mine turned on all the time.... Only actually runs the compressor when the dashboard stat is turned low....
Aircon on helps speed up demisting as it dries the air.... It also helps prolong the amount of time that the refrigerant stays, in the system by keeping the seals lubricated and supple ;-)

Allso when you stop let your engine tick over for a minit or so to allow the turbo to cool down.

Allso when you stop let your engine tick over for a minit or so to allow the turbo to cool down.

I've heard that before, but millions of people wouldn't do that ever, like my wife with here Golf. Not sure it makes any difference.

Letting the turbo ‘spool’ down is important. We drive Nissan XTrails and according to reviews, can’t recall wether Parker’s or honest John, failing to allow the turbo to spool down leads to the shortening of the turbo lifespan and possibly expensive failure. It was listed as a common fault. Seems like sense to a non mechanically minded person like me.

Davy

Letting the turbo cool down is only really important after a heavy blast along a motorway etc... Not such an issue after a general drive (especially on normal performance motors)
Mate of mine used to run a gen3 rx7 Mazda with uprated twin turbos (around 700bhp)
We used a turbo timer on that to give the oil to the turbo bearings chance to cool after a run.
(turbo timer just allowed the engine to idle for a minute or two with all the cooling fans running and the keys out of the ignition before shutting down.)

Good idea not to blip the throttle before turning the engine off too on turbod motors(gawd knows why somefolks still think it's a good idea) as it'll spool the turbo up before starving the bearings of fresh oil as the engine stops turning BUT turbo is still spinning.

I,ve always thought that it was the AC switching on an off. As both of mine without have never done it

Spot on - linked to whether the air con is running.

Thank you, mriceman and witzend! Sorted....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back